Yamaha DSP-A2070

LOL, I think this was me on audiokarma comparing apples and oranges. but that was before I knew an apple from an orange. I am much stupider now. I'll easily compare an apple to a building now, and declare the building tastes better.

And I still own a 3090 and a 580 and a 880. I owned a 680 and a 780 but was sorta cajoled into trading them away. Owned 3 3090's in the 5 years since.

The 3090 is really an impressive amp. I dont ever want to be without one one those. I may get an A1, then that leaves just a Z1 missing in my yamaha ramp, 3090, a1, rx-v1 and rx-z9.
Cool.
Srinath.

came across this thread from a website... this guy seems to be owning a DSP 3090, higher model of the 2070 at $2.5k, and a marantz sr580 (the one that i happen to own) seems the marantz is better than the yamaha for music but the yamaha has better surround capabilities..

actually these were all high end stereo amps that were launched with mediocre surround capabilities to catch the then AVR market...

"FWIW I do a lot of HT as well as music on the HT system.
I also have a HT marantz setup in a 2 channel, and compare it to my 2226 vintage marantz.

This is my thought.

Sometime in 95-96-97-98-99 when HT was taking off companies made good musical amps and endowed them with HT specific dolby 5.1 or 7.1 decoding ability. The yamaha DSP series is an example of that. So is the marantz sr580 I use as 2 channel but its dolby ability is decidedly poorer than my DSP3090.
The result was hideously expensive receivers - like the dsp3090 that listed for 2499 in 2000. Soon enough they figured out that all the end users were running crap like bose crap for surround sound, and they could not tell sound stage from a hole in the ground and they wised up. The amps got less and less musical but better and better at dolby.
I have run the rx-v3300 yamaha by no means a cheap receiver, against my dsp3090.

For movies and home theater they are awfully close. Music is where the dsp3090 shines especially if you have the kind of speakers I do.

If all the roads are straight, why make a car that can corner ... if all the speakers are bose, why make an amp that can make nice music.

My marantz sr580 is a shade better than the dsp3090 for music. However its much much worse for Home theater.
My Kenwood vr517 actually works better than it for HT but its a POS compared to the marantz for music.
My thought is -
New amps can be musical, but you may have to hunt and buy the right one.
New amps are all pretty good for HT though some are better than others.
No old amp will work for HT."

I had purchased a Yamaha DSP-A2070 in Singapore back in 1993 when it was first released and it worked perfectly until a few years ago. The problem is the following: whenever I press the "on" button, the unit turns on but then, a few seconds later, it shuts off again. I have already taken it twice to the local Yamaha dealer and authorized repair service but they cannot seem to correct the problem. What's more, none of the different sound modes work any longer, i.e. Church, Theatre, Rock Venue, etc.

Is this a problem that can be solved or does the age of the unit not warrant any further repair attempts? Any advice that members in this group might have would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Its in protect mode. Its fixable, in the sense that - you replace everything in that channel and it will be fixed. But, you could just buy another amp for the $$$ it would cost you if you weren't doing it yourself. If you do it yourself, well, it will still cost you about 50% of an equal replacement. I fix only very very very $$$$ amps as a result. I am working on a Marantz SR14ex now. $4700 new, the SR18 and SR19 and I have a 19 I would raid for parts if I need, not worth putting any time or $$$ into. No sense spending $300 fixing a $100 amp. I only believe in spending $299 fixing a $100 amp. LOL.
Cool.
Srinath.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back