Wooden Tonearms - TonearmAudio.com

Hi Joshua, if you really want to keep the budget low, you cannot go wrong with a Rega RB700. This arm sounds like music.

Any idea how this will compare to the Clearaudio Tangent Linear Tracking arm Clearaudio Tangent

This is available for $ 1K on clearance sale from its usual 2K-ish price.

I'm sorry I wouldn't know. You may have to scour the usual vinyl-centric forums for possible comparisons.

P.S: If it was me I just might place my bets on the Terminator based on it's (apparent) build quality and the many positive reviews...

Joshua, whats the Cartridge you are planning to use ?

I definitely would like to be able to use heavier cartridges like DL103. And of course lighter ones which I already have.
Joshua

Hi Joshua, if you really want to keep the budget low, you cannot go wrong with a Rega RB700. This arm sounds like music.

The product description of this arm says "the arm is aluminium, specially coated and remains a light mass arm," or something to that effect. Any idea if it will handle something like a DL 103 with the stock counterweight? The Moth 700 (which is nothing but Rega RB700 OEM) is available new, $300 cheaper than any other seller, at Home Page ($599 v/s the usual $899).

Also, if one were to go the RB700/Moth 700 way, does it make sense to go with OL1 full mod (sub $600, without the special interconnect)? The OL1 has often been compared to Rega arms higher up the food chain, and some even claim that it is as good as the Rega RB 1000 which is more than twice the cost of the OL1!
Joshua

Hi Jls001

Denon DL 103 will work with the Terminator. Thats a combo i was looking at a few months back. The Decca Gold is what the designer uses with the Terminator.

Hi Joshua,

The benefits of the Terminator are the pump which is a simple aquarium pump, not your high pressure exotic variety, condensation is less of an issue and sound is comparatively lesser, the air pressure if I remember does not have to be as high as other designs. The arm will work with any cart virtually. The designer uses it with Decca Jubilee and Reference carts, one user uses it with an Ortofon SPU (with a specially built arm by the maker). If I were to buy a linear tracker, this is the one I narrowed down to.

Regards

The stock arm is in a bad shape. I opened it and found that the rubber V mount where the arm pivots is in a bad shape. And mine happens to be the cream coloured type, which is considered even worse. There are replacement parts made with superior, modern materials, but in any case the stock tonearm is not considered highly even with mods. So one would be better off buying a new arm. Also the chrome plating on the arm tube is peeling off and looks quite ugly. Otherwise, it works.

Hi Joshua,

Knowing what I now do about your Lenco turntable, I am rather surprised that you bought it at all, except as a basis for a possible rebuild. It may be useful to completely redesign the plinth and the platter, retaining the motor unit but relooking at the entire system, including the drive system.

Regards.

Hi Joshua,

Knowing what I now do about your Lenco turntable, I am rather surprised that you bought it at all, except as a basis for a possible rebuild. It may be useful to completely redesign the plinth and the platter, retaining the motor unit but relooking at the entire system, including the drive system.

Regards.

Actually that was the idea. The stock arm looked tattered from day one, and there is not much one can do to improve it. The plinth is the default box design and is badly in need of replacing. The platter and motor are fine.

So I am building a large and heavy CLD plinth as per design available in Lenco Heaven. Need to buy ply wood once I finalise arm. Right now I am still torn between:
a) Clearaudio Tangent linear tracker
b) Terminator T3Pro linear tracker
c) Rega RB 700
d) Origin Live OL1
e) Origin Live Silver MkIIIa.

Of these, b) would be the costliest. My current thought is to leave room for a second arm (did that even for the TD124 plinth).

If one wants a vintage TT that will not involve any work (save for fixing a new cartridge), one can't go too wrong with the better DDs from Pioneer or Kenwood or Technics.

Actually that was the idea. The stock arm looked tattered from day one, and there is not much one can do to improve it. The plinth is the default box design and is badly in need of replacing. The platter and motor are fine...

So I am building a large and heavy CLD plinth as per design available in Lenco Heaven. Need to buy plywood once I finalise arm.

Hi Joshua,

You are proceeding on an interesting experiment. Have you read up on or experimented with plinth design?

I was interested by the elegance and simplicity of Asit's Scheu platter v drive using string tied with a knot. Will you try to adopt this or retain your original belt drive?

Regards.

Hi Joshua,

You are proceeding on an interesting experiment. Have you read up on or experimented with plinth design?

I was interested by the elegance and simplicity of Asit's Scheu platter v drive using string tied with a knot. Will you try to adopt this or retain your original belt drive?

Regards.

Hopefully I should be able to make it a success:) I have read up quite a bit and gained enough bravery to attempt it:lol: But I have not read so much as to give me sufficient wisdom to wisely withdraw from the enterprise. Time, and a much lighter wallet, will tell if I'm being foolhardy.

The Lenco doesn't have any form of belt. The motor drives the idler wheel, then the idler wheel drives the platter. This is unlike the TD124 whose initial drive from the motor is through a flat rubber belt that drives the idler which in turn drives the platter.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back