Wooden Speaker Stands!!

Brilliant @rahuln, I went to my local wood store today morning to see. It is a large warehouse with pellets, logs, planks etc. Sheesham and Sal were as expected exhorbitantly priced, however Mango and Jackfruit (beautiful stuff) wood was quite affordable. Moreover as they have a cutting machine, I can have them cut the planks/logs the way I would like in the exact dimensions. So gluing/joining/polishing etc which I have done many times before, should not be a hassle at all. All inclusive I am guessing it shouldn't cost more than 10-12 grand as 2 large planks one a cube shaped - 8ft by*4inch*4inch and top and bottom wooden plates was coming at around 9-10k including cutting to size. The guy who showed me the stuff however asked me to come back when his boss was over, as he will then tell me correct price, so I hope he wasn't off by much.

Brilliant @rahuln, I went to my local wood store today morning to see. It is a large warehouse with pellets, logs, planks etc. Sheesham and Sal were as expected exhorbitantly priced, however Mango and Jackfruit (beautiful stuff) wood was quite affordable. Moreover as they have a cutting machine, I can have them cut the planks/logs the way I would like in the exact dimensions. So gluing/joining/polishing etc which I have done many times before, should not be a hassle at all. All inclusive I am guessing it shouldn't cost more than 10-12 grand as 2 large planks one a cube shaped - 8ft by*4inch*4inch and top and bottom wooden plates was coming at around 9-10k including cutting to size. The guy who showed me the stuff however asked me to come back when his boss was over, as he will then tell me correct price, so I hope he wasn't off by much.
You may choose two tone if there is no plan to have hollow columns.
Shesham is denser than the others listed, will give the stand "wazan"
Cheers,
Raghu

You may choose two tone if there is no plan to have hollow columns.
Shesham is denser than the others listed, will give the stand "wazan"
Cheers,
Raghu
Hey Yep, I went there for the look and feel primarily, surprisingly, jackfruit wood wasn't much lighter than the sheesham. I had no clue Jackfruit wood is used for furniture. The guy told me - not sure how true it was though - that is is denser and they use it for carved doors, which take the monsoon brunt here. It also was quite beautiful.

I believe - the 4X4 should work as a single column supporting the speakers up top? I am not sure though, most of the designs I have seen are with 2 or more columns.

Last edited:
Hey Yep, I went there for the look and feel primarily, surprisingly, jackfruit wood wasn't much lighter than the sheesham. I had no clue Jackfruit wood is used for furniture. The guy told me - not sure how true it was though - that is is denser and they use it for carved doors, which take the monsoon brunt here. It also was quite beautiful.

I believe - the 4X4 should work as a single column supporting the speakers up top? I am not sure though, most of the designs I have seen are with 2 or more columns.

Yup. Don't use hollow pillars. I have 4 pillars each of 2x2 inches as my speakers are quite heavy (13.5 kg each). The wood used is a very good quality teak wood.

Yup. Don't use hollow pillars. I have 4 pillars each of 2x2 inches as my speakers are quite heavy (13.5 kg each). The wood used is a very good quality teak wood.
Will ensure I do not hollow pillars. I have also spoken to Mr.Murthy and sent him a photo of HifiRacks - duet racks with the dimension I would need. Lets see what will be quoted for those. With his experience and expertise I would perhaps shell a little extra and let be the engineer.

Do ensure that planks you buy (if you do go the DIY route) are 'seasoned' properly.

Back