Worldspace receivers - which is the best buy?

If you want to listen Indian radio stations ie Aakashwani, the answer is DD direct +, they up link 25 Radio stations from all over India, excellent sound quality, and their all channels are Free to Air. though you need a dish antenna, and a FTA Set top box. I took this as a DIY project last weekend and enjoyed doing it.

List of Radio stations is:

01-AIR VBS
02-AIR Telugu
03-AIR Marathi
04-AIR Tamil
5-AIR Gujarati
6-FM Rainbow
7-AIR Punjabi
8-FM Gold Channel
9-AIR Kannada
10-AIR Bangla
11-AIR Hindi
12-AIR North East
13-AIR Malayalam
14-AIR Assamese
15-FM Rainbow Chennai
16-FM Gold Channel Mumbai
17-Radio Kashmir
18-DWS Radio
19-Gyan Wani
20-AIR Ragam
21-FM Rainbow Bangalore
22-AIR Urdu
23-AIR Oriya
24-test Radio

If you have the time, please post some pictures and a write up on the equipment and the DIY aspect. I am very interested to pursue the same path when time permits. I tried receiving these with an Airtel DTH dish and set top box but could not as it was locked. Thanks in advance.

gopib, reubensm

Here it goes:
reubensm, I took same way first hand, I tried to get the Free to Air channels with my old T(sky STB, but in vain, All the paid DTH service providers lock, their Set Top Boxes (STB) these days so you can't tune them to other services than their's. Though you can use your dish antenna and LNB.

First of all you need:

1.Dish Antenna
I bought a 60cms dish, but you can think about, going in for a 90 cms one, in case you want to receive signals from more Satellites, though 60cms dish is enough for receiving DD direct + and few more Satellites.

2. KU band LNB

3. Coaxial Cable and connectors to suit your needs

4. Set Top Box
There are huge range of FTA STbs are available in market these days ranging from Rs.600 to 15k+, I bought a Mpeg4 STB, Indian branded, made in China one, in 2.2k.This has features of expensive boxes, and is very popular also. I was surprised to see that it can record and replay TV programs and Radio as well, with insertion of a Pen drive in it. You can also play various media formats through it, don't expect to play AC3 format through it.

Installation

Now you need to install your dish, and align it. Some Links for you which I have used, for aligning my dish antenna

http://www.lyngsat.com/Insat-4B.html]Insat 4B at 93.5

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-dish-pointing-india.htmv

Home - Home

http://allindiaradio.gov.in/Services/DTH/Pages/Default.aspx

http://www.ddindia.gov.in/HomePage/Program Column 2/Pages/BharatKiShaan_new.aspx

1. Installing Dish Antenna

You need to install your dish first of all, this requires some standard tools like spanners, screw drivers, electric drill and drill bits required, if you are have these tools and love playing around with them go ahead, as I did, or take help of installer, they charge Rs.200 to 500, to get the job done for you, I presume, the dealer from where you buy your material would be able to help you in this regard.

2. Aligning Dish Antenna

You need to align you disk now, you need to feed details of Satellite before aligning, take details from links mentioned above,
before you start aligning your dish, one of the link have a Google map in it, will tell you exact alignment of you dish if you go to your geo location on the map. It would be better to take a print of these figures or write them down on a paper, as ready recknor while you are doing your job.

You need to adjust Elevation (up and down movement) of you dish, normally you can see some numbers and markers embossed on clamp from where your dish moves up and down. So by seeing these numbers adjust elevation angel of your Dish.

After Elevation adjust Azimuth (left or right angel) of you dish, you can use a magnetic compass for it or most the phones have a compass these days.

Now Fix you LNB on the dish and rotate it to required angel taking cue from your alignment data from above links. Again there are markers on LNB and clamp, for you to take cue.

