Yet another dedicated home theater build :)

Update on 28-Aug-2013

Made some great progress. Following work is completed

1. Finished all the absorber panels
2. Work in progress for bass trap panels
3. Work in progress for wall panels
4. Wiring for lightings completed. Lights will be installed on Friday / Saturday
5. Screen panel mounted on the wall. Screen cloth will be fixed on Friday
6. False ceiling framing done. Now just need to put the tiles on the frame. Expected to complete by Friday.

Here are some pictures

Building Absorber panel using 2'x4'x4" plywood frame and filling it with 4" of Synth PF and 20mm Strand SS. Finally cover the frame using acoustically transparent cotton fabric.

Finished 4" wall absorbers

Finished 6" bass traps. More to build.

Entire Album

ImageShack Album - 13 images

Thanks,
John.

This is awesome man.. hats off to you. now can you share how much did the materials and the labor cost you??

I should really thank my carpenters and electrician who executed the work exactly like what I have told them to do. They deserve a special appreciation :). I am amazed with their attitude and willingness to do something totally different from their every day job. Now they have become masters of home theater build :).

Coming to the cost now. I did go little overboard with acoustics. I didn't spend much money on the looks part. Here is the breakup. Total damage is little over Rs 2 Lakhs :(.

Heavy duty wire 20 meters 500
Normal Wire 50 meters 1,300
Wire holder plugs 250
Lighting 16,000
5A Top 75
5A SS Combined 250

Plywood 6mm 8x4 1 1,056
Plywood 6mm 7x4 15 10,080
Plywood 19mm 7x4 5 9,660
Plywood 19mm 8x4 2 4,416
BWR Ply 19mm 7x4 1 2,408
Lamination 8x4 1 1,025
Transportation 250

Glue 5 Kg 1,000
Nails/Screws 500
Accessories 3,500

Heavy Duty Staples 150
Heavy Duty Stapler 1,000

Aurica Panels 4,200

Anutone

Synth PF 10/50mm 4 rolls 19,695
Strand SS 2x4 12 8,087
Subtex ebony tile 50 54,864
Transportation 1,000

Cloth - Absorbing 36 meters 4,320
Cloth - Reflective 50 meters 6,000
Cloth - Bass Trap 36 meters 4,320

Labor - Electric 4,500
Labor - Carpenter 28,000
Labor - False Ceiling 6,912

Carpet 8,500

Buffer 5,000

Total 2,08,818

Thanks,
John.

Is this 2L acoustics is to cover all the walls & roof entirely for the room size 24'x15' ?
If yes, then it is really worth for the money spend.

Yes,

The entire room of 24'x15.5'with acoustic false ceiling, reflective panels, absorber panels, floor to ceiling corner bass traps for all 4 corners, lightings (LEDs, LED Strips, Motion sensitive light controls), Aurica diffusor panels, labor etc.

The cassette AC is separate though :).

Thanks,
John.

Thanks for the detailed breakup on the pricing.

Carpenter labour seems to be cheap for your room dimensions of (24+24+15+15) *9 = 702 that comes to around 40 rs/sqft which is really good :clapping:. Also does this include fixing up of the screen as well?

In chennai when I enquired with a local carpenter I was quoted in excess of 150 per sqft as labour alone so had to drop the plan immediately.

Mind blowing setup, this is one hell of a theater... not a home theater. Congrats and have a great time, hope you get to watch your movies soon...

Thanks for the detailed breakup on the pricing.

Carpenter labour seems to be cheap for your room dimensions of (24+24+15+15) *9 = 702 that comes to around 40 rs/sqft which is really good :clapping:. Also does this include fixing up of the screen as well?

In chennai when I enquired with a local carpenter I was quoted in excess of 150 per sqft as labour alone so had to drop the plan immediately.

Yes the cost includes building the screen frame, fixing it on the wall, putting the screen material, and paneling the outer frame-area with plywood and applying felt cloth :).

As I told you guys before, my carpenters are a group of amazing human beings. They are not greedy at all and they love their work. They know their work and the attitude and commitment is extra ordinary. They did the interior work of my whole house before starting the HT room. So I know them very well. I got these carpenters through my interior designer.

I am definitely going to "tip" them extra after the work is over :). They deserve it. I am praising them so much because I had to interact with lots of in-efficient IDIOTS when I was constructing my house for various other work. The only thing they know is to cheat and loot money from you. Now suddenly when you see this kind of talent, dedication and most importantly attitude, I simply get amazed :). Very hard to find these kind of people in Bangalore. Again I also got an amazing electrician. He is another GEM :).

