Beautifully crafted stands from Soundfoundations

Fiftyfifty

Staff member
Hi

Take a look at the stands in the picture. Kudos to Soundfoundations!

It started with my need to move from solid speaker stands to lossy ones. A second requirement was for a low mass high rigidity stand for my RP10, as recommended by Rega.. Lastly, I wanted to move my equipment rack and TT to the side wall and avoid confusing reflections from behind the speakers. . A few ideas exchanged with Ali (Khozema) and we went ahead with a design where the stands met my requirements and also matched well with each other as a family. Soon I had with me a trio of immaculately designed stands, so pleasing to the eye that I could not resist posting them here.

The equipment rack is all steel, weighing 45kgs, while the speaker and TT stands are Aluminium + Steel. The construction and finish are top notch, the powder coating is great quality, the steel parts, the spikes, the threads all machined to the exact size. They came packed so well that it took me more time to unpack than to assemble :)

The aesthets would have little meaning had the sq been compromised. But the result was pleasing not just to the eyes, but also to the ears. (I would encourage others to experiment with moving their racks away from behind or between speakers to the side wall)

Here goes....

IMG_20230502_201149-01.jpegIMG_20230502_210006-01.jpegIMG_20230503_090524-01.jpegIMG_20230503_140050-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi

It started with my need to move from solid speaker stands to lossy ones. A second requirement was for a low mass high rigidity stand for my RP10, as recommended by Rega.. Lastly, I wanted to move my equipment rack and TT to the side wall and avoid confusing reflections from behind the speakers. . A few ideas exchanged with Khozema and we went ahead with a design where the stands met my requirements and also matched well with each other as a family. Soon I had with me a trio of immaculately designed stands, so pleasing to the eye that I could not resist posting them here.

The equipment rack is all steel, weighing 45kgs, while the speaker and TT stands are Aluminium + Steel. The construction and finish are top notch, the powder coating is great quality, the steel parts, the spikes, the threads all machined to the exact size. They came packed so well that it took me more time to unpack than to assemble :)

The aesthets would have little meaning had the sq been compromised. But the result was pleasing not just to the eyes, but also to the ears. (I would encourage others to experiment with moving their racks away from behind or between speakers to the side wall)

Here goes....
Very nicely designed and looks very clean, Kishore. Congratulations! Will the integrated amp also come onto the rack in time? Will be difficult to connect rca cables that far right..

Hi

It started with my need to move from solid speaker stands to lossy ones. A second requirement was for a low mass high rigidity stand for my RP10, as recommended by Rega.. Lastly, I wanted to move my equipment rack and TT to the side wall and avoid confusing reflections from behind the speakers. . A few ideas exchanged with Ali (Khozema) and we went ahead with a design where the stands met my requirements and also matched well with each other as a family. Soon I had with me a trio of immaculately designed stands, so pleasing to the eye that I could not resist posting them here.

Here goes....

View attachment 76837View attachment 76838View attachment 76839View attachment 76840
lovely looking stands and kit :)

All my racks, stands and speaker pedestals are from sound foundations. The fit and finish is excellent and classy looking. Ive been recommending them to my friends ever since.

I really wish i had the room to reposition the racks and gear to the side. But the room is small, and too much gear to fit on one side. But will see if its doable, as this has been on my mind for sometime now.

Including the shelves? They somehow look like wood in the pics. If so, which wood is it?
looks like bamboo to me :)

Ideally we need a porous and long fiber structure to dissipate the vibrations. And bamboo is great at that.

Plus I should add great one on one customer service too. I got some custom stands for my power amps maybe 3 or 4 years back. Now need 3 more exact stands as more kit has been added. I didnt have any record of their design or dimensions, as I need to stack them one above the other. But Mr.Ali still had it from all those years back :)

Iam impressed. Should be having the extra stands soon :)

Looks neat and wonderful. Im sure it must be sounding the same .Im reminded of the earlier setup which I had the priviledge of listening a few years back.What are source components in the various racks and the phono cartridge in RP10?

Looks neat and wonderful. Im sure it must be sounding the same .Im reminded of the earlier setup which I had the priviledge of listening a few years back.What are source components in the various racks and the phono cartridge in RP10?
Thanks Himadri, feels good to recall your visit to my place in Pune a few years ago. In Goa now. The components from bottom shelf to the top: 1. Power supplies, 2. Silent Angel streamer, 3. Weiss Medea DAC, 4. Jaya Audio CD transport. The RP10 came with the Aphelion MC cart but I also use the Hana ML.
Do visit again!
Cheers

You meant Jays Audio right !
Very nice and neatly done room.
Any particular reason for choosing this design for the wood shelf instead of a full piece wood shelf.
Damping or Resonance benefits ?
Thanks, yes that was a typo. It's Jays Audio. No particular reason for those slits in the wood - just a design element, but maybe @magma can comment.
Regards

It's a theory by quadraspire
Lighter shelves , they say lighter shelves are better sounding
And the slats are supposed to be helpful
In resonance management and vibration dissipation

Hi

Here goes....

View attachment 76837View attachment 76838View attachment 76839View attachment 76840
Gorgeous setup

Had a wonderful listening session at fiftyfifty yesterday. The system not only looks nice, the sound too is nice. Thanks fiftyfifty for the great hospitality. Also had the pleasure of meeting Essrand for the first time at fiftyfifty’s place.

