World Cinema

sandeepnaird

Hi,

Anyone around here who has an interest in world cinema (ie. neither hollywood, nor bollywood!!), please do post up your thoughts on them here. Some of my favorites include:

In The Mood For Love (DIR:WONG KAR WAI) CHINESE/CANTONESE

Three Iron (DIR:KIM KI DUK) KOREAN/MOSTLY SILENT

Goodbye Lenin (DIR: WOLFGANG BECKER) GERMAN

Dreamers (DIR : BERNARDO BERTOLUCCI) FRENCH

AGUIRRE, WRATH OF GOD (DIR: WERNER HERZOG) SPANISH/GERMAN

NOSTALGHIA (DIR: ANDREI TARKOVSKY) RUSSIAN

I AM CUBA (DIR : MIKHAIL KALTOZOV) SPANISH

EDIPO RE (DIR : PIER PAOLO PASOLINI) ITALIAN

Just to name a few though, harks me back to my film school days! which was not so long ago ofcourse, just a year back!

I personally love the work of Chan-wook Park. Very violent but yet great movies. He has created/is creating an amazing body of work. Unfortunately the DVDs I've collected are in Korean with English subtitles and I've not been able to pick up any of his movies dubbed in English per se. Still excellent movies and must see.

Chan-wook Park

Can you folks post the review links for the movies you list?

This will help us understand what the movie is about.

TIA
Regards

I personally love the work of Chan-wook Park. Very violent but yet great movies. He has created/is creating an amazing body of work. Unfortunately the DVDs I've collected are in Korean with English subtitles and I've not been able to pick up any of his movies dubbed in English per se. Still excellent movies and must see.

Chan-wook Park

I LOVE MINDLESS VIOLENCE! please, immediately, tell me where i can pick up Chan-wook Park's (innovatively!) violent CD's (video cd's till i get a home theatre)
regards

edit - like even calculated violent vengeance - directed vengeance - well, any sort of vengeance where the vengeful scenes are examined in great detail.

Last edited:
I LOVE MINDLESS VIOLENCE! please, immediately, tell me where i can pick up Chan-wook Park's (innovatively!) violent CD's (video cd's till i get a home theatre)
regards

edit - like even calculated violent vengeance - directed vengeance - well, any sort of vengeance where the vengeful scenes are examined in great detail.

Unfortunately they are not available locally. I've picked them up abroad while traveling. You can order on Amazon at Amazon.com: Chan-wook Park.

Can you folks post the review links for the movies you list?

This will help us understand what the movie is about.

TIA
Regards

I've posted the link on IMDB and that lists all of his movies. Of particular note are Oldboy and the Vengeance Trilogy. Just Google the director's name and the movie name and you'll get a ton of hits.

I recently watched a movie on UTV movies, Il liked it, here is the details. UTV-WM is a treat for movie buffs.

Name : Swindled
Cast : Alejandro Casaseca,ernesto Alterio,federico Luppi,gilbert Melki,manuel Alexandre,victoria Abril
Director : Miguel Bardem

Don't know if Ang Lee at Ang Lee and Chow Yun-Fat at Yun-Fat Chow can be categorized in world cinema since they're also mainstream Hollywood, but I do love their earlier work. Chow Yun-Fat is really, really cool.

There are lots of Indian movies made in (Malayalam and Bengali) which is far better than Bollywood movies. but Getting DVD's will be a problem:mad:

Adoor Gopalakrishnan and Satyajit Ray???

Yes Moserw you are right. But these people's films are not mainstream cinemas.But in Malayalam there are Some Mainstream film directors like Padmarajan(passed Away),TV Chandran,Barathan,Fazil,CB malayil and Blessy. people will remember their films for long time.

Last edited:
Hello,
two of my favourites are
1) Bicycle Thief
2) Miracle in Milan.

Both directed by italian director Vittorio De Sica. Filmwise they are really good and also I was amazed by the technical quality. for a film that was made almost 50 years ago looks and sounds very good. There are lot of bengali classic directors like Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak and Tapan sinha ( who recently passed away). Some of their films are really brilliant. The problem is in a country like India archieving is very poor. Unless a film is a commercial success then even producer doesn't care to protect a good copy. Hence most of these films although available in DVD are very poor in quality barely visible and barely listenable. Although there some exceptions I guess those films bagged national awards that's why got protected well.

Hello,
two of my favourites are
1) Bicycle Thief
2) Miracle in Milan.

Both directed by italian director Vittorio De Sica. Filmwise they are really good and also I was amazed by the technical quality. for a film that was made almost 50 years ago looks and sounds very good. There are lot of bengali classic directors like Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak and Tapan sinha ( who recently passed away). Some of their films are really brilliant. The problem is in a country like India archieving is very poor. Unless a film is a commercial success then even producer doesn't care to protect a good copy. Hence most of these films although available in DVD are very poor in quality barely visible and barely listenable. Although there some exceptions I guess those films bagged national awards that's why got protected well.
Yes right.. DVD Quality of these classic's are very poor. thats the factor why people are keep away from buying indian classics.

Is there a rental service that specializes only in critically acclaimed world movie classics in Bangalore?

would love to watch the movies being talked about.

Regards

Is there a rental service that specializes only in critically acclaimed world movie classics in Bangalore?

would love to watch the movies being talked about.

Regards

Seventymm does have a world cinema section, but not sure how is the selection.

UTV World Movies is a good channel if you get it or can have your cable operator air it.

Akira Kurosawa is one more fabulous director. I saw Hidden Fortress as a kid and I've been hooked ever since.

You'll find more info at Akira Kurosawa.

yes indeed...AKIRA KUROSAWA is also one of my own favorite, his movies like
(1) SEVEN SAMURAI.....was remade in hollywood as The Magnificent Seven.
(2) Ran: with the budget of $12 million, it was the most expensive Japanese film ever produced up to that time, powerful images & use of color, amazing fight sequences.
(3)High and low: might be the best detective movie with wholeness and complexity you rarely see in film.
(4)Yojimbo: A Fistful of Dollars is almost a scene-for-scene remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo

Last edited:
some world movies that impressed me...

Children of Heaven - Iranian (Farsi) movie - I posted on this movie before, I'm saying it again -this is one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Al-Sifara fil Omara - Egyptian (Arabic) movie - starring Adel Imam
Taxi 4 - French movie - My favorite pick of the Taxi series.
City of God - Portugese movie (I think)
Gone for a Dance - French movie
Curiandaro - this is a Mexican thriller movie about black magic.
Old Boy - Korean movie - this movie was re-made in Hindi....Zinda (I think)
Internal Affairs - chinese movie (this has the same story line as the Oscar winning The Departed)

Let us not forget Ritwik Ghatak, perhaps the greatest unsung hero of indian cinema!

MEGHEY DAKA THARA (i dunno if i am spelling it right) was one of the best indian films I have ever watched!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back