Yet another speaker suggestion thread!!

But how do I get to the calculations for speakers and amplification part?

I expect you know this already, but on the off-chance that you don't: At reference levels, you need to be able to hit 105 dB peaks for all but the LFE channel (115 dB). Bass management will drive that peak requirement for subwoofers up, possibly 5 dB or thereabouts.

Yes, I'm considering sonodyne too and other options suggested by Prateek.

Cool. Pay attention to what Prateek says. He knows what he's talking about. Of course, if you don't mind running the risk of getting into more trouble than you ever wanted to/imagined, you're more than welcome to give me a call. Good luck!

Guys, I've been doing quite a bit of research to select loudspeakers for my HT project (on the forum and other sources as well) and prepared a list of 7 speaker lines so that I can audition them and decide on the final winner.

I have allocated 2.5L for speakers (subs and electronics excluded) with another 50-75k as buffer. This if for 3 floorstanders (identical LCR), 4 bookshelves and 4 in ceiling speakers for a 7.x.4 layout.

My planned room measurements are 20 x 12 x 8 feet. (Dropped a bit on the dimensions owing to existing structural design)

I'm primarily looking at these:

1. Arendal Sound (Need to check the prices if they fall with in my budget)

2. Paradigm Premier/Monitor

3. Dali Oberon

4. XTZ Spirit

5. Q Acoustics 3050i/concept 40

6. RBH R55

7. Mission QX/ZX

Please share your views on this list and kindly add if any other lines need to be considered.
Q acoustics 3050i a good speaker for HT. I am also planning to use them as front channel speakers.

I understand that. But in my opnion the 3050i are good enough to be a part of a dedicated HT as I am using them.

Have you experienced something which is a dedicated cinema speaker?
You need to compare and understand the technicals before you conclude on any speaker.

I'm sure 3050i is a good product but is neither meant for dedicated home theatres nor for high performance home cinema requirement.

Have you experienced something which is a dedicated cinema speaker?
You need to compare and understand the technicals before you conclude on any speaker.

I'm sure 3050i is a good product but is neither meant for dedicated home theatres nor for high performance home cinema requirement.
Then which one of that list is a high performance speaker for HT? The 3050i and the other speakers he mentioned were of similar price range. So the performance will be similar.

Don't know which is the 'other' speaker being compared with QA 3050i. But if it is Ascendo CCM10-P that Prateek mentioned, then there are lot of differences between the design philosophy used in 3050i and CCM10-P. Mainly the peak SPL capability and the power handling. There really is no comparison between the two. The other differences being CCM10-P is a point source coaxial and the 3050i looks like a typical MTM design. Both will have different directivities in horizontal/vertical planes and will have different presentation of sound in rooms (without even comparing frequency responses)

Don't know which is the 'other' speaker being compared with QA 3050i. But if it is Ascendo CCM10-P that Prateek mentioned, then there are lot of differences between the design philosophy used in 3050i and CCM10-P. Mainly the peak SPL capability and the power handling. There really is no comparison between the two. The other differences being CCM10-P is a point source coaxial and the 3050i looks like a typical MTM design. Both will have different directivities in horizontal/vertical planes and will have different presentation of sound in rooms (without even comparing frequency responses)
Horizontal and vertical or any direction..
The CCM10 - P will have same/similar directivity.

Yes it is. You may get 10-15% performance gain or drop within the same price range. You can not get day-night difference when price is similar specially for ht setup.
It's day night difference..

You must experience it to see the day night difference ..
I have experienced it.. the power difference is like riding a bicycle vs riding a Hayabusa. ;)

Last edited:
How much is the cost per speaker ? How do these compare with other pro grade such as QSC / JBL . I understand these are coaxial. apart from this , anything ?
Will be above 2L per piece if i am not wrong. Mine's a small room, and was considering the ccrmp5. India sticker price was 70K odd. The six inch model retails for 150K+...
And yes, they will compare favourably/equally with similar specced pro speakers.