Had a wonderful listening session at fiftyfifty yesterday. The system not only looks nice, the sound too is nice. Thanks fiftyfifty for the great hospitality. Also had the pleasure of meeting Essrand for the first time at fiftyfifty’s place.
It was a pleasure and a privilege, @prem . Thank you for your valuable inputs, which in a matter of hours, brought in big improvements in the sound quality and also helped me better understand the nuances of good sound!

Just got most of my amps back from regular service. And wanted extra racks to house the whole setup. So reached out to sound foundations again. My original amp stands are custom from sound foundations and were built in 2018. I wanted exact same new ones, so I could stack one above the other. But I didnt have their design or dimension details from the past. I could measure with a tape, but when we are talking about millimeter precision, that wont work either. Since I wanted exact replica's I offered to courier back one of my amp stands. But luckily Mr.Ali ( aka @magma ) had the records of my previous build. ( Apparently he has records of everything :D ). So we got 3 more exact stands built.

And while we were at it, I also went with a few pairs of Cerabase ( Isobase ) isolators to add further isolation in the stack.

Got my stands delivered yesterday. And rigged everything up today. Holy cow... they are beautifully machined and built. The fit and finish is nothing short of stunning.

Below is how the top amp rack's spike fits exactly into the cup of the lower rack. That's called precision in my books :D

IMG-20230531-WA0010.jpg

Below is how i added Cerabases to add height and further isolation between different levels of the stack. The idea is to isolate the CD player and the turn table from the rest of the gear when one of them is playing.

IMG-20230531-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230531-WA0009.jpg

So this is what the whole rig looks like. Everything white that you see in the pic is from sound foundations. And that includes the massive speaker plinths, central epsilion rack ( this houses only the source components ), and the twin side amp stands that hold my 3 pairs of mono blocks. And every rack or stand grounds into the one below through a cup and spike arrangement due to immaculately precise machining. All in all, Iam extremely delighted with them. I really dont know if it has improved the sound, my hearing is all but mostly shot, I struggle to hear differences between dacs or cables. So even if there is an improvement, it is beyond my hearing ability. So i will not tread into that subject. But what they do, is house my whole kit beautifully and aesthetically, while still isolating each component from the other.

IMG-20230531-WA0007.jpg
And below is a pic of my speakers on sound foundations speaker plinths, I have external passive crossover boxes for my DIY speakers built by @Hari Iyer . And the room is small. So i went with the plinths to reduce bass transmission into the floor and into my lower apartment. And at the same time, house the crossover boxes underneath. My lower neighbour has never complained about my immense listening levels ever since. So the plinths do work, and the bass doesnt travel to the floor below. The crossovers are usually off the floor and on townshend seismic platforms, but they are currently with a friend. ( And yessss...isolating the crossovers from floor borne vibrations makes a noticable diference ). All in all, a few of the items you see are custom for my requirements. But most of the rest is readily available on their sound foundations site. I guess Iam almost sounding like a advert, but I would like to call myself a convert. And one who is immensely pleased with the end result. And I should add, that we are now in talks to build a custom TT stand for me. So I can move the TT rig upto the phonostage to the side of the room. As it currently is annoyingly at head height.

IMG-20230531-WA0012.jpg
I thought I will add further about the speaker plinths.

IMG-20230531-WA0017.jpg

The design and implementation is different from the norm, but it works beautifully. Each speaker is almost 100 kgs, so the usual isoacoustics or townshend isolators will cost a bomb to work their magic on these speakers. So we got these plinths custom built to drain the residual vibrations into their housing shoes at the bottom. And the speakers themselves dont sit on plinths as is usually the norm. The speakers sit on cera bases. And the cerabases isolate as much as they can. And the residual vibration is transmitted to the steel plinth. Which then drains the vibration through its stainless steel legs, which are again filled with vibration absorbing attabites. So whatever is left, goes into the cups on the floor holding the spikes.

Below is a pic to show the shape and design of the speaker plinth.
IMG-20230531-WA0016.jpg
Vibrations travel along lines of low pressure. Hence the shape is designed to move the vibrations to the corner of the plinth, where the legs with inbuilt attabites absorbs the residual vibration from the cerabases. And what is left is drained to the cups on the floor. And ive experimented with the placement of cera bases and spikes under the speakers. And finally settled with no spikes in front. So the rear of the speakers have a spike ( Again from sound foundations ) going into a cerabase. And the front doesnt have a spike, and just rests on a cerabase. The end result is excellent bass clarity, and an uptick in imaging without annoying my neighbours.. I guess I will stop now, or it will look like a paid endorsement :D.

And did I mention that the pricing is very very reasonable for what you get in the end :). Some of my stuff is custom, so is slightly more expensive than the readily available kit on the site. But everytime you go custom, there will be obvious new challenges in design and implementation. And with @magma being very particular about what he delivers......it will take up his precious time to research the design and come up with a build. So, all in all, Iam extremely happy with my stuff from sound foundations, over the last 5 years. And Iam confident enough to proceed with my next TT stand build with them. Will post pics once I have it in the house. And thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• IMG-20230531-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20230531-WA0016.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back