Worried About The Disappearance of Music CDs From The Market

The other day, I stepped into a Planet-M store, to be told by their manager that they have no fresh stocks of music CDs available, and whatever was on the display was 2-3 years old. They have literally transformed themselves into a gift store. The city where I work (not Hyderabad), which is a State capital, practically has no shops selling music CDs now. Everyone seems to be getting their music collection through illegal MP3 downloads only!

My favourite online music store selling music CDs, Rhythm House, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai, has shut shop. Other sites such as Induna concentrate on Indian music and movies only, and do not offer a collection beyond. Amazon India, Flipkart and couple of other online sellers do sell music CDs, but the collection is very limited. There is no website in India either that makes music available through quality legal downloads on payment basis. Flyte music store by Flipkart, set up on these lines, was not a success, and had to be closed down.

I guess all this leaves audiophiles in a lurch. After all, what is the point in setting up a costly high-end audio system, only to listen to poorly recorded and illegally downloaded MP3s?

Is there a solution to this problem?

Last edited:
The other day, I stepped into a Planet-M store, to be told by their manager that they have no fresh stocks of music CDs available, and whatever was on the display was 2-3 years old. They have literally transformed themselves into a gift store. The city where I work (not Hyderabad), which is a State capital, practically has no shops selling music CDs now. Everyone seems to be getting their music collection through illegal MP3 downloads only!

My favourite online music store selling music CDs, Rhythm House, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai, has shut shop. Other sites such as Induna concentrate on Indian music and movies only, and do not offer a collection beyond. Amazon India, Flipkart and couple of other online sellers do sell music CDs, but the collection is very limited. There is no website in India either that makes music available through quality legal downloads on payment basis. Flyte music store by Flipkart, set up on these lines, was not a success, and had to be closed down.

I guess all this leaves audiophiles in a lurch. After all, what is the point in setting up a costly high-end audio system, only to listen to poorly recorded and illegally downloaded MP3s?

I buy a ton of stuff on Amazon.com including CDs. I guess that's one option - but you need to beg friends, colleagues, relatives, etc. to carry them over.

Tidal is another option - its a small price to pay for unlimited high quality music streaming. Also, now they are allowing downloads so you can slowly build your collection this way, but not all albums are just yet available for downloading though.

Yet another option is paying for downloads. Many legal sites are there, but they will need a VPN because they are region restricted. But on the upside they offer high res downloads, which is audiophile speak for "I want to sell you your entire music collection again and again - in multiple formats".

But CDs are available, maybe not locally, but they can be found - just needs more searching. This year my collection crossed 2500 CDs - most folks think I'm crazy listening to redbook in the age of DSD - but unfortunately 99% of my music is available in redbook only. But the good thing with CDs is they last a lifetime, I still have CDs that my parents bought in the 80s when I was a kid. They read and rip perfectly even today.

More than Amazon.com Japan is a treasure trove for audio CDs, especially the high quality studio mastered ones. I've tons of them that are truly audiophile/reference grade and they also ship all over the world.

Yeah in New Delhi/NCR I find it difficult to get some Rock bands/ Jazz music CDs.

So I guess we need to find some shop having a good collection of CDs.

maybe in Banglore?

Folks plz suggest some shop names.

many thanks

Yeah in New Delhi/NCR I find it difficult to get some Rock bands/ Jazz music CDs.

So I guess we need to find some shop having a good collection of CDs.

maybe in Banglore?

Folks plz suggest some shop names.

many thanks

Couple of Music stores in Saket. Near PVR Saket. good collections including select LPs

Any suggestions for good music shop in Mumbai??? After Rhythm house can't find any good store for audio cds in Mumbai...

I buy my CDs and SACDs from HMV Japan , the shipping is way less over Amazon.com and reaches Kolkata within 6 working days and no customs charges and other bloated charges or issues as Amazon.com has always for every shipping, Amazon is ridiculous compared to CD Japan and HMV Japan,morover Japanese pressing of some titles sound way better over American or some EU pressings.

Amazon UK charges more than HMV Japan and CD Japan anyday. Shipping at these Japanese sites starts from as low as Rs 400 for EMS which reaches India withlin 6 days. There's always a Discount of upto 30/35% on mrps if there's a multibuy or two or three CDs bought together.

I've had a couple of PMs asking for links...

