Zotac Pico - a $200 silent HTPC?

asliarun

Zotac just announced a new model - the Pico. Unlike most of their other models like Nano etc, this one comes fully built up with an Atom quad core processor, 2GB RAM.

It is also completely silent (fanless), is about as big as a pack of cards or a cellphone, comes with 32GB SSD (upgradable to 128GB via microSDXC), and even comes with Windows 8.1 Bing preinstalled.

The absolutely stunner is the price - this little baby costs $200 (and releases next month).

I was completely intrigued by this device. It could be the perfect audio server or even HTPC... okay, maybe a light-weight HTPC considering the storage limitation. However, that can be easily expanded via an SDXC card and it does offer 3 USB ports. It also has an HDMI out, and the current gen Atom quadcore should be able to render 1080p reasonably well.

I've always been interested by devices like these, and I think it is the wave of the future. I also have an ARM/Android equivalent - the Minix Neo X5 - and it is brilliant at what it does - but the platform is still hamstrung by lack of driver and software support - something x86 still excels in. For example, there is still no Squeezebox Server port to Android.

But this little baby is a fullblown x86 desktop with hardly any limitations/tradeoffs, is completely silent, powerful enough to do 1080p (i think), comes with Windows preinstalled, and costs a measly $200! One would find it incredibly hard to hand assemble an absolute budget end HTPC or audio server at this price point.

Edit: Found some more details about the CPU and GPU's capabilities. It does indeed support 1080p (also supports 1440p), DirectX11, and is basically a cut-down version of Intel HD graphics found on the Core series (same capabilities, lesser execution units). It has full hardware acceleration for H264. CPU performance is equal and mostly better than AMD A4 Kabini (especially multi-threaded performance) - although Kabini's GPU performance is significantly better.

This is obviously not a gaming machine and it would be ridiculous to expect that from this small a device - although it would still play simple or older games reasonably well. However, it is still a quad core processor with hardware support for 1080p - and I don't think it should have issues with either audio or video (caveat: not sure about high end HTPC features).

Last edited:
If launched I am quiet certain prices will be very similar to US prices

If you check out PC component prices in US, they are quiet similar to prices here in India if there is no deal going on

Infact also mobiles, prices are almost same if phone is purchased without contract in US

Here are the dealers of Zotac products in India. A lot of new products are nowadays releasing in India/China first, then to the rest of the world. Perhaps there's hope?

Flipkart.com
No. 447/B, 1st A Cross, 12th Main, 4th Block, Opp. BSNL Telephone Exchange, Koramangala,
Bangalore 560034
India
India (English)
Phone:
91 1800 425 3547

Online Shopping India - Shop Online for Books, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Watches & More at Flipkart.com
M D COMPUTERS PVT.LTD M D COMPUTERS PVT.LTD
16/1,Ganesh Chandra Avenue.
KOLKATA 700013
India
India (English)
Phone:
033-22346274 / 9836744487

mdcomputer.in - mdcomputer Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
Snapdeal.com Snapdeal.com
India
India (English)
Phone:
24x7 customer care : 011 45371100

help(at)snapdeal.com
www.snapdeal.com
TechShop.in TechShop.in
Polytela e-Commerce PVT. LTD. 25, Gaurav Industrial Estate, Bail Bazaar Kurla (W)
Mumbai 400070
India
India (English)
Phone:
91 09323699901

TechShop.in - Buy Tech Online Now!!!
The IT Wares The IT Wares
Mumbai 400055
India
India (English)
Phone:
91 098 20972852

sales(at)theitwares.com
TheITWares

Fantastic! Things are only getting interesting.

The only item remaining from a budding audiophile's wishlist: Digital audio out! Without that it's essentially a tablet sans display.

Had it have a combined optical out it could just become a great little transport out of the box.

Fantastic! Things are only getting interesting.

The only item remaining from a budding audiophile's wishlist: Digital audio out! Without that it's essentially a tablet sans display.

Had it have a combined optical out it could just become a great little transport out of the box.

Hi Ranjeet,

I was thinking exactly that.

Could we use one of the USB ports as USB out though - to feed it to a DAC? Considering this is x86 and full blown Windows 8.1, driver support should not be a big hassle, I think. But I have never done this myself, so don't know too much about it.

Hi Arun,

Well, why not? It's raring to go out of the box. There is absolutely no reason why a USB DAC should not be able to work with this. It's x86 and it's Windoze. What else could you ask for?

Only concern I have is - will this board be able to provide enough current if all 3 ports are loaded with USB devices. But I suppose I am complicating it too much. Assuming all devices are compliant and don't draw more than .5A they should be okay. In any case, any device that wants to draw more current shouldn't use USB bus as power source.

Finally there is one device that has the potential to outgun RPi and other similar devices by a big margin.

If launched I am quiet certain prices will be very similar to US prices

Again, wish what you are saying is true. was looking forward to buy the Asus Chromebox - M004U which retails under $179 in US and cost around 28K INR here in India, same with so many other small factor PCs. May be i'm not looking in the right places to buy here in India.

Well, why not? It's raring to go out of the box. There is absolutely no reason why a USB DAC should not be able to work with this. It's x86 and it's Windoze. What else could you ask for?
The same thing without Windows :lol:

But, as the reviewer says (Link above),
One might expect a system like this to have Android pre-installed, but it actually runs Windows 8.1 with Bing. This edition is a full-fat version of the OS with Microsoft's search engine selected as the default. Users are free to switch search providers, and they can presumably ditch Windows entirely and install the OS of their choice.

and

Awww, isn't it cute?

