Yamaha/Denon Music Performance

I too will say Denon is far better than Yamaha in my little biased opinion, because I own one :lol:

I never had a chance to compare it side by side. But Denon have 3 modes for music Stereo, Direct & Pure direct.

DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode will disable bass management where 2 channel will get full range. In pure direct mode display of the receiver and unwanted circuits will be turned off. Hope yamaha also have similar mode with different name then it would be hard to choose.

Yes there is an option to select "Direct" on my yamaha 571 receiver. When I use this option all the circuits are turned off and also the display is dimmed. I also use sound "Enhancer" to play stereo and it really plays well. I think there is a very thin line between yamaha & denon when it comes to stereo. I would also say yamaha is good as I own it :lol: and never had a chance to audition Denon before going for yamaha.

Thanks

I too will say Denon is far better than Yamaha in my little biased opinion, because I own one :lol:

I never had a chance to compare it side by side. But Denon have 3 modes for music Stereo, Direct & Pure direct.

DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode will disable bass management where 2 channel will get full range. In pure direct mode display of the receiver and unwanted circuits will be turned off. Hope yamaha also have similar mode with different name then it would be hard to choose.

Looking at your signature. I must say you have a pretty swell setup .
Denon 3312
Focal Chorus 816
:clapping::clapping:

the only downside with yamaha seems to be not using the audyssey which will greatly improve their SQ

Audyssey is a calibration tool found in Denon, Marantz etc while Yamaha uses its own version of calibration tool called the YPAO. These tools help the user 'adjust' the sound according to acoustics of his room and they don't affect Sound Quality of the AVR in any way. Rather than doing something with the sound quality these tools tweak the parameters like distance, decibel levels and crossover frequency etc to provide a 'personalized' listening arena.

To say Denon sounds better than a Yamaha based on Audyssey or YPAO would be a mistake. We all have different parameters which define what kind of 'sound' we prefer- some might like neutral, some might prefer 'coloured' or forward sounding or a wider soundscape and these parameters are what differentiate one brand from another not the calibrations tools !

Moreover the OP wanted information depending on the music performance on the Yamahas and the Denons and as far as Stereo music is concerned in the 'Pure Direct' Or 'Straight' mode (which coincidentally are present on both Yamaha and Denon) there isnt much difference that Audyssey or YPAO would make to the end result.

All of us would love to stand up for our respective brands- after all we are in love with our setups and there is nothing wrong with that.. and this is the story the world over. Thank god for the choices.. though sometimes I wonder wouldnt it have been a better world had we not been spoilt for choices- but then thats a topic which would be better discussed over a log fire and single malts :)

Finally here is snapshot of an old review of the Yamaha 667 by cnet discussing YPAO vs Audyssey. Worth a quick read I would say !

ypao.jpg

I know yahama uses YAPO their propriotary calibration tool which is not as effective as audyssey, read a lot about them and audyssey seems the choice is many big players, specially their high end multeq XT works better

and yes audyssey does makes a lot of difference in ur SQ from AVR, I have had 3 AVRs, with multEQ, MultEQ XT and none and I could say they make a huge difference since they not only calibrate speakers but sub too

I know yahama uses YAPO their propriotary calibration tool which is not as effective as audyssey, read a lot about them and audyssey seems the choice is many big players, specially their high end multeq XT works better

and yes audyssey does makes a lot of difference in ur SQ from AVR, I have had 3 AVRs, with multEQ, MultEQ XT and none and I could say they make a huge difference since they not only calibrate speakers but sub too

Yes audyssey might be good in avr calibration but I do not think this will make much of difference when it comes to 2 channel stereo playback. I think thats what mav and other owners of yamaha including me have given there views on.

Thanks

Well the original post was regarding 2 channel stereo.

So basically sound signature of the 2 AVR's or rather the 2 companies.

Lets leave all features aside
Video Processing, Audessey, YPAO etc etc

Which one DENON or YAMAHA has ""better"" Sonic capabilities for 2 channel stereo ..

