Yamaha RX-V3900

Dracula

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Yamaha 3900 for my games/theatre room and having a few issues getting any output from my sub.

I have only been using 2 front speakers plus the sub so a 2.1 set-up. From default (or initial set up) I have output from my sub and missing various other audio outputs I assume because probably defaults to a 5.1 or 7.1 setting?? I then plug in the microphone and it does it's sound check. After this the sound is fine from the 2 front speakers ie. getting all audio, but the sub is then inactive.

I then go through all of the audio settings (or program functions) that change all the different types of outputs and I can select 7 channel or 2 channel and then all the other variations but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the sub.

My previous av receiver had a 2.1 setting and that is what I used but this just has 2 channel stereo.

The sub is connected fine, as I said from initial setting (after resetting) there is output from the sub but not all audio is being outputted to the front speakers.

Does anyone have any suggestions or what I'm doing wrong here? I have been through the manual numerous times and can't find anything to help.

I also really only want 2.1 as I play a lot of music and watch alot of music dvds. My seating is also in the middle of the room so don't really care for the surround effects of a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

I love all this audio / hifi gear but man I hate setting it up and especially when I can't get it to do what I want.

Thanks for any help / suggestions!!!

Mark.

I am not too familiar with AV receivers.
I guess, as you are running in stereo mode, sound will be output only to front L and R channels. But there should be setting for selecting front speakers to output only frequencies above say 120Hz, so that the frequencies below 120Hz will go to Sub. Currently your setting might be such that signal of all frequencies go to the front speakers.

In the speaker settings, make surround and center as NO, subwoofer YES... Make Front speakers as SMALL... Set the crossover frequency at 80Hz or may be 100Hz for Subwoofer(HPF/LFE).. after that you can use the YPAO for making other settings like distance and all..
This should give you the desired results..
Enjoy..!

My guess is that you have turned up the volume of subwoofer way too high.
Try reducing the subwoofer's gain/level knob all the way down and turn up the AVR's volume and see if it solves the problem.

One more thing. In Yamaha receivers if you select 'Pure Direct' mode the subwoofer won't get the signal, it will be purely 2.0. If you want to listen 2.1 then select either 'Stright' or '2 Ch Stereo'.

HTH

Last edited:
My friend had a similar problem and he checked the setting in the receiver and also the audio out from the TV (Because he was playing vdos from a usb stick) was in PCM, He said for some reason all the settings were reverted to defaults. Hope this helps in solving your problem :)

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back