Yamaha NS-555 and 777 audition.

peace_sells

Hi guys.

Had an audition yesterday at YAMAHA Thomsun Music House, Indiranagar, Bangalore. I wanted to check out two of their tower speakers : NS-555 and NS-777 (wonder why they don't have 666 :D).

So i took my amp, Denon PMA-1500ae along. A Sony CD player was connected to it. Auditioned the speakers with 3 songs:

Dream Theater - Dance of Eternity
Pink Floyd - Have a Cigar
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Ok so considering the 555 and 777 have frequency responses of 35 and 30 Hz onwards respectively, I was very disappointed! The Dream Theater song i picked is such a 'bassy' song and that sounded quite flat in my opinion! I mean there was hardly any bass (I had to turn up the bass knob of my amp to atleast 3/4th to hear something).

Both the speakers were quite sensitive. They were nice big and loud. Yes 'both'. I hardly found any distinctive difference between the two (I never turned up the volume knob on my amp beyond 40%).

Basically i wasn't that impressed. Yes they were loud. They'd fill up a really big space but somehow it sounded a little plastic. I'd auditioned Mission M34i (with the same amp) few weeks ago and i found that to be a lot more impressive. And sensitive. It was warmer, had the same effect at really low volumes, plus it had some really 'juicy' amount of bass (freq. response of that is 44Hz onwards).

Oh and the price. Initially the price he mentioned was:

44k for 555 and 51k for 777 (when i asked him before the audition).
30k for 555 and 35k for 777 (after the audition. I asked him how much discount can i get. So he went to his computer and came back to me with a revised price!:p)

So has anyone else had an experience with these yamaha speakers? Which are some of the other yamaha speakers in this range (not more than 50k) that are worth it?

Hi,

for two channel audio I don't think any Yamaha speakers except the Soavo 1's (or 2's not available in India) are worth the price they ask for. As you found out they are big boomy boxes more suited for movies.

Regards

Thanks for the heads up bro !

BTW, how costly is the Mission M34i ?

The place from where i auditioned the M34i..that guy was selling it for 24k. But its price should not be more than 20k (he was asking a bit too much!). around 19k is the standard price of M34i.

+1, only Soavo series is good in Yamaha but they are expensive. You can get other good brands and speakers at Soavo's price.

Hi,

for two channel audio I don't think any Yamaha speakers except the Soavo 1's (or 2's not available in India) are worth the price they ask for. As you found out they are big boomy boxes more suited for movies.

Regards

Hi guys.

Had an audition yesterday at YAMAHA Thomsun Music House, Indiranagar, Bangalore. I wanted to check out two of their tower speakers : NS-555 and NS-777 (wonder why they don't have 666 :D).

So i took my amp, Denon PMA-1500ae along. A Sony CD player was connected to it. Auditioned the speakers with 3 songs:

Ok so considering the 555 and 777 have frequency responses of 35 and 30 Hz onwards respectively, I was very disappointed! The Dream Theater song i picked is such a 'bassy' song and that sounded quite flat in my opinion! I mean there was hardly any bass (I had to turn up the bass knob of my amp to atleast 3/4th to hear something).

Both the speakers were quite sensitive. They were nice big and loud. Yes 'both'. I hardly found any distinctive difference between the two (I never turned up the volume knob on my amp beyond 40%).

Basically i wasn't that impressed. Yes they were loud. They'd fill up a really big space but somehow it sounded a little plastic. I'd auditioned Mission M34i (with the same amp) few weeks ago and i found that to be a lot more impressive. And sensitive. It was warmer, had the same effect at really low volumes, plus it had some really 'juicy' amount of bass (freq. response of that is 44Hz onwards).

30k for 555 and 35k for 777 (after the audition. I asked him how much discount can i get. So he went to his computer and came back to me with a revised price!:p)

So has anyone else had an experience with these yamaha speakers? Which are some of the other yamaha speakers in this range (not more than 50k) that are worth it?

Hi,
Im very interested in the Yam 555 Speakers..
When did u get 30K price?(which date)
Do you remember the name of person who gave you the quote??

Please advice at the earliest!

~Steve

BTW, I had a brief listening session with the NS 555 with Yamaha AS500 amp and to my untrained non-hifi ears, it sounds really good !

Hi guys.

These yamaha speakers were not worth for music lovers, its very cheap speakers, very boomy and loud. I personally not interested this type of speakers. (Another scrap is Jamo S series)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back