In General Components used such as capacitors, Power supply, Circuit design
Soundstage,
Imaging,
Tonal Qualities
etc etc

Well the original post was regarding 2 channel stereo.

So basically sound signature of the 2 AVR's or rather the 2 companies.

Lets leave all features aside
Video Processing, Audessey, YPAO etc etc

Which one DENON or YAMAHA has ""better"" Sonic capabilities for 2 channel stereo ..

In General Components used such as capacitors, Power supply, Circuit design
Soundstage,
Imaging,
Tonal Qualities
etc etc

Well its personal choice and taste which decides this, best way is that OP should make side by side listening test and decide.
In end for me Yamaha scores more in sound quality since i own it and auditioned it along with denon.;):D

In end for me Yamaha scores more in sound quality since i own it and auditioned it along with denon.;):D

Exactly there is no way to come to any concrete answer as to which is better Denon or Yamaha. As there will always be 2 schools of thought
One in favor of Denon and the other in favor of Yamaha

It all boils down to two important things
1 synergy with the other components that make or break a system whether for Music or Movies
2. Our Ears. Each of us perceives sound differently

Over and Out ...

This particular thread seems to be heading nowhere. So i am gonna stay off it .
Cheers

- F l a s h -

denon's parent company is d&m holdings, which also happens to be the parent company of marantz and mcintosh. d&m holdings stable seems to have an excellent products under them. so the technology exchange between these brands are evident. hence i would give denons music performance slighlty higher than the yamaha (subjective) but when you audition them for movies i see yamaha having an upper hand (subjective again).
I would also put that none of these av receivers match the 2 channel stereo receivers when it comes to music.

denon's parent company is d&m holdings, which also happens to be the parent company of marantz and mcintosh. d&m holdings stable seems to have an excellent products under them. so the technology exchange between these brands are evident. hence i would give denons music performance slighlty higher than the yamaha (subjective) but when you audition them for movies i see yamaha having an upper hand (subjective again).
I would also put that none of these av receivers match the 2 channel stereo receivers when it comes to music.

yeah for pure music its 2 channel stereo amp always better that any AVR

but I see overall we do need an AVR for all kinda of applucation, TV, Movies, Music, Games, etc etc and for ones who need a dedicated setup for only music in like bedroom or so then 2 channel amp with bookshelfs

i tell you yamaha sounds the best
since they r into makeing musicals they know beter how to sound
every part of music
this is just my thinking!
667 and am dam dam happy with the soundam using rx

Technically speaking Yamaha 667 has a Burrbrown DAC which Denon 1911 doesn't have.Only higher Denon model's have it.
So, with a superior DAC, 667 should definitely sound better in music.

Denon in general is more true technically. It focuses more on core features rather than on features that make the receiver sell.

Uh? More true means? Can you tell us what features in other brands (in same league) helps them to sell more, that are not available on Denon?

Hi Saj ........,

you had suggested me the following procedure ... Now I am getting used to my rxv471 so I am playing with different settings .... could you please tell me how do I set the cross over freq for subwoofer, I was not able to find any such setting in 471, can any body with 471 tell me this....?

you could do the following setting in ur AVR and see if you like the sound then

1) check crossover freq settings, set it to highest like 150 or 120 HZ, since you have woofer and want more thump and ur front speakers are not powerful enough, this will send all the low freq to woofer
2) try placing ur woofer in between ur front left and right speakers to avoide any localisation low freq effects
3) set all speakers to small in settings on ur AVR and sub woofer to yes
4) it should have music DSP, so turn on the Dolby Pro Logic II or just dolby pro logic , it optimises music, or check other music than just stereo
5) check all channel levels on all speakers, set them all to 0 DB.

btw I tried listening to one of zakir hussain CDs yesterday and with dolby pro logic II on my denon, the beat sounded amazing, like original concert, I have to keep the subwoofer lower to make a even sound, but I enjoyed it

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back