Yamaha dvd-s1800

jaudere

Hello friends,

I need your advice. I am planning to upgrade my source. At present I am using an AIWA DVD player(5 year old) analogue out with RXV 361 and homemade speakers(single driver open baffle). I think speakers and amp are doing a good job. I need to get a better source. I came across this while searching.

DVD-S1800

I am yet to listen to SACD but this particular player has that function.Specs look good. as I am not planning to upgrade AVR in near future, i thought Yamaha gear would gel well with theAVR. Has anybody heard this model. it will be used mainly for music. Since I am upgrading, i thought i should think about this featutre. I thought about CDP . I listened to a Denon CDP CD 710 and Denon DVDp. i could not make out the difference in sound quality. So i have decided that i will go for a DVDp rather than a CDP
Budget, yet to decide but definitely less that INR 25K.

Not much interested in the video capabilities. nevertheless
I have viewsonic 22" monitor(WM2235) with DVI in. If i get HDMI to DVI cable, i can use that as my screen.

1) are Yamaha DVDps good?
2) Are they specifically recommended for yamaha AVRs?
3) is SACD an important feature? I listen to music and movies on 2 channels only.

regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Yamaha is of course good, but why dont you check out for a OPPO for the same cost, which is a solid performer. Just look at these models, Oppo 980 and 98.

Cheers,

Doctor
from which location you saw this player?
or someone is coming from us?\But why yamaha>
i never read the review in any international shootouts -I do not understand brand fixation :sad::sad:.
why not Pioneer DVD and Standalone cd player?or buy cd used.
Anyway I hardly see any retailer carrying yamaha.

AS for as SACd goes ,availabality internationally is limited,your favorite genoures may not at available and India availabality is almost not there......Also cost per disk is around 1000 to2000 rs each.

Hi jaudere,

I second what our young friend Venkatesh has said.But the problem is the 980H is not available nowadays. So why don't you look at the newly released Oppo BD80 Bluray player? It is hailed as a re badged Oppo 980H with bluray capablities.There is a dedicated thread running on our forum about the player.It can play DVD,Bluray discs,SACD and DVD-Audio.It can play mkv files too up to 4GB i think.

Oppo is a very decent CDP too.

Its retailing for around USD 290 at amazon.If some one can bring it for you nothing like it.Or even if you import it thro vpost it will be within your budget.

OPPO BDP-80 Blu-ray Disc Player - Features and Specifications

cheers,
sri

cheers,sri

Last edited:
Thanks folks for your suggestions.

Is Oppo available in India. I have never made a deal on net. In fact I don't even have a credit card and won't apply for one.

Oppo was on my list but i came to know that it has to be brought from US.I don't know when my sister in law will be coming to india.

I am using yamaha AVR. that is why i thought that getting yamaha CDP may be a better idea. I am open to all brands.

dedicated CDP is not on list at least at present because the family members will use the same unit for watching movies when I am not at home.

one option could be leaving the AIWA DVDpin the circuit for family(they are happy with it) and add CDP . But i hate wires.

where can I get pioneer? After doing a bit of search, i have dropped the idea of going for player with SACD /DVD audio capabilities.

I am going to be a little different from the other advices given to you.

Given that you have the Yamaha RX-V361 and the 22 inch TV, the Yamaha 1800 or any Oppo player will be an overkill for you.

At 22 inches, there is no value in video upscaling whatsoever to 1080P. With this TV, it is best to watch all movies at 720P. Since your AVR is a 5.1 system and understand only Dolby and it's variants, there is again no value in overkilling it with a player that can decode many multichannel sound codecs.

Get a simple DVD player that has a component out, a S/PDIF and/or digital out, and has a good reputation. For your requirements, I would recommend something like the Pioneer 220 at 4,500 to be ideal.

Cheers

Given that you have the Yamaha RX-V361 and the 22 inch TV, the Yamaha 1800 or any Oppo player will be an overkill for you.

At 22 inches, there is no value in video upscaling whatsoever to 1080P. With this TV, it is best to watch all movies at 720P. Since your AVR is a 5.1 system and understand only Dolby and it's variants, there is again no value in overkilling it with a player that can decode many multichannel sound codecs.

Get a simple DVD player that has a component out, a S/PDIF and/or digital out, and has a good reputation. For your requirements, I would recommend something like the Pioneer 220 at 4,500 to be ideal.

Cheers

Spot on Venkat , He can also look for Sony DVD Players which carries 1 year warranty.

