Zotac Pico - a $200 silent HTPC?

I don't know if this is relevant to you, Thad, but I too am a long time user of Firefox (since its beta days).

About a couple of years ago, something they did caused some serious memory leaks and massive memory bloat (no memory cleanup even when you close different tabs). To the extent that it made FF almost unusable and I started (reluctantly) using Chrome only for this reason.

However, as of (about) 6 months ago or maybe a year ago, they have largely solved this problem and I don't see memory leaks or slow bloat even with prolonged usage.

So, if you haven't already, please do try the latest version of Firefox.

Thanks, but then its a loose-loose situation for me. I've frozen my FF version at 27 because I don't want the useless interface changes and I don't want to rely on addins to make it look the way it was before.

I'm still using it, though. This whole thing only really becomes a problem when listening to music. But that's what we're talking about here :(.

Anyway, your information is important for those who don't have the UI hangups that I have :)

I don't know if this is relevant to you, Thad, but I too am a long time user of Firefox (since its beta days).

About a couple of years ago, something they did caused some serious memory leaks and massive memory bloat (no memory cleanup even when you close different tabs). To the extent that it made FF almost unusable and I started (reluctantly) using Chrome only for this reason.

However, as of (about) 6 months ago or maybe a year ago, they have largely solved this problem and I don't see memory leaks or slow bloat even with prolonged usage.

So, if you haven't already, please do try the latest version of Firefox.
I had major problems with FF bloat for a really long time too until one day I was reading about how FF and Chrome compare with respect to security and patching speed. Now I trust Chrome and prefer it. Don't care about FF anymore.

Hi Arun,
Only concern I have is - will this board be able to provide enough current if all 3 ports are loaded with USB devices. But I suppose I am complicating it too much. Assuming all devices are compliant and don't draw more than .5A they should be okay. In any case, any device that wants to draw more current shouldn't use USB bus as power source.

Finally there is one device that has the potential to outgun RPi and other similar devices by a big margin.

For audiophile applications I keep my USB free from load so I can power my ARM based PC with a lithium battery power bank that supplies 2amps from a USB port. I got a short USB to DC cable for this for 50 bucks. A very good improvement in SQ compared to using a wallwart PSU.

Been waiting for a zotac with 2.5 HDD slot to arrive in the local market. I need to create my own portable WiFi HDD to transfer gopro videos from microsd card to a 1 TB HDD using my tablet, running openwrt and encrypted filesystem over cifs/samba or even NFS to confuse a casual snooper.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back