Owner/Expert view on Samy 51e8000

Here Only Movies OK is SD Channel and rest all pics from HD Channel.

The difference