yamaha yht-196 subwoofer upgrade suggestions required

eriek_halenx

Hello friends,

I'd like to upgrade my YHT-196 sub from the current passive one to an active one. AV receiver has sub out. Some details below.

1. Prefer Yamaha itself. Are its sub's comparatively good quality vis a vis other brands?
2. Viewing movies adn tv series about 75% of the time.
3. Max 30k budget. I might upgrade AV and speaker set after 3-4y. Would like to keep the sub then.
4. Not a bass head per se who listens at an earth shattering volume. Would prefer quality over quantity.
Tv room is about 15' x16' ft. (half a hall). The other half is a dining room. Viewer distance from tv (4k 55') to couch is about 10 feet.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Attachments

• tv_comp_res.jpg
    tv_comp_res.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 54
Hello friends,

I'd like to upgrade my YHT-196 sub from the current passive one to an active one. AV receiver has sub out. Some details below.

1. Prefer Yamaha itself. Are its sub's comparatively good quality vis a vis other brands?
2. Viewing movies adn tv series about 75% of the time.
3. Max 30k budget. I might upgrade AV and speaker set after 3-4y. Would like to keep the sub then.
4. Not a bass head per se who listens at an earth shattering volume. Would prefer quality over quantity.
Tv room is about 15' x16' ft. (half a hall). The other half is a dining room. Viewer distance from tv (4k 55') to couch is about 10 feet.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Hi

If you are used to the Yamaha sound then get a Yamaha subs...their sub range starts from 12k onwards....the SW 315 or SW 300 should suffice for the room area and also has decent connection options...

See HT store for the kind of subs and their rates....check all specs before making any purchases...check the rates also with other dealers...

See the classifieds....there are 2 BIC PL 200 ii subs being sold....check with the FM if he is ok to part with one...perhaps the other one can be purchased by another FM who wants a single sub...

All the best!

Bic pl 200-ii. It retails at 42k but there is two on sale for 75. So negotiate and get it for somewhere around 33-35k. If you still want to stick with only 30k go for the bic f12. Suggesting these two models cause both are 12 inch. Other subs in 30k wil be mostly 10 inch

Prefer Yamaha itself.

Do consider other choices as well before you finalize Yamaha subwoofer..

Max 30k budget.

If you are open to choices from other brands, consider Taga Harmony TSW 200 to your list, a 12 inch sub, under 30K in addition to what has been already suggested by members..

Addition of any active sub to your set-up, would be a significant upgrade from HTIB's passive sub..

Thanks all,

One more thing. It would be great if the sub height is inside 12' in. My current sub is kept below a sofa stool (open on 4 sides). A larger sub would require a little bit of creative realignment in the drawing room to hide it / wires. The Yamaha NS 200 should fit. But its a lesser 120 W.

Yes @elangoas I'm okay with other brands also. Though I've to check up on them, as I'm unfamiliar.

Thanks @Love4sound, but the Bic pl 200-ii is beyond my budget and I'm not keen on 2nd hand electronics.

Thanks @efernand1 they are good options.

Thanks all,

One more thing. It would be great if the sub height is inside 12' in. My current sub is kept below a sofa stool (open on 4 sides). A larger sub would require a little bit of creative realignment in the drawing room to hide it / wires. The Yamaha NS 200 should fit. But its a lesser 120 W.

Yes @elangoas I'm okay with other brands also. Though I've to check up on them, as I'm unfamiliar.

Thanks @Love4sound, but the Bic pl 200-ii is beyond my budget and I'm not keen on 2nd hand electronics.

Thanks @efernand1 they are good options.

As you said you are not too much into being a basshead and also if you were used to the passive one all this time...guess the NS 200 should work well for you....

Better to check all specs of other brands especially the dimensions so that you have no challenges later

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I had decided on the yamaha sw300; the online reviews are good. But it went out of stock. Recently the yamaha dealer here in tvpm mentioned it will be available with him after the 26th of this month. So what would be a fair price for this?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back