Yamaha R-N602 vs Onkyo A-9050 / Preowned NAD C326BEE

apbinu

Hi FM,

I was primarily looking for 2.1 setup, currently in the hunt for good integrated amp which will be driving AJ FS52 + Velodyne Impact 10.
It would be 70% Music & 30% movies.

Output Power Range :- 55W - 120W
Pre out / Sub out - To connect active SubWoofer
Digital inputs will be plus

Shortlisted following & would like expert advice & opinion to narrow down to the final.

Brand New
--------------------

Yamaha R-N602 - Fully loaded & future ready if i can call it so ;) did audition it at Pro-FX pair with KEF bookshelf speakers & it did sound good. I think it would be lot better if its paired with good FS. Priced at 41k incl discount.

Onkyo A-9050 - Again specf on the similar lines of Yamaha R-N602 minus all the bells and whistles like Wifi, Bluetooth etc. however does has Digital inputs & sub-out which i'm primarily looking for. Priced at 33k incl discount. Did audition A-9010 which is next lower version & as per the dealer the sound signature should be similar with some extra 30W per ch.

Preowned
--------------------
NAD C326BEE - Did audition this one with AJ FS52 which i already own. It did sound good, however i won't say it blew me away might be becoz I didn't hear the music as per my taste. Priced at 25k for 2yr old amp.

other preowned options available Marantz PM5005/PM6004, Marantz MCR510.

i'm confused :confused: Please help me decide which one should i opt, i know end of the day its individuals preference, but some directions/inputs won't harm correct :cool:

Cheers :cheers:,
Binu

My 100th Post on HifiVision :clapping:

Let me first thank all the FM on this forum who helped & guided me to make the right choice in choosing the integrated amplifier & finally the day has come. I acquired pre-owned Marantz PM6005 :yahoo:

My setup :- Marantz PM6005 + AJ FS52 + Velodyne Impact 10
Panasonic dmp bdt220 (Can live with it for now, might think of upgrading next year ;) )

First impression "Wowwwwww now that's what i was missing with my Denon 1612" Now i know why FM always stated you should pair AJ FS52 with an integrated amp. The speakers have come to life.
Earlier i was skeptical about Marantz PM6005, if it would drive 130W per Channel FS52. i'm glad to say it does & does it beautifully. Connecting Velodyne Impact 10 to the setup is a bonus if your a "Bass lover" :eek:hyeah:

Watched movie "The Martian" on Movies HD with my new 2.1 setup & didn't miss the surround much as i was impressed with the Clarity & the deep bass brought by the setup.

Thank you once again FM & happy listening :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Binu AP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42" Plasma | Marantz PM6005 | AJ FS52 | Velodyne Impact 10 | Panasonic dmp bdt220

@apbinu: How is the PM6005 compared to the Yamaha N602? I suppose both of them are in the same price range of 37-40K after discounts.

@apbinu: How is the PM6005 compared to the Yamaha N602? I suppose both of them are in the same price range of 37-40K after discounts.

If your looking for feature like Bluetooth & network connectivity in integrated amp then don't look further pick up yamaha N602. But if your more keen on how they perform i.e sound stage / refinement / detailed then i think you should be looking at PM6005 / PM6006. I'm very happy with PM6005. Within the budget of 37k you can buy PM6006 which is latest with slight variation from previous PM6005 like Digital Inputs (2 Optical, 1 Coax) rest everything is almost same.

Cheers,
Binu AP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42" Plasma | Marantz PM6005 | AJ FS52 | Velodyne Impact 10 | Panasonic dmp bdt220

If your looking for feature like Bluetooth & network connectivity in integrated amp then don't look further pick up yamaha N602. But if your more keen on how they perform i.e sound stage / refinement / detailed then i think you should be looking at PM6005 / PM6006. I'm very happy with PM6005. Within the budget of 37k you can buy PM6006 which is latest with slight variation from previous PM6005 like Digital Inputs (2 Optical, 1 Coax) rest everything is almost same.

Cheers,
Binu AP

Thanks. Does that mean that the Yamaha is not at the same 'level' when it comes to the actual sound quality like the PM6005/6006?
One option I have is to buy the 5005 for around 21000 on HiFimart currently and spend about 15K for a good DAC.
But that means one more device and more wiring and complication for the family members to deal with the stuff.

I see that you are using a sub as well. Are you using it with 6005 for 2.1 ch movie watching?
Will be going for Dali Zensor 3 most probably and hence might need a sub (other option is to skip sub and pay Rs. 20000 extra for Zensor 7 floor standers).

If your planning to pair it with Dali speakers, then i would strongly recommend to go with Marantz, as Dali's are considered slightly bright & Marantz on the warm side. Hence it would match perfectly. Again audition it if you have the option to pair it up with Yamaha & Marantz for demo. You will definitely find the difference i'm talking about.

Coming to my setup, yes i do have Velodyne Impact 10 which is paired with Marantz PM6005. The advantage here is, i have connected Sub to the B channel on amp (note for this setup to work your choice of sub should have high line input) you will have the leverage to toggle between only A channel (without sub), A + B channel(with sub) combination to get more bass when you need it.... for Movies esply :)

I'm kind of a person who loves those punchy lows even on min vol for music & this setup works perfectly for me :cool:

Cheers,
Binu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back