Understatement of the year! What a great little box :eek:hyeah:

Also consider the fact that 256GB pen drives now cost as little as $114 or $129. We're now talking about serious levels of storage. And I start wishing this little computer could do USB 3.0. And SDXC cards are $70 for 128GB. Of course, one could attach an external hard drive too. But I still find it amazing how cheap flash based storage has become. 256GB is what one would equip a decently specced laptop (hard drive) with, for example.

Wow, it looks like the x86 based mini-PC (fanless and otherwise) is really exploding.

Besides the Zotac Pico, I had posted about ECS Liva in another thread, which is a $180 option that requires a little bit of assembly. It trades the CPU for a slightly weaker dual core option, but you get gigabit ethernet and more importantly, you get a USB3 port.

Now, I find out that Minix, which makes $100-$150 mini-PCs based on ARM Rokchip/Android, is also getting into the x86 act. I also own their Minix Neo X5 - which is a very very good option for the price. They are planning to release the Minix NEO Z64, an x86 version with the exact same specs as the Zotac Pico - 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC storage, SD card and multiple USB slots for expansion and for USB audio out.

The best part is the price: $130.
This is a revolutionary price indeed, for it is actually the same price as their ARM/Android alternatives! At $130, it is in fact cheaper than their top end ARM model. In fact, it is ridiculous to think that you are now getting a fully built up x86 based PC that will run Linux (and/or will probably even ship with Windows 8.1 Bing built in) at this price point.

Note that Windows 8.1 Bing is a full featured version of Windows that Microsoft is offering for zero license fee to manufacturers. They are only asking that manufacturers keep the default search engine Bing. However, users are free to change it to the search engine of their choice. Which of course should be DuckDuckGo :)

The only thing is - I don't think this particular model will ship with Windows 8.1 Bing, and I am not sure if MSFT is going to make it available to everyone (i think not). Nonetheless, there are tons of Linux options especially with this being an x86 platform.

Note that Windows 8.1 Bing is a full featured version of Windows that Microsoft is offering for zero license fee to manufacturers. They are only asking that manufacturers keep the default search engine Bing.

Hah hah, the EC (Europe) will have something to say about that! Eventually.

Actually 2 gigs is pretty sufficient for the kind of purpose it is meant for. Light browsing, Waching movie, Listening to music. These little boxes are not meant to be a replacement for day-to-day work computers. Rather a tuck away/hide away computing horse power for the household, for which 2 GB is pretty decent.

Yeah, I guess 2 Gigs should be OK. For more, there's always the VM for it to fall back on. And disabling Prefetch or whatever they call it these days should free up more.

Yeah, I guess 2 Gigs should be OK. For more, there's always the VM for it to fall back on. And disabling Prefetch or whatever they call it these days should free up more.

Hi Keith

I have found latest windows 8.1 to be actually faster then win 7 64 bit in boot ups, shutdowns, loading of big applications like photoshop and copying files from usb to HDD and HDD to HDD

I am not a techie but i believe in 8.1 file and disk managment must have improved so it makes it faster to read and write

Also as windows 8 is used for PCs, mobiles and tablets it would have been made lighter

Lastly, i saw a video comparision where SSD was compared with 7200 rpm normal hdds. OS used was windows 8.1

Boot time and app loading time was compared

It was surprising that normal hdds performed faster then when it was used with win 7

Still SSD's were overall faster but not by much

Hi Keith

I have found latest windows 8.1 to be actually faster then win 7 64 bit in boot ups, shutdowns, loading of big applications like photoshop and copying files from usb to HDD and HDD to HDD

I am not a techie but i believe in 8.1 file and disk managment must have improved so it makes it faster to read and write

Also as windows 8 is used for PCs, mobiles and tablets it would have been made lighter

Lastly, i saw a video comparision where SSD was compared with 7200 rpm normal hdds. OS used was windows 8.1

Boot time and app loading time was compared

It was surprising that normal hdds performed faster then when it was used with win 7

Still SSD's were overall faster but not by much
I would expect that for regular File ops [boot up also would involve a lot of this], SSD's would be upto 30-40% faster. I think I saw comparisons done [admittedly some time ago] too and in all cases, SSD's outperformed magnetic discs.

I would expect that for regular File ops [boot up also would involve a lot of this], SSD's would be upto 30-40% faster. I think I saw comparisons done [admittedly some time ago] too and in all cases, SSD's outperformed magnetic discs.

In win7 ssds were surely 30 to 40 percent faster
But in win 8 specially in boot times magentic drives are almost neck to neck with ssds.
Ssd disk was just 1 or 2 seconds faster

Sony vegas loaded in almost half the time with ssd comparing magnetic drives, still with win 8 magnetic drives improved in some aspects.

Actually 2 gigs is pretty sufficient for the kind of purpose it is meant for. Light browsing ...

The application that grinds my 4Mb Linux system into the ground is ...Firefox!

Most of us probably started with FF largely because it was not IE, and it's been my choice of browser for a very long time now, which makes it tough to change. I downloaded Midori last week...

So, if someone wants to include internet access on such a small device, MS or Linux environment, what is the recommendation for a browser that does not eat up a substantial amount of that ram?

Thad, I don't change my browser every couple months, so I am not most up-to-date on new browser scene. But I find FireFox an incredible browser even today. I prefer it over all the mainstream browsers at least. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari. Memory utilization is great and security is better than all the above proprietary developed browsers. Everytime there in an IE update, I try it. Tried Chrome when the hype was all over. No go. I came back to FF each time.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back