Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton -Play the Blues.

Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker Jr. and Ana Popovic will be playing in Mumbai on Feb 11-12 for the Mahindra Blues Fest.

I hear they were also trying to get Derek Trucks or Robert Randolph, but havn't been able to finalize yet.

Sorry guys, I got carried away because of unkind remarks by some of us abt EC. Let the man be judged by his peers rather than by us. Thanks once again to Rajiv.

Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker Jr. and Ana Popovic will be playing in Mumbai on Feb 11-12 for the Mahindra Blues Fest.

I hear they were also trying to get Derek Trucks or Robert Randolph, but havn't been able to finalize yet.

Oh man! Did not know this before hand! Would be travelling during that time! :mad:

While we are on the EC is blues/not blues topic, would like to bring up the musical definition of the blues (traditionally the 12 bar blues).

Any composition in 3 lines like this

qualifies as 12 bar blues.

E.g.in the key of A, it becomes

AAAA
DDAA
EDAA

There are tons of popular songs that use the pure blues format but are arranged to sound non-bluesy. Blues-rock on the other hand uses the same 1, 4 and 5 but in slightly different variations and often one more chords to signal the chorus.

Anybody interested in training the ear to hear the 12 bars distinctly can PM me for simple learning resources like 'minus one' blues tracks and suggested listening lists.

Back to EC, I think a lot of blues fans like me would just not have discovered the deeper blues players if he had not played sweetened versions of 'primitive' blues. Thank you, EC :)

Guys,

Check out Rory Gallagher (if you have not). Awesome blues guitarist. You will enjoy his music even if you are not into blues but if you primarily listen to the guitar in terms of music.

PS - Its the rock kind of blues... not the poor "black" kind.

Hi
A general reason why this particular jazz/blues combine seems to have created a favorable impression may be that blues is the mother of jazz- the earlier working man's music (blues) ,later developed into the more refined and improvisatory art form of jazz as an offshoot.
cheers

While we are on the EC is blues/not blues topic, would like to bring up the musical definition of the blues (traditionally the 12 bar blues).

Any composition in 3 lines like this

qualifies as 12 bar blues.

E.g.in the key of A, it becomes

AAAA
DDAA
EDAA

There are tons of popular songs that use the pure blues format but are arranged to sound non-bluesy.

The repeating twelve bar pattern built on the tonic, dominant and the subdominant chords serve as the foundation for not just blues but many jazz, rock, rhythm and blues and even pop songs.
However blues lyrics employ a specific stanza form in which the initial line is stated, repeated and then followed by a rhyming line.
Also the actual essence of the blues is conveyed by the melismatic shifts in the voices of the blues singers. Guitar players too achieve this effect by moving objects along the fretboards to stretch individual pitches.
In blues notes are no longer notes but flexible sounds which if emanating from the vocal chords would I feel need a certain genetic predisposition.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back