Yamaha YPAO (RSC) room calibration experiment

ISO

I'm having having Yamaha RXV 683 from past one hand half years. As per the recommendation I was calibrating room by keeping YPAO mic at vertical position at ear height of listening position.

This arrangement gave me consistently low bass, over emphasized mid range and not so good treble. Listening music with this sound signature was not motivating at all.

I think when you keep mic vertical, what it receives is all reflected sound. This mic has long throat to channel sound in. IMO this arrangement do not make it omnidirectional. Anyway omnidirectional directional is not suitable because human ear is not omnidirectional. I think it is RSC part of YPAO, cancelling reflected sound might have resulted in low bass output.

I did one experiment. Instead of keeping mic vertical I kept it horizontal facing to Klipsch tower and center speakers. Bingo! Now sound is fuller with correct emphasis on low mid and high of the sound spectrum. I'm how hearing some instruments that I never heard before. Performance of the rear surround improved. Two channel music is now sweet with huge sound stage. Performance of the Klipsch RP is shining.

I posted this so as to benefit other if they are facing problem mentioned above.

I'm now fully convinced 'why room calibration is also important for stereo (dedicated) listening?' Please share your experience of room calibration for dedicated two channel setup.

Last edited:
YPAO is a good approximation but it’s always OK to refine your treatment manually after that. I have seen much better results from Audessey XT 32 by Denon though YPAO has improved over past few years.

Also your hearing plays a much bigger role in you liking the music than the YPAO mic

Thanks for posting,I m in same page with Yamaha v685 and Klipsch speakers.

Perfect marriage. I don't think you will need sub as bass response is very very nice. Klipsch RP bass response is deep and do not extend to mid range to make it muddy. This is real test of good quality speakers.

Last edited:
YPAO is a good approximation but it’s always OK to refine your treatment manually after that. I have seen much better results from Audessey XT 32 by Denon though YPAO has improved over past few years.

Also your hearing plays a much bigger role in you liking the music than the YPAO mic

I feel it not only correct frequency response and room reflection but also bring everything in coherence. What I mean in two way system, if sound is biased towards high frequency side then tweeter output is more than woofer, system sound bright and harsh. In reverse it sounds muddy if woofer output is more. IMO room calibration bring coherence between woofer and tweeter and system sounds sweet.

I can check this by turning on pure direct that bypasses DSP.

How to do YAPO.

Pretty similar with slight difference I maintained above.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back