[WTB] Budget Subwoofer for Yamaha Yht - 196

kyahaiyaar

i have recently purchased yamaha YHT-196...could you please suggest me some good budget Active subwoofer for my 10x10 room...

Regards,
Karan

Yamaha YST Sw012 or Yamaha SW030 may serve your purpose.

I have ordered YST SW012 , It may be delivered on tomorrow.

YST SW012 for 8.4K

and YST SW030 is available for 12K.

Brother

I would say "a good subwoofer" choice for yht 196".It can serve our purpose well for small to medium size room.

Bass obtain from the subwoofer is sufficient enough for a Home Theater installed in a room.

Proper positioning of the SW can optimise it's bass effect.

It worth to note that it's just entry level good SW which is well compatible with YHT 196.
It's bass effects are good enough but not so amazing.

I am sure you won't go wrong to make it good a companion for YHT 196.

Bass till 90% volumn works good but when we increase it to max it quality of bass gets degrade.

For YHT 196 , I would give 8/10.
But for other AVRs having cost more than 196's it may or may not be so good.

Sw030 can be a choice in case you need high intensity bass.
But for me sw012 it's good enough.

Thanks

Hi,

I too own YHT-196 and was considering SW012 but later gave up.

Astonia seems good, I have heard good reviews about Pioneer Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SW-8MK2 costs around 16K from amazon.

Does anyone own one or has reviewed it ?

Regards,
Rajiv

Hi All,

I am planning to zero in on Sonodyne Roarr 210 Subwoofer (Black Finish) or Boston Acoustics ASW 250 Subwoofer (Black Finish), confused which one to opt for.

Both are 10" subwoofers offering around 100 watts RMS, which one to go for ?

Boston is better looking and Sonodyne is desi, any ideas are appreciated.

BR,
Rajiv

Re: [WTB] Budget Subwoofer for Yamaha Yht - 196-S-51W short review

As promised here is my short take on the Pioneer S-51W.

Originally ordered the Pioneer SW-8MK2 (Andew Jones) designed Subwoofer from avenuesound, however got to know that this model needs to be procured from the US and then converted to a 230v one. Ashish from Avenuesound called me and offered the S-51W instead since it was in stock and is designed for India/Asia/European countries.

As per his advise, the S-51W is bundled with the AJ designed speakers in India, he advised me to check a few reviews online.

Accordingly I checked the Pioneer India website and confirmed that S-51W was indeed offered as active SW for AJ designed HT package.

There were a few reviews in Non english languages and they weren't too bad. the pics of the subwoofer indicated that it was a downward firing subwoofer and the port was located downwards too unlike the SW-8MK2.

I decided to give it a shot and thus the black baby arrived home.

My setup:

YHT-196 receiver and stock speaker package
NS-SWP20 stock passive subwoofer
Panasonic P42
Asus Mini for DVD & BLU RAY Rips
MS X-Box for DVDs

I have placed the new subwoofer in parallel to the existing passive subwoofer, connected it to the HTR2064 via Sub-out cable.

Cross over is set to 120Hz as my front speakers are small.

Volume on the Pioneer is set between 8:00 O clock to 10:00 clock position.

Phase is 0 degrees.

There is NO crossover available on the subwoofer itself, so nothing to be changed there.

I immediately notice the subtle difference in the level of the low level notes.

My primary usage is movies & bit of music.

Watched a few DTS trailers and then Captain Philips, could notice that the bass is more tight than boomy. I did not turn up the volume on the SW beyond 50% as it is still in break-in mode and hope that I may not even need to in future.

The bass is NOT room shaking, it is very clean with no distortion.

It does pump in some air as we can feel that coming out through the air vents behind the sub.

The 8" driver looks very much identical to the one used in SW-8MK2, I'm guessing it is the same one or may be better.

Frequency response of the sub is specified as 25Hz to 900Hz. I know that techically a sub is not supposed to go over 150Hz but I'm not too bothered by it.

It serves my purpose of obtaining a better bass response from my existing HT setup without having to cough up a lot of cash$$.

I'd rate it 8/10.

Looks : Good
Autostandby: yes
Phase control : Yes
X'over control : No
Power Button :Yes
Hi Freq connections : No
Input : Line In Only (cable supplied is regular RCA)

VFM : definitely.

I'd recommend this SUB to all who want to add an extra sub for YHT-196 without having to spend a fortune.

I was looking for a budget AVR and came across Yamaha Yht - 196 which came as a package. I researched and found that it came with a passive Sub and due to that,the perfomance was not good.So I backed out.I didn't know that we could upgrade to a active sub. Even the dealer told me that he is not dealing with this model because of passive sub and recommended against it. :eek:

Re: [WTB] Budget Subwoofer for Yamaha Yht - 196-S-51W short review

As promised here is my short take on the Pioneer S-51W.

Originally ordered the Pioneer SW-8MK2 (Andew Jones) designed Subwoofer from avenuesound, however got to know that this model needs to be procured from the US and then converted to a 230v one. Ashish from Avenuesound called me and offered the S-51W instead since it was in stock and is designed for India/Asia/European countries.

As per his advise, the S-51W is bundled with the AJ designed speakers in India, he advised me to check a few reviews online.

Accordingly I checked the Pioneer India website and confirmed that S-51W was indeed offered as active SW for AJ designed HT package.

There were a few reviews in Non english languages and they weren't too bad. the pics of the subwoofer indicated that it was a downward firing subwoofer and the port was located downwards too unlike the SW-8MK2.

I decided to give it a shot and thus the black baby arrived home.

My setup:

YHT-196 receiver and stock speaker package
NS-SWP20 stock passive subwoofer
Panasonic P42
Asus Mini for DVD & BLU RAY Rips
MS X-Box for DVDs

I have placed the new subwoofer in parallel to the existing passive subwoofer, connected it to the HTR2064 via Sub-out cable.

Cross over is set to 120Hz as my front speakers are small.

Volume on the Pioneer is set between 8:00 O clock to 10:00 clock position.

Phase is 0 degrees.

There is NO crossover available on the subwoofer itself, so nothing to be changed there.

I immediately notice the subtle difference in the level of the low level notes.

My primary usage is movies & bit of music.

Watched a few DTS trailers and then Captain Philips, could notice that the bass is more tight than boomy. I did not turn up the volume on the SW beyond 50% as it is still in break-in mode and hope that I may not even need to in future.

The bass is NOT room shaking, it is very clean with no distortion.

It does pump in some air as we can feel that coming out through the air vents behind the sub.

The 8" driver looks very much identical to the one used in SW-8MK2, I'm guessing it is the same one or may be better.

Frequency response of the sub is specified as 25Hz to 900Hz. I know that techically a sub is not supposed to go over 150Hz but I'm not too bothered by it.

It serves my purpose of obtaining a better bass response from my existing HT setup without having to cough up a lot of cash$$.

I'd rate it 8/10.

Looks : Good
Autostandby: yes
Phase control : Yes
X'over control : No
Power Button :Yes
Hi Freq connections : No
Input : Line In Only (cable supplied is regular RCA)

VFM : definitely.

I'd recommend this SUB to all who want to add an extra sub for YHT-196 without having to spend a fortune.
Superb review rajiv...thanks a lot..will check this out..

Back