Yamaha RX-V663 v/s RX-V863

Hello All,
After going through several threads in this forum, I have shortlisted Yamaha 663 paired with Wharfedale speakers(9.6,9.cm,sw-150) for my 20x22 living room with 60-40 Music-Movies usage.
The dealer has offered to give 863 at a special price of ~46K and he is suggesting me to go for 863 instead of 663(price ~35K, still to negotiate).
I would like to have experts' opinion from this forum on the following:
1. Is price difference of ~11K reasonable for going for 863 considering that upscaling to 1080p seems useful to me for watching Airtel Digital TV.
2. Also the dealer is saying that 663 will not drive Wharfedale 9.6 well.So he recommends 863 for W9.6.
3. I have a pair of old Sony speakers SS H991:8ohm,6.8"woofer,2"mid-range,0.8"Tweeter; Max i/p Power >85W(not exactly known). This pair I would like to reuse as the rear surround speakers. Please comment if this seems OK.
Thanks for your help.

1. Is price difference of ~11K reasonable for going for 863 considering that upscaling to 1080p seems useful to me for watching Airtel Digital TV.

The price difference between the two has generally been 10 t0 15K. So I suppose it is all right.

2. Also the dealer is saying that 663 will not drive Wharfedale 9.6 well.So he recommends 863 for W9.6.

I don't agree. The 663 can pump out 90 watts per channel which is more than enough to drive the 9.6. But, many people believe in having an amplifier whose rated capacity is more than the limit of the speaker. In that case, even the 863 will be insufficient. But believe me, the 663 can drive the 9.6 well. And the difference in power rating between 663 and 863 is very small in any case.

3. I have a pair of old Sony speakers SS H991:8ohm,6.8"woofer,2"mid-range,0.8"Tweeter; Max i/p Power >85W(not exactly known). This pair I would like to reuse as the rear surround speakers. Please comment if this seems OK.

If these speakers have a impedance of 8 or 6 ohms, and a rated capacity of between 30 to 100 watts, yes, you can use them. You should be sure and careful of the impedance.

Cheers

Last edited:
Venkat sir has already explained the others. The price is attractive for the 863. While the 663 is no slouch go for the 863 if you can afford it.

Hello All,
After going through several threads in this forum, I have shortlisted Yamaha 663 paired with Wharfedale speakers(9.6,9.cm,sw-150) for my 20x22 living room with 60-40 Music-Movies usage.
The dealer has offered to give 863 at a special price of ~46K and he is suggesting me to go for 863 instead of 663(price ~35K, still to negotiate).
I would like to have experts' opinion from this forum on the following:
Thanks for your help.

Hi Shagun,
The deal sounds interesting - where are you getting it? If we pair up, do we get more discount?
regards

Hi Venkat,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I really appreciate the value you are adding to this forum.
Best Regards.

Anm:I would reply to you by tomorrow.

Hi Anm,

I am getting this deal from Denny of Bass n Treble(Dwarka).
He is saying that he cannot go lower than this price but I think if there are several people interested he may give some discount.
But I guess it is only 2/3 of us interested.

Regards.

thanks Shagun!

Is he giving you this price because you are buying WF speakers also from him, or can we get it when we buy just the receiver?
like the b'lore thread, we can start a new delhi thread for group buy. Though a reality check tells me that I do not need a hidef receiver as yet as my current one works fine for 5.1, don't really think I can mount 7.1 speakers, and there is no hi def content with me (neither seventymm is renting out blue ray, nor do I think I can afford super expensive br disks). Don't have a player either :)

regards

Last edited:
thanks Shagun!

Is he giving you this price because you are buying WF speakers also from him, or can we get it when we buy just the receiver?
like the b'lore thread, we can start a new delhi thread for group buy.
regards

Hi ANM,
The dealer is giving this deal whether I take WF speakers from him or not.
But he does not want me to publicize the price.

However you can get the same deal from Bharat(Gemini Trader,near Red Fort) as well.
Regarding starting a new thread, I suppose there are few people from ND interested.
Regards.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back