Yamaha/Denon Music Performance

can you please post the power ratings of the receivers denon and yamaha when 5channels running or 2 channel running given in the manual

check denon.co.uk all power rating is all 5 channel running together and discrete, no avr will guve power rating for just 2 channel

It was your claim - please check YOUR posts --so we want to nknow how this "neurral" or "natural" clain arises??

No one can claim 100% neutral sound from AVR .Still with Yamaha there is no harshness in treble or blown Bass.Midrange is clean too.Well I can't hear much colored sound when play music.
When I listened to Denon 1912,2312, I always feel that Bass is more with little punch,but midrange is colored.
Onkyo 609 didnt sound good at all with music.
Pioneer 1021 has better sound,but I will not say it neutral.

Now you need to audition these AVR one by one & you will come to know Yamaha is not coloring sound.Marantz AVR 5005 is better than Yamaha in music.
You can read my views here-
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/16258-post-your-av-audition-demo-here-2.html
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/16258-post-your-av-audition-demo-here-4.html

Again is subjective,still I have posted my observations to my moderate knowledge.;)

saj,
most amplifier manufacturers take advantage of loopholes in the rating systems and print large data to prove their systems are powerfull.
this is denons
8 Ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.05%
Front L/R - 105 W + 105 W
Center - 105 W
Surround L/R - 105 W + 105 W
Surround Back L/R - 105 W + 105 W
Front Height L/R

Only when you go through the manuals carefully and read that you will know tha the power ratings are only correct if you are running only 2 channels or a single channel.
In the above example of denon why would denon give each channel individually instead they could have mentioned when all 7 channels running or 5 channels firing etc. they even boost ratings showing @6ohms etc. so what you see is not always what you get.

I have done a lot of reading on avsforums on these, there are some dedicated denon threads so separate power rating for each channel means they have discrete amplification and its not boost when they say @ 6OHM, its correct way of putting technical details to consumers

you seems to be a new member here so suggest you read avsforum.com as well and clarify your doubts....

Saj, even i am an avid AV follower and have read a lot of forums. Discrete amplifier means that each amplifier has it's own transistors and circuits. However they do share the power supply which is the most important thing in the amplifier.

Since you guys are discussing Power ratings
What do you make of this ....
This is a 5 year old AVR from Denon.
Do you see a fib here from Denon as well ?

Saj, even i am an avid AV follower and have read a lot of forums. Discrete amplifier means that each amplifier has it's own transistors and circuits. However they do share the power supply which is the most important thing in the amplifier.

I dont know whats troubling you buddy but I dont see any issue with big players like denon onkyo etc on this topic

Discrete power supply on each channel.
If they put torodial transformers on each channel. That would be awesome However it would be priced insanely high

I don't see too many 2 channel stereo integrated have seperate power supply for each channel barring the higher priced ones

Thanks Flash, thats what i meant to say. having torodial transformers on each channel would make them insanely high. the 'discrete' as we see is actually not discreet

Since you guys are discussing Power ratings
What do you make of this ....
This is a 5 year old AVR from Denon.
Do you see a fib here from Denon as well ?

Sorry, I couldn't understand the fib here?
You mean to say that each channel should have seperate power supply to call it discrete?

:)
So your point was denon should've had individual power supplies to call it discrete?
This was my question.

No I was making a point to another FM. that it is not necessary have individual transformers to call it discrete.

Unless offcourse you want to spend x10 times more

Hi,
Denon is a better choice. It has better pre-processor and amps than Yamaha.

Have you already made the purchase? Are comparing them at the store?

Denon in general is more true technically. It focuses more on core features rather than on features that make the receiver sell.

Really? Thats a strong statement.. am curious to know how you arrived at that conclusion :)

Preamp in Yamaha looks better than Denon to me.Yamaha has Burrbrown DAC with good THD.Yamaha may be weak on power section,but surround processing is better in Yamaha.

Preamp in Yamaha looks better than Denon to me.Yamaha has Burrbrown DAC with good THD.Yamaha may be weak on power section,but surround processing is better in Yamaha.

yeah some models of yahama do look good :) the only downside with yamaha seems to be not using the audyssey which will greatly improve their SQ

Really? Thats a strong statement.. am curious to know how you arrived at that conclusion :)

I too will say Denon is far better than Yamaha in my little biased opinion, because I own one :lol:

I never had a chance to compare it side by side. But Denon have 3 modes for music Stereo, Direct & Pure direct.

DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode will disable bass management where 2 channel will get full range. In pure direct mode display of the receiver and unwanted circuits will be turned off. Hope yamaha also have similar mode with different name then it would be hard to choose.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back