Yamaha HTR 2064

AudioHDR

As mentioned in my earlier post, I currently own a Yamaha HT 20164 AVR and planning to upgrade my speakers to Harman KArdon HTR 30/ 65. I have the following questions:
- Does anybody know what is the rated RMS (watt output) of the Yamaha 2064 receiver at 8 ohms. All the literature states its rated at 130 W at 6 ohms...but none mention it at 8 ohms. Is it a compatible combination?
- I tested both HK's 30 and 65. I felt the 65 provides better bass, may be because of the HK 220 sub against the 200 provided with the 30. Any comments?
- I want to look at Boston Acoustics speakers before I make my purchase. Where can I find a place to test the same in Kolkata? Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

I am seriously confused on this. Need some expert help. I own a Yamaha HTR 2064 AVR rated at -/ 130/ 160/ 180 W at 8/6/4/2 ohms. The "-" part is my major cause of concern. In Yamaha's Inida website it reads 100 W at 6 ohms (another gaffe)!!! So it would be lower at 8 ohms?
I plan to upgrade my existing stock yamaha speakers which came along with the YHT 196 HTIB package. I really like the Harman Kardon HKTR 65. HKTR 30 is also good, but I guess the bass is better with the HK Sub 220 against the 200 supplied with 30.
The HKTR 65 speakers are rated at 150 W (max) at 8 ohms. The sub is rated at 200W (400 W max). The spec sheet states the suggested amp power range to be 20-150 W which sounds OK for my current Yamaha AVR. But why is my AVR not rated at 8 ohms? :mad: Is it not safe to be used at 8 ohms? The stock Yamaha speakers are all rated at 6 ohms (nominal 30W, Max 100W). Also, I have heard that its a bad idea to have an under powered amp / AVR. Kindly help. Also, would be great if you could tell me about the after sales service record of HK in Kolkata.

Hi,

There should not be a challenge to use the same AVR with those speakers...most AVRs are designed to handle speakers from 6 ohms onwards....some can even handle 4 ohms load....

That being said, you may face possible heating of the AVR which is normal for any electronic, ensure that the AVR gets enough ventilation or else put a mini blowing fan on top.....

In terms of the sub, if it is powered, no real stress here....all low frequencies will be outputted by the sub and its inbuilt power amp.....placement of the sub is important as it will reflect / deflect the sound in the room...

If the sub is passive, then you need to check the ohms load, watts etc.

I am seriously confused on this. Need some expert help. I own a Yamaha HTR 2064 AVR rated at -/ 130/ 160/ 180 W at 8/6/4/2 ohms. The "-" part is my major cause of concern. In Yamaha's Inida website it reads 100 W at 6 ohms (another gaffe)!!! So it would be lower at 8 ohms?
I plan to upgrade my existing stock yamaha speakers which came along with the YHT 196 HTIB package. I really like the Harman Kardon HKTR 65. HKTR 30 is also good, but I guess the bass is better with the HK Sub 220 against the 200 supplied with 30.
The HKTR 65 speakers are rated at 150 W (max) at 8 ohms. The sub is rated at 200W (400 W max). The spec sheet states the suggested amp power range to be 20-150 W which sounds OK for my current Yamaha AVR. But why is my AVR not rated at 8 ohms? :mad: Is it not safe to be used at 8 ohms? The stock Yamaha speakers are all rated at 6 ohms (nominal 30W, Max 100W). Also, I have heard that its a bad idea to have an under powered amp / AVR. Kindly help. Also, would be great if you could tell me about the after sales service record of HK in Kolkata.

Hello HTR-2064 can handle speakers of 8ohms, since the impedance is higher than stock speakers, it cannot draw more power from the existing AMP. So if the 6 ohms speakers could draw 100watts RMS then 8ohms would draw slightly less than 100watts. This should mean no overheating of AMP. I use Q Acoustics 2010 with my HTR which are rated at max 80w RMS and minimal impedance of 4 ohms and nominal impedance of 6 ohms.

My understanding is that if you connect speakers less than 6 ohms then it may draw huge power thereby resulting in overheating and tripping.

I did not find anything called HKTR65, I found HKTS 65 which are rated at 8ohms nominal and have power rating of 20-150w. The subwoofer is active so need not be an issue, just connect it to the Sub-out on the HTR-2064. The sensitivity of HKTS is a bit low around 83db, so may be you have to crank up the volume on the receiver. You could probably look at other speakers with higher sensitiivity at least 86db so that the AMP can drive them without much effort. All the best!

Just to add, I currently use Dayton Sat BK for my rear configuration, these are 8ohms and I have no issues.

Regards,
Rajiv

Thanks a lot for the inputs. I was seriously considering the Boston Acoustics speakers on sale here (should come in the same budget). The only issue being they seem to be quite large and bulky. Also, I am not sure on the after sales service I will get for these speakers in Kolkata. Further, I am not in favor of buying something I haven't experienced first hand. Is anyone aware of any place in Kolkata where I can experience the BA speakers? Also what about service centers?

Since you are in Kolkatta, why don't you try Sonodyne Sonus, they may suit your budget and after sales should not be an issue as well, just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Rajiv

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back