Yet Another New HT setup opinion needed :)

ma5yk

Hello,

Some background first. I've recently moved to India and left my beloved NHT S series setup powered by a Marantz SR-8400 receiver back in the USA. The NHT speakers are very neutral sounding while the Marantz receiver was on the warm side. It all came together to a very clean and like-able sound that impressively captured every detail from a movie soundtrack. It helped that my source was the Denon 1930 DVD player.

Looking at the exhorbitant prices here for Home Theater setups my budget seems to be dictating my choices very strictly. :(

This is one of the setup I've been looking at.

Jamo 900 series + Onkyo 606 receiver.

Within the Jamo 900 series I am starting with the 905 center and then add the 904 + 903 and any decent 12" sub. (or two 309 subs??)

I plan to use this setup primarily for the weekend movie within a 20 ft x 16 ft room.

Here is where I need some opinions??

1. My choice for the 904 is simple. Avoid buying stands. Do the 902 deserve a place instead?
2. Should I consider the 906 for any reason?
3. How do the Onkyo partner with Jamo?

I've had no opportunity to audition the Jamo, but I've listened to the Wharfedale 9 series and the Evo 2. I instantly preferred the Evo 2 as it sounds leaps better than the 9. It doesn't help that 9 also has a very flabby low end.

4. How would the Onkyo partner with the Wharfedale Evo2?

I would rather like to setup a Monitor Audio Bronze or a B&W 68x series, but find no dealers or pricing in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.

Please feel free to thrown out any other suggestions.

Hi,

You can also consider Mordaunt Short avant 900i HT setup.
I am having the same coupled with pioneer AVR 1017 & its
performance is rocking. They are best VFM speakers set.

regards.

Hi,

First off welcome to India and to this beautiful forum !

Now coming to your query !

I'd any day recommend Evo2 I've heard them extensively and say without a doubt that they are excellent value for money !! pairing with Onkyo can be tricky one especially any model below 800 series ! so be very careful !

I'd suggest Yamaha 863 or 1700 as the competent alternative to the onkyo !

The preferred MA and B&W are too over priced for their performance ! so I don't want to comment much ! B&W especially in India is very notorious for the over pricing !!

Regards.

Hi,

First off welcome to India and to this beautiful forum !

Now coming to your query !

I'd any day recommend Evo2 I've heard them extensively and say without a doubt that they are excellent value for money !! pairing with Onkyo can be tricky one especially any model below 800 series ! so be very careful !

I'd suggest Yamaha 863 or 1700 as the competent alternative to the onkyo !

The preferred MA and B&W are too over priced for their performance ! so I don't want to comment much ! B&W especially in India is very notorious for the over pricing !!

Regards.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Your statement about the Onkyo 600 series just seems to confirm my too-good-to-be-true feeling about it's performance. Do you mean to say the Onkyo 606 will not perform as it's been hyped up to be?

Do you know how much the Yamaha 863 would run?

Best.

Hey! Why don't you try The onkyo 606 with the new tannoy mercury custom spk, i'm sure you'll like them.You can also try the klipsch spk range. Onkyo , Klipsch & Tannoy are being sold by the same dealer aka pavallion electronics.
All the best.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi yes thats excatly what I meant !! I've already said this a dozen times and will tell once again ! the entry level onkyo has lost its charm long time ago ! The newage entry level from the company is more of a showoff then the real stuff !!

The 863 should be within 50K ! please check the exact price as I recently heard they've jacked-up their prices by 20% or so ! so the latest Am not sure ! sorry for that :p!

Regards.

Hey! Why don't you try The onkyo 606 with the new tannoy mercury custom spk, i'm sure you'll like them.You can also try the klipsch spk range. Onkyo , Klipsch & Tannoy are being sold by the same dealer aka pavallion electronics.
All the best.
Cheers

But the Mercury F1 and the Mercury F1
Custom are two differert products.

So which is better?
Which got whathifi award?
What is difference?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back