CDJapan : Japanese Anime, Jpop, Japanese music, Game music, Japanese movie, CD, DVD
Amazon | ?, ??????, ???????? | ????
l-tike HMV: Online Shopping & Information Site for Music/ DVD/ Blu-ray/ Books/ Games/ Goods [English Site]

I above 3 are typically where I shop from, at least online. I also do a ton of local shopping on my trips, if anyone wants I can share directions - GPS and Google Maps links too. But be warned they are also used market ones... so you'll need to actually physically inspect and what you get is what you get.

Got this Roger Wayers Amused To Death SACD ( Sony Japan ) from CD Japan excellent service.

Have a big order pending with HMV Japan which is Delayed due to the Pink Floyd SACD coming from US or EU ,the best part is they won't charge your card unless all items are ready for shipment. Have a look at the attachments. Cheers.

Last edited:

Solution is to switch over to vinyl. I'm actually being serious. The way I see the audio landscape changing, CDs are becoming obsolete, subscription based streaming options like Spotify are becoming more popular, and so is buying and downloading singles. But more than anything, vinyl sales are booming. There is currently much more variety and coverage in vinyl records than in CDs. And it is rapidly becoming the format of choice for people who don't just want to listen to low bitrate audio, and want to pay more money for better quality. And even discerning youngsters are first trying to get their turntable setup. I know many youngsters who just have an entry level TT like Project Debut and decent entry level headphones like low end Grados or entry level Sennheisers. No speakers. No expensive amps (or they have headphone amps like Schiit)

And I say this as someone who has never owned or wanted a vinyl setup (in my case, there are other constraints like space, kids etc). But if I didn't have the constraints, I would get a vinyl setup and start buying/collecting records. And hope that mastering quality would continue to be good even when vinyl volumes really take off.

Last edited:
Yes CDs seem to be disappearing. However there are still a few distributors in India (that I'm aware of) that sell music (CDs/LPs).

Mahatobar Distribution in Bangalore. It's located in Utility Building at M.G. road. This store owner is the vocalist of India's first (arguably) metal band, Dying Embrace. He stocks a lot of Sony and Warner CDs/LPs (Led Zeppelin, Gn'R, Van Halen, Kiss, Rush, The Doors, Opeth, Dream Theater, Metallica, etc.) and then tons of underground music!

Another distribution is based in Gurgaon/NCR. It's called Metal Masala. They don't have a physical store as of now, but they do have a website (Metal Masala | India's Online Metal Store). They basically stock CDs/LPs/merchandise from various popular underground record labels (Nuclear Blast, Century Media..which is owned by Sony Music now, Prophecy Records, Seasons of Mist, Dark Descent Records, etc.)

Of course Calypso in Jayanagar (Bangalore) is still around, but they've changed the location of their store. It's a much smaller place now..and a lot more inconspicuous. I wish they don't go the same way as Music World, Reliance Timeout, Landmark etc.

The entire album should be provided for online download of 5 Rs.. That is the best way to kill piracy and promote genuine online downloads..

I have seen on Flyte that one MP3 song used to cost anywhere between 7 rs - 15 rs.. Assuming 5 - 6 songs in that movie, it makes the cost more...

Why would someone download the the digital file & pay 80 rs when you can get the album for free a few days later ?

Even in singapore, cd shops have shut. my friend says that adelphi is last resort, where he is going to check out what is available.

Japan is the way forward as I see of now. If you really want international SACDs/CDs with great shipping rates compared Amazon.com.etc. it's the only hope.

Even in singapore, cd shops have shut. my friend says that adelphi is last resort, where he is going to check out what is available.

That's true.

Japan is the way forward as I see of now. If you really want international SACDs/CDs with great shipping rates compared Amazon.com.etc. it's the only hope.

+1, and they also have more "audiophile" pressings.

PS: It's not that CDs are not available or not getting sold. They are just not available locally in shops. All new albums are available on Amazon. I've bought quite a few of the latest releases from Amazon.com and even Amazon India.

Some good news! My friend scored big time at adelphi. He said few shops there still running selling CD, SACD, LP's, Blurays. Since he paid in cash, he got 20% discount across the board.
Looking forward to him coming back with the haul :)

do explore the option of highQ music via DAP (alittle highend one) ..
new music creators release lot of free track .there is creativity and many things to explore.Most these players have a proper lineout .

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back