After these raw adjustments you now have to check you signal strength and signal quality, you are getting, so either you need to have you STB and TV near your installation place or Do it my way, I called from my mobile, my young assistant sitting in front of TV to check signals. After try adjusting your Azimuth angel and fix you dish where you get max signal, now try adjusting Elevation, at the max Signal strength, and finally rotate you LNB to fine tune signals to the max. I got 70-80% signal strength and about 50-60% of signal Quality, and getting all the channels sharp and clear.

And now it's time to need Transponder details and Frequencies in your STB, to start view channels and listen radio. Again refer to above links for details. Some of the STBs Like mine, search, the Transponders and channels automatically. So just enjoy.

Links and details mentioned are for DD direct plus though you can receive many more satellites, with different alignment and settings

Hope you find my post useful, believe me It's much, much simpler than it sounds, and great fun too. Enjoy and post your queries hear, though I am not an expert, but will try to answer your queries.

All the Best
Akkibo

Last edited:
I think half of my post above got cut, probably because it was too lengthy, if mods have my half post (as it was due for moderation) please post it here, or I will try to post installation part this afternoon once again

(Refer to post # 22 for complete post, pardon for confusion)

Last edited:
Thanks Akkibo. Try reposting. Also try editing. There is a feature at the bottom of every post which says edit. You can add more. Some names and which part of India you are will help.

Anyhow thanks once again.

Assume that you've used standard equipment for DD-Direct. How is the quality of the receiver's sound output? Also AIR is notorious for variations in quality based on source, how is the overall sound presentation? Which Satellite are you tracking, INSAT 4B? Also what was the total aproximate spend?

gopib, reubensm

Here it goes:
reubensm, I took same way first hand, I tried to get the Free to Air channels with my old T(sky STB, but in vain, All the paid DTH service providers lock, their Set Top Boxes (STB) these days so you can't tune them to other services than their's. Though you can use your dish antenna and LNB.

First of all you need:

1.Dish Antenna
I bought a 60cms, but you can think about, going in for a 90 cms one, in case you want to receive more Satellite signals, though 60cms dish is enough for receiving DD direct + and some more Satellites.

2. KU band LNB

3. Coaxial Cable and connectors to suit your needs

4. Set Top Box
There are huge range of FTA STbs are available in market these days ranging from Rs.600 to 15k+, I bought a Mpeg4 STB, Indian branded, made in China one, in 2.2k.This has features of expensive boxes, and is very popular also. I was surprised to see that it can record and replay TV programs and Radio as well, with insertion of a Pen drive in it. You can also play various media formats through it, don't expect to play AC3 format through it.

Continued to Post Below

I am using a STB which is HD DVB -S2 MPEG-4 Full HD means I can watch HD channels through this decoder, this have features of expensive STBs, like live recording and playback, but the display on STB and remote are bit down side, taking in mind money I spent on it, this is value for money buy. Picture Quality on par with any other paid DTH, SD reception.

Yes I am Tracking Insat 4B

Sound quality is excellent on FM stations, FM gold and FM Rainbow, better than radio waves what we receive, IMO. And on other stations it's better than Radio transmissions.
And above all I love AIR, as their content is unmatched and so are their announcers(that's a classic term, unlike today's RJ's), this morning I was listening to English oldies from 50s, on FM rainbow, Where else you get such music the reason for me to go for AIR.

I spent about 3k on this set up, A nice idea to listen great music which you won't get anywhere else on air

Last edited:
What about sound quality ? Are all channel have same quality as was found on Worldspace. Cos I have heard that sound quality of Radio channels on DD direct is not good enough and also sound level varies from channel to channel

Sound Quality, on DTH FM stations is much better than other regular Aakaswani stations, I used to listen to world space and believe me, these stations are on par with WS. More than that what content AIR transmits no other station can come near to them, Classical music to Latest bollywood you get them all.
You can feed the sound in your existing music set up and enjoy the radio old way, with excellent sound quality.

( I am great fan of AIR so, I may sound bit pushy)

Last edited:
Hope you all are aware that WS has restarted broadcasting, over internet this time .
I have installed the app on my android phone, works well. Although there is lot of repeatation of pre-recorded prog. s and The Indian classical music channel is missing now :mad:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back