Yamaha 863 availability

pseudophile

I am planning to buy the Yamaha 863 avr but it looks like that it has been discontinued. The only place I know of that still has it is selling it for Rs.60000.
Is that a good price?

Anyone knows a dealer who has it cheaper?

Although, 863 is considered the more musical receiver. Also, check the 1065 as with newer AVR the specs and supportability of formats are better and I believe its int he same price range. I am using the Yamaha India website where the mrp for both is around 74k Rs.

60k for yam863 is way way too much.. get a marantz 6004 instead..
here in delhi u can get it for 44k with bill+1yr warranty
contact gemini traders - mr bharat or rythm corner south ext or trinity sound and vision - sandeep jain

60k for yam863 is way way too much.. get a marantz 6004 instead..
here in delhi u can get it for 44k with bill+1yr warranty

Thanks jayad08. I presume the price you have mentioned is for the 6004.
What is the good/ prevailing price for 863? And can you also confirm it is from an authorized Yamaha dealer? The authorized dealer here in Mangalore quoted 70K last week to my friend who is setting up a HT system

Thanks jayad08. I presume the price you have mentioned is for the 6004.
What is the good/ prevailing price for 863? And can you also confirm it is from an authorized Yamaha dealer? The authorized dealer here in Mangalore quoted 70K last week to my friend who is setting up a HT system
no.. my price quote was for yam863..
out of the dealers mentioned by me.. 2 of them are mentioned on the yamaha site..
for 44k no way u can get a 6004 for warranty + bill. 5004 would probably fit into that category.
As 863 is now a discontinued model, discounts vary from 30-45% depending upon how u negotiate..MRP is 79,500

The lowest I got for the yamaha 863 in Mumbai is 54K :sad:

Its not available anywhere in the grey market.

Does anyone think If I should go for it.

I plan to connect it to my htpc and usage would be 50% music & 50% movies.

The lowest I got for the yamaha 863 in Mumbai is 54K :sad:

Its not available anywhere in the grey market.

Does anyone think If I should go for it.

I plan to connect it to my htpc and usage would be 50% music & 50% movies.

I have the same exact setup HTPC-Yam863, so here are some valuable inputs..
1) You will not find PrologicII/Dolby True HD and other high end formats in the rips that you downlaod from the internet, or maybe DVD's that you play..unless you plan to get a blue ray player, or maybe download a proper BD of the internet(around 16gb), so the decoders for this format do not get utilized.
2) Unless you have a seperate GPU which has the ability to bitstream the high end audio formats over HDMI, the HDMI audio processing feature is just for future securing.
3) The video HDMI signal from looses considerable amount of blacks (search for the 0-15 black problem for Yam863 over internet), so I am not using HDMI outputs from Yam863 currently in my HTPC setup.
4) The upscaling not really great (input signal on TV from cable TV (composite) llok better if i connect those directly to TV rather than from Yam863)

As rightly suggested above, you can rate Yam863 to be a good musical AVR, sits somewhere between 5003/5004 and 6003/6004 or Denon 2310. As your choice is 50/50 movies music, this is the best buy in the price category (40-45k),If you are going to shell out around 50-55k denon 2310/marantz 6004 should be better.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I have got a good internet speed so I do download bluray files which ar 8-12 gb ...then do u think this featured will be used.

I do have a 9600gt gpu but its not hdmi.

Usually people refrain from criticizing their setup.What i most appreciate about your reply is the honesty.

I will try out the other avrs u mentioned too.

I have the same exact setup HTPC-Yam863, so here are some valuable inputs..
1) You will not find PrologicII/Dolby True HD and other high end formats in the rips that you downlaod from the internet, or maybe DVD's that you play..unless you plan to get a blue ray player, or maybe download a proper BD of the internet(around 16gb), so the decoders for this format do not get utilized.
2) Unless you have a seperate GPU which has the ability to bitstream the high end audio formats over HDMI, the HDMI audio processing feature is just for future securing.
3) The video HDMI signal from looses considerable amount of blacks (search for the 0-15 black problem for Yam863 over internet), so I am not using HDMI outputs from Yam863 currently in my HTPC setup.
4) The upscaling not really great (input signal on TV from cable TV (composite) llok better if i connect those directly to TV rather than from Yam863)

As rightly suggested above, you can rate Yam863 to be a good musical AVR, sits somewhere between 5003/5004 and 6003/6004 or Denon 2310. As your choice is 50/50 movies music, this is the best buy in the price category (40-45k),If you are going to shell out around 50-55k denon 2310/marantz 6004 should be better.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I have got a good internet speed so I do download bluray files which ar 8-12 gb ...then do u think this featured will be used.

I do have a 9600gt gpu but its not hdmi.

Usually people refrain from criticizing their setup.What i most appreciate about your reply is the honesty.

I will try out the other avrs u mentioned too.

Bluray files that you download from internet.. cross check if the audio stream is actually Dobly Digital/DTS/Dolby True HD or AAC(advanced audio codec),i am sure blue rays that you download would be bdrips. most BDrips are encoded with AAC, which offers better compression, but is not supported in AVRs, so which would mean that the PC would decode it..which again means you wont use the decoder of the avr. if you have a decent sound card such as XONAR installed then you would get good output..

9600gt is a dual dvi, so you must be using a DVI to HDMI.. If not then I would suggest that you do rather than any onboard HDMI solution that you have.. a dedicated GPU always provides better video quality than the onboard graphics. Let the audio pass through the SP/DIF out (if you board provides one)

good luck with your auditions..
give the first preference to your ears, next to the price bracket factor..

no.. my price quote was for yam863..
out of the dealers mentioned by me.. 2 of them are mentioned on the yamaha site..
for 44k no way u can get a 6004 for warranty + bill. 5004 would probably fit into that category.
As 863 is now a discontinued model, discounts vary from 30-45% depending upon how u negotiate..MRP is 79,500

Thanks a ton jayad08 for the clarification. :)

what is current lowest price of Yamaha 863?even grey.

spiro.. if it is available now .. with bill it should be 40k and without bill from a dealer would be 35k, and totally grey should be 27-30k
since it is been over 2 months from nov..maybe very less chances of getting 863..

i wd recommend that you first try the dealers in ur city for the availability..
next option wd be to call yamaha music india directly on +91-124-466 5551 for sales enquiry.
if that doesnt work out then send me a pm.. i will send u the cell no of the regional sales manager for North region

spiro.. if it is available now .. with bill it should be 40k and without bill from a dealer would be 35k, and totally grey should be 27-30k
since it is been over 2 months from nov..maybe very less chances of getting 863..

i wd recommend that you first try the dealers in ur city for the availability..
next option wd be to call yamaha music india directly on +91-124-466 5551 for sales enquiry.
if that doesnt work out then send me a pm.. i will send u the cell no of the regional sales manager for North region

Is it possible gray market price 27-30k in Delhi If yes I would love to have one :licklips: instead of Denon 1910. So where I should hunt for this in Delhi?

Hi
You can buy the 863 at Amazon and use Borderlinx to ship it to you. The total cost wil definitely be less than 40k.

PM

Hi Surinder,

The total cost at Amazon is 518 USD = 24 k
Shipping is 11k through Borderlinx = 7 k
Taxes = 4 k

So this is still cheaper than what you get in grey here. I have used this method to get a OppoBD83, so its quite relianble. You need a Citicard though to set up a Borderlinx account.

PM

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back