I am 100% sure that without my carpenters and electrician, I wouldn't have even dared to try this project DIY :).

-John.

Mind blowing setup, this is one hell of a theater... not a home theater. Congrats and have a great time, hope you get to watch your movies soon...

Sure dude. You guys are always welcome. BTW, my wife and mom is planning to open a ticket counter soon :D.

Your theater room was one of my inspiration as well. I closely followed your thread and got some very good inputs. Its a very well built room buddy. Would like to visit your home sometime.

Thanks,
John.

Indeed mind blowing.....:) but still 2L is big money... and then you bought your projector EPSON 8100 and your KEF speakers and Denon AVR and the recliners list goes on and on and on :p.
But end of the day, the Joy of DIY is priceless :)..
I visited ProFX today (MG road) and personally experienced KEF Q900,Polk RTi A5 and A7 there was another German brand, dont remember the name but anyways they will send me a quote soon. My Projector is almost finalised after seeing Epson 6100 Projector in their Demo room.
by the way, i have PMed you my contact details, we should catch up sometime ....

Indeed mind blowing.....:) but still 2L is big money... and then you bought your projector EPSON 8100 and your KEF speakers and Denon AVR and the recliners list goes on and on and on :p.
But end of the day, the Joy of DIY is priceless :)..
I visited ProFX today (MG road) and personally experienced KEF Q900,Polk RTi A5 and A7 there was another German brand, dont remember the name but anyways they will send me a quote soon. My Projector is almost finalised after seeing Epson 6100 Projector in their Demo room.
by the way, i have PMed you my contact details, we should catch up sometime ....

Sure dude. Let me just get this work finished. Another couple days. I will call you back and you must come in for an audition :).

Yes I blew quite some money on this. Again I have been saving from last 4 years for this ;). This was my one of my dreams and passion. I always wanted to do this DIY.

-John.

Update - 29-08-2013

1. False ceiling work completed
2. All panels, absorbers and bass traps are ready to be installed
3. Carpenters installed guide line wooden channels for installing panels, absorbers and bas traps.

I am hoping that the work will be done tomorrow :yahoo:

Work planned to complete tomorrow

1. Fix all the light fittings and motion sensors
2. Fix the screen material on the screen panel
3. Fix the panels, absorbers and bass traps
4. Thorough cleaning of the entire room :D

Some pictures

Thanks,
John.

Hello John !
Excellent HT building thread congrats for your detailed pictures and progress...
Expecting to see your finished HT soon..
Mine is also of the same size of yours, You should have gone for bigger screen then 140" its my opinion, for me in earlier days my screen size 13' x 6.75' was seemed to be very bigger and now after few months it seems to be smaller. Always big screen entertainment will be different.

Thank you,
Murali.

Hey Murali,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning for 150" screen initially. Then the screen people goofed up and they gave me a slightly smaller size material. So had to settle with 140" for now :(. I totally agree with you on the fact that a bigger screen is always better and what ever bigger size you go, you feel it becoming smaller with in no time :).

Taking inspiration from your HT room, my next project will be to build a curved 150" screen soon. The curved screen you have in your HT room looks AWESOME.

Thanks,
John.

Hello John,
Thank you, I forget the fact that you are going for 5 recliners i.e., two rows i think so, then your size of the screen would be ideal.
I also reduce the size of projection to a smaller size for dvd content (for Tamil DVD's)
since only very few tamil films are in BR.
For Hollywood movies i straight away go for full screen.

Thank You,
Murali.

Hello John,
Thank you, I forget the fact that you are going for 5 recliners i.e., two rows i think so, then your size of the screen would be ideal.
I also reduce the size of projection to a smaller size for dvd content (for Tamil DVD's)
since only very few tamil films are in BR.
For Hollywood movies i straight away go for full screen.

Thank You,
Murali.

Hi Murali,

I am planning to place all the 5 recliners in the same raw and then bean bags for the second raw.

I think the smaller screen size has come as a blessing in disguise :). Now that I got some extra 5" on either side of the screen from the wall, it will give my dedicated stereo speakers some additional breathing room from the left and right walls. The stereo speakers I am looking for now needs a lot of breathing space from either side of the wall and the front wall.

Thanks,
John.

Update - 03-Sep-2013

The build is complete and the room is ready with equipment in place. Projector is fixed and is calibrated.

Speakers needs to be calibrated for distance and sound level. Will use Audessey for just measuring the distance and setting the channel level. I will also use a SPL meter.

I have some interesting observations after doing all the acoustics and some surprising myth busters :). I will share them soon.

Here are some pictures. The quality of pictures is pretty bad as the room has very little light.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Thanks,
John.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back