Yamaha RXV-685 residual current on screws and vents and usb port in india

I recently purchased (10 days back ) Yamaha RX 685 , i dint find any kind of static or leakage problem.
question is did u check with a tester in the inside surface of the vents and the screws onthe sides or the unpainted ones in the back.on the body it wont reflect as the paint acts as an insulation.
if still its not there u r one of the lucky guys as only last saturday i had checked new products at a dealers and every single piece had this
even the yamaha dealers were dumbstruck as they claimed that they hadnt seen this as yet.

I recently purchased (10 days back ) Yamaha RX 685 , i dint find any kind of static or leakage problem.
would u be able to use a tester and check and send the images if thats ok with you?
actually if its not there,i dont know wat to say.Honestly no iffence intended but either u r not checking properly or yamaha has a totally screwed up QA.
you guys are the only ones who can check and confirm.
because i have checked the power plug at all the locations i cud with my device and also at the dealers using a multimeter and seriously there ground had no issues.i checked grnd-neutral,grnd-live and live-neutral.

Last edited:
This small tingling may be caused by leakage due to the Y capacitor inside the SMPS - they say
it is "safe" -

Hi All Yamaha rx v685 users, can any one please confirm after your latest firmware update if its connected to latest TV with eArc support, does the Avr support and pass-through lossless audio through eArc on this AVR?

checked a RX-A1080 new one.that too has the leakage pot but it isnt giving shock or anythng.dont know what to say.

Due t this leakage potential on Yamaha devices and lack of non 8K devices in the market of other manufacturers as of now stuck in a rut where i have to probably now sell off my POLK S20 speakers that are again brand new and used for only max 2 months and that too very sparsely.I want to buy an aventage if possible but this voltage stuff is making it impossible.And with the next 8K aventages in the pipeline soon i will not have anything to buy till the next iteration probably in 2022 when all the hdmi 2.1 probably may have been fixed

I have a Yamaha WXC 50 Streamer/Preamp and I have seen that happen. I did not notice this from day 1 but recently I felt that couple of times.
I had seen this in several threads that some of the FM’s have had this problem so did not bother reaching out to Yamaha assuming they would not offer any help.

I have a Yamaha WXC 50 Streamer/Preamp and I have seen that happen. I did not notice this from day 1 but recently I felt that couple of times.
I had seen this in several threads that some of the FM’s have had this problem so did not bother reaching out to Yamaha assuming they would not offer any help.
well its their design issue but sadly these guys wont bother putting a 3rd ground pin to it.had they done it this issue would be solved forever and they can because they provide it in UK atleast.Concern is that many have told me that the current flowing to connected devices will slowly but surely take out the microprocessor chips.Dont know if switching brands may solve this,though i wud prefer a yamaha any day considering the hdmi and heating issues with Marantz.

well its their design issue but sadly these guys wont bother putting a 3rd ground pin to it.had they done it this issue would be solved forever and they can because they provide it in UK atleast.Concern is that many have told me that the current flowing to connected devices will slowly but surely take out the microprocessor chips.Dont know if switching brands may solve this,though i wud prefer a yamaha any day considering the hdmi and heating issues with Marantz.

Sorry to interrupt guys.
Third pin is effective, ONLY if 220v is used for the device, which in this case is not. That's good for fridges, AC etc. All electronics run on DC, which has no connection to earth. Many a time, some static is built and stays till someone touches the screws etc, after which it drains out. Does the same feel repeat after touching? If yes, try touching a proper earth wire once, then feel again. If yes, I suggest you connect an earthing wire to the body.

There is a drawback too! This transient current, immaterial what value, is lying there and does no harm. However, if you provide an outlet, it will keep flowing and damage your device. [Despite best designs in DC supplies, the compact design sometimes cannot prevent AC ripples entering the nearby components, and hence the shock!]

On a sidenote, in Delhi, I sometimes get shock from taps, when the pipe itself is grounded at all times. Though it is not persistent.

Sorry to interrupt guys.
Third pin is effective, ONLY if 220v is used for the device, which in this case is not. That's good for fridges, AC etc. All electronics run on DC, which has no connection to earth. Many a time, some static is built and stays till someone touches the screws etc, after which it drains out. Does the same feel repeat after touching? If yes, try touching a proper earth wire once, then feel again. If yes, I suggest you connect an earthing wire to the body.

There is a drawback too! This transient current, immaterial what value, is lying there and does no harm. However, if you provide an outlet, it will keep flowing and damage your device. [Despite best designs in DC supplies, the compact design sometimes cannot prevent AC ripples entering the nearby components, and hence the shock!]

On a sidenote, in Delhi, I sometimes get shock from taps, when the pipe itself is grounded at all times. Though it is not persistent.
it wasnt static but a continuous tingle on mine.the new devices at the shop has this but doesnt give even a tingle as if now.dont know if down the line it gets bad.however i didnt understand the outlet part in ur comment.i guess u mean connecting to other devices.anyways it was ac current and not dc

This thread has put me off buying a Yamaha amp or AVR forever.
well how knows. u may get lucky and get one without the leakage potential. As i have been saying time and again here its like a toss.u may get one with issue or not. Just make sure to test it before buying.

Just FYI, it may not be AVR's fault at all unless you get it after you've removed all connections. Most consumer electronic devices are designed with a floating ground (2 pin) and when you connect them together - they all share this ground (through HDMI, coax, analog, etc). The wisdom for this is that all devices will have some micro leakages and if grounded independently - they all will end up having slight variations in ground from one another which then results in signal noise.

In my case, it's the TV (Samsung The Frame) that adds this voltage and it reduces when I connect my macbook (3 pin plug) to it. The same voltage I get to see from my sub and AVR when the TV is connected. The solution for this is to ignore it if it isn't big enough or find the culprit device and ground it at an appropriate point (try unused input / outputs' ground connection).

Just FYI, it may not be AVR's fault at all unless you get it after you've removed all connections. Most consumer electronic devices are designed with a floating ground (2 pin) and when you connect them together - they all share this ground (through HDMI, coax, analog, etc). The wisdom for this is that all devices will have some micro leakages and if grounded independently - they all will end up having slight variations in ground from one another which then results in signal noise.

In my case, it's the TV (Samsung The Frame) that adds this voltage and it reduces when I connect my macbook (3 pin plug) to it. The same voltage I get to see from my sub and AVR when the TV is connected. The solution for this is to ignore it if it isn't big enough or find the culprit device and ground it at an appropriate point (try unused input / outputs' ground connection).
yes i checked after removing all connections..and it still had the potential on the body as did many other yamaha devices at the authorized dealers except the low range YHT 3070 or smthng

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back