Cheers

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am not using Coaxial out of AIWA DVDp because
i think analogue out is giving better sound (in short DAC of the present AIWA is better than RXV 361). This AIWA, though branded as AIWA, is actually a sony product and I received the original warranty from sony itself.

I am not going to use coaxial in of RXV 361.I will use the on board DAC. so the product must have a better DAC. hence SONy DVDp is out.

although I am usign RXV 361, i am using its " front channel in" of the multichannel input. In this mode the tone controls and DSP are disabled and it works as a power amplifier.so what are the DSP and DAC capabilities of RXV 361 are out of question. In other words, you may consider that I have a stereo power amplifier with 100W/c rather than an AVR.

I am using Viewsonic 22" monitor. It is not a TV as such. i don't know what it will be able to play in terms of 720p or 1080(i am not well versed with video language). actually I was using it with comp (G force 9400 DVI out).

I went through the said DVDp because it seems to have good DAC. the HDMI, DVDA and SACD will be seen as bonus and a mean of future proofing(in case i go for a projector.)the plan was to use HDMI out for video and analogue stereo out for sound.

regards.

I do not intend to use computer as media centre. My main AV set up and comp are in different rooms.

Last edited:
I went through the said DVDp because it seems to have good DAC. the HDMI, DVDA and SACD will be seen as bonus and a mean of future proofing(in case i go for a projector.)the plan was to use HDMI out for video and analogue stereo out for sound.

If audio quality is important and you need a DVD player with good audio circuitry inside, the best option is the Oppo 981 available from Sound Of Music in Delhi. If I remember right this goes for some 18K.

Another option is the DVD 99 from Cambridge Audio. Spiro and others think highly of it.

Cheers

I second venkat on the suggestion for a ~5K DVDP. Dont even bother about SACD and other formats with the current setup. Is there a reason you are not looking into a PC as a source for your audio and video? PC with a decent 5 channel card can sound as decent as the DVDP and set you up for a bit longer.

Hello friends,

I need your advice. I am planning to upgrade my source. At present I am using an AIWA DVD player(5 year old) analogue out with RXV 361 and homemade speakers(single driver open baffle). I think speakers and amp are doing a good job. I need to get a better source. I came across this while searching.

DVD-S1800

I am yet to listen to SACD but this particular player has that function.Specs look good. as I am not planning to upgrade AVR in near future, i thought Yamaha gear would gel well with theAVR. Has anybody heard this model. it will be used mainly for music. Since I am upgrading, i thought i should think about this featutre. I thought about CDP . I listened to a Denon CDP CD 710 and Denon DVDp. i could not make out the difference in sound quality. So i have decided that i will go for a DVDp rather than a CDP
Budget, yet to decide but definitely less that INR 25K.

Not much interested in the video capabilities. nevertheless
I have viewsonic 22" monitor(WM2235) with DVI in. If i get HDMI to DVI cable, i can use that as my screen.

1) are Yamaha DVDps good?
2) Are they specifically recommended for yamaha AVRs?
3) is SACD an important feature? I listen to music and movies on 2 channels only.

regards

I second venkat on the suggestion for a ~5K DVDP. Dont even bother about SACD and other formats with the current setup. Is there a reason you are not looking into a PC as a source for your audio and video? PC with a decent 5 channel card can sound as decent as the DVDP and set you up for a bit longer.

Ok. I won't think about SACD/DVD A. But i still need a DVDp which is good for music as well/ or i will have to go CDP way with keeping my present DVDp for movies(i watch movie once in a month or so and i don't have any problems with PQ of my present DVDp).

I find using comp just for songs to be a wastage of energy.
in addition to that ,my comp is lazy in start up. i already have n Vidia G force 9400 and Creative sound blaster live in situ but I am so lazy about using it for songs that no speakers are connected to my comp at present.

I won't say anything about my AVR sound quality but i think open baffle single drivers are great and they definitely need a better source than a simple sony DVDp. I have compared (not 1:1) these with some Quad floor stander driven by Denon PM 710. My ears failed to make out a major difference(i cannot rule out minor differences because it was not one to one comparison.)

You can anytime come to my home .But probably building a pair for yourself will be cheaper than coming here( total cost including drivers will be around 4k).

people will say that i am boasting in vain but you have to give it a try to believe it. something similar is being reported in another thread where a Rs 4000 amp is giving serious competition to a NAD.

Regards.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back