Yamaha RXV-685 residual current on screws and vents and usb port in india

sand87ch

I purchased a Yamaha RXV-685 in June 2020.The screws,usb port,aux port or the insides of the vents of the Yamaha receiver is having small electricity.Its not something that will give a shock but yes it does give a tingling sensation if touched.So naturally i took a tester and when i tested i found the small current.Its not there on the whole body probably due to the paint.

I thought this could be a defect and hence called up the seller and he checked his personal device and also some other Yamaha AVRs and found the presence of this small residual current.He wasn't aware about this till i reported it on my device.

i just need to confirm for peace of mind if its only certain AVRs or if this is there on every Yamaha AVR which may suggest that its as intended and not actually a defect.

Please find the attached photos.Could Indian Yamaha users please confirm if this is the case with all their AVRs?

Please note that the BODY
doesn't have any current due to the paint coating but only the screws and any metallic part like the inside of the vents and the usb port and if u connect an AUX and put a tester to the other end of the aux cable u will see this current.

Attachments

• c79f8b59-d536-48ff-993b-fbfe6118a908.jpeg
    c79f8b59-d536-48ff-993b-fbfe6118a908.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 41
  • d386ec7d-6322-4f5b-b789-5239bd1745c9.jpeg
    d386ec7d-6322-4f5b-b789-5239bd1745c9.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
  • dcf6be26-36dd-4733-b69e-f08ef2801bb0.jpeg
    dcf6be26-36dd-4733-b69e-f08ef2801bb0.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 44
This is actually an issue with many AVRs, particularly with the older models I have came across. I have a Yamaha RX-V473 which I bought back in 2010 has similar problem but its been serving me from 10 years now. Seen similar thing with my cousin's Denon 1912.

I also owned Yamaha RX-V371 for couple of years in the US and experienced mild shock sometimes. I haven't noticed this in Yamaha RX-A870 and Yamaha RX-A880 which I own now. Hope this helps.

This is actually an issue with many AVRs, particularly with the older models I have came across. I have a Yamaha RX-V473 which I bought back in 2010 has similar problem but its been serving me from 10 years now. Seen similar thing with my cousin's Denon 1912.

I also owned Yamaha RX-V371 for couple of years in the US and experienced mild shock sometimes. I haven't noticed this in Yamaha RX-A870 and Yamaha RX-A880 which I own now. Hope this helps.
this is a new one i bought last month.i think they havent fixed it yet.
so now ques is is it a premium model vs non premium issue or is it an issue with some avrs?this is really exhausting to find out

Last edited:
can any recent rx-485 to 685 members confirm this phenomenon???pls comment

Last edited:
Hi, I own a v477 and I do not get any static electric current. Try connecting the AVR directly to power socket and do not use any extender.

Hi, I own a v477 and I do not get any static electric current. Try connecting the AVR directly to power socket and do not use any extender.
have tried that already.still its there.its not static current per se.its earth and due to the absence of the grounding plug as its a two pin.i dont know if other yamaha avrs seem to have this but mine does

I had experienced this with Marantz 5013 few times but not on regular basis.
mine is on a regular basis on every single plug socket in at least two homes.the irony is that its present on the metal parts of my tv too.but then its present on the avrs the seller tested.so it foesnt make any sense.whats wrong here??all this is really minute current but its still there to give you that very slight tingling sensation.problem is say i use a headphone to connect it could be a problem

Check your home wiring
checked.no electricity in the neutral pin.also i have already checked at another newly constructed home with good wiring.also it cant be that somone in delhi too is seeing the same issue with a yamaha model.

Last edited:
I have earlier model 683, No problem leakage of electricity at all. This model has one large step down transformer and SMPS for powering digital circuitry.

AVR has two pin plug so home wiring or earthing play no roll here. If it is giving mild shock then it is entirely AVR problem.

When AVR is on standby mode (pressing OFF from remote but mains power is ON), does it give shock?

I have earlier model 683, No problem leakage of electricity at all. This model has one large step down transformer and SMPS for powering digital circuitry.

AVR has two pin plug so home wiring or earthing play no roll here. If it is giving mild shock then it is entirely AVR problem.

When AVR is on standby mode (pressing OFF from remote but mains power is ON), does it give shock?
No it doesnt give shock in standby mode.Only wen powered on.
Its not a huge current.A mild one that can give tingling sensation and also seen if a tester i used.DId u check with a tester on the screws and/or the usb ports.It wont come on the body due to the paint.

I have experienced similar problem with my marantz amp, TV, and air cooler . Actually it turned out to be a polarity issue. Tried reversing the plug and it's gone. Try that and let me know.

I have experienced similar problem with my marantz amp, TV, and air cooler . Actually it turned out to be a polarity issue. Tried reversing the plug and it's gone. Try that and let me know.
did that already.still there

reason is i dont want to repair and so the only option is to sell, as amazon wont take it back after 10days and this is one month old.hence anyways i wont get much money wen i disclose the reason for the sale.hence before selling off a defective item i want to make sure that its not smthng thats there in every device so that i dont end up selling a working device

so anybody who can help pls check with tester screw drivers and respond.u guys are the only ones who can help me out

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back