Your priority and order of choice parameters to consider before buying a TV

Donivlapog

Parameters possible
1) Brand name 2) Technology[OLED or QLED, LCD led, FALD LCD led, edge, 4k/8k/UHD, HDR+ Dolby vision Atmos, 3D, curved screen etc... etc...] 3) Screen size 4) Price 5) Features 6) model & year of manufacture

My choice is

Brand name > screen size > price > technology > model > features

For the reason it needs to be of good brand and bigger screens appeal to me more than technology but needs to be in my price range or something practical to consider*, then comes technology then model and year of manufacture finally I would consider additional features such as having a HDMI 2.1/eARC/better inbuilt speakers etc...

(*I won't shell out 6.5 lakhs for 12" of more OLED real estate opting for 77" but 65k more for 65" over 55" is in my range of logical consideration)

Please tell your order of choice and the reason why.

My choices go like this:
  1. Technology/PQ: For my personal use, nothing except an OLED would do. And even for someone who doesn't care a lot about quality, I won't spend my money on anything except a FALD VA. A non-FALD and non-OLED is an absolute no, even if it's perfect in every other way. I'm very, very sensitive to contrast and black levels and if a TV doesn't have that, it's an instant deal-breaker.
  2. VFM/price: Again, a bad value for money leaves a sour taste in the mouth that I 'wasted' my money. And this depends on the tech used. For a 65" OLED, 1.6-1.8 lakhs is what I consider good for example.
  3. Features: Here I include stuff like HDMI compatibility (2.1, eARC, VRR), decode compatibility (Dolby Vision/TrueHD/Atmos, DTS-HD/X...), number of ports, Bluetooth 5.0, OS and app support. These things matter a couple of years into ownership where you need it to work and regret that you didn't consider while buying.
  4. Screen size: Depends on the house really, but I shift every year or so and position my bean-bags/recliner accordingly. So not a big concern. I prefer 55" for the pixel density and fewer uniformity issues. I can sit closer and even old 720p/540p content I have looked okay at this size.
  5. Brand support: I've generally had awful experiences with brands you would expect amazing service from (Apple, LG) and amazing from even OnePlus. I believe with TVs most issues will come in the initial week of owning and for that I trust Amazon's replacement. So no real importance is given here.
  6. Model/year of manufacture: Why would you care about that? I don't even bother. The things that change year on year are actually already accounted for in PQ and feature sections above.
YMMV

Model/year of manufacture - for instance a C7 Vs a C10 or a 2018 model TV sold at a discount against a brand new 2020 TV model.

I generally go with the cheapest recommended option if I am buying it for first time and dont have much idea what should I look for in product. Once I use a product and know what features I want, then I generally dont care about price.

For TV, i would first buy a kodak/iffalcon first and then buy a TV from big 3.

I think size is the main driver as it changes the price range significantly. Need to finalize that first. Decided to go for 65 inch this time, mainly for Xbox Series X and so then HDMI 2.1 became a requirement. That limited the options. Earlier it used to be 55 inch and so the main criteria was PQ for movies. Once I added the 4K projector, then PQ remained important but some compromise became acceptable since the best I want is for movies.

I had set a budget of 1.5 lacs and I would not want to spend above that as I feel now a days any electronics one can expect only 3-4 years life, also I get the itch to replace !!

If I had to use one TV for all viewing then either LG CX or Sony A8H would have been the only selection criteria. I would not buy beyond the big 3 brands as I don't really want to trust the Chinese brands who don't even bring their latest TVs to our country.

So earlier - PQ > Brand > VFM > Technology > Year > Size
This time - Size > Technology > PQ > Brand > VFM > Year

Whatever you decide on, just remember that large sized TVs are imported, and we have banned them. In case of any trouble, be sure you are ready to wait for indefinite time. Not saying that every company behaves the same, but parts ... ouch! Moreover, companies harp on whatever term is hyped: OLED, QLED ... you never know what you are supplied, this is India, Boss. Many recent reviews emphasized that unless brightness is of 1000 nits, Dolby and other features seldom are noticeable ... companies now have suppressed these NITS values.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back