Will be above 2L per piece if i am not wrong. Mine's a small room, and was considering the ccrmp5. India sticker price was 70K odd. The six inch model retails for 150K+...
And yes, they will compare favourably/equally with similar specced pro speakers.
QSC cinema is quiet cheaper- 45k range. when i enquired with QSC for their pro grade speakers for home installation .... enclosing their technical manager response ...

"Generally, there are two types of Home theater system, one is consumer-based system (mostly non acoustical environment) and the other professional based system (proper acoustical environment as per the cinema standards).

QSC’s Professional range cinema speakers are designed to work in an acoustic environment, where the cinema standard acoustical parameters are maintained (like NC 30 and RT60).

As you rightly said horn-based system can be too harsh for a home theater environment. Since our speakers are designed to install behind the screen, the horns are calibrated to handle the reflections and screen losses.

The Frequency response from the speakers is very important for a proper cinema experience, so our speaker can be little bulky for a home theater since those drivers have to handle those frequency responses so that the speakers can perform for longer hours without hurting your ears.

That’s being said, our system is also widely used in small room spaces such as postproduction studios (Sony, Disney, Netflix, Hollywood dub stage, etc) all over the world and dedicated luxury home theater with proper acoustical environment.

Consumer brands like Polk, KEF are designed and tuned to work in a non-acoustical environment, since the attached drawings show that the setup is going to be in the living room and it’s a non-acoustical environment, so we highly recommend you to proceed with your KEF/consumer based speakers plan. The subwoofers booming can be due to corner loading, so you can move the subwoofer location close to your center speaker. also, you can adjust LPF filters in the AV receivers for the sub output which may further reduce your booming."

Last edited:
QSC cinema is quiet cheaper- 45k range. when i enquired with QSC for their pro grade speakers for home installation .... enclosing their technical manager response ...

"Generally, there are two types of Home theater system, one is consumer-based system (mostly non acoustical environment) and the other professional based system (proper acoustical environment as per the cinema standards).

QSC’s Professional range cinema speakers are designed to work in an acoustic environment, where the cinema standard acoustical parameters are maintained (like NC 30 and RT60).

As you rightly said horn-based system can be too harsh for a home theater environment. Since our speakers are designed to install behind the screen, the horns are calibrated to handle the reflections and screen losses.

The Frequency response from the speakers is very important for a proper cinema experience, so our speaker can be little bulky for a home theater since those drivers have to handle those frequency responses so that the speakers can perform for longer hours without hurting your ears.

That’s being said, our system is also widely used in small room spaces such as postproduction studios (Sony, Disney, Netflix, Hollywood dub stage, etc) all over the world and dedicated luxury home theater with proper acoustical environment.

Consumer brands like Polk, KEF are designed and tuned to work in a non-acoustical environment, since the attached drawings show that the setup is going to be in the living room and it’s a non-acoustical environment, so we highly recommend you to proceed with your KEF/consumer based speakers plan. The subwoofers booming can be due to corner loading, so you can move the subwoofer location close to your center speaker. also, you can adjust LPF filters in the AV receivers for the sub output which may further reduce your booming."
That's a lovely response. Thanks for sharing.

The Ascendo linked above isn't a particularly good speaker in my view. To be honest I don't believe in "regular" coaxial systems, coaxial CDs yes, but conventional coax drivers? No. Horns are the way to go. But if one must look into coaxials I would suggest Tannoy or Fulcrum Acoustics.

The advent of larger coax CDs coupled with good horn design and good woofers which can reach 500-800Hz have rendered them obsolete. They don't sound bad but a good horn multiway system will sound better, go louder and stay loud for longer.

Edit : If the six inch model indeed sells for 150k + then it is highly over priced. Ascendo isn't a particularly good design house to begin with and perhaps pushed by some of the richer folks at AVS forum, in the same vein as Alcons. Neither being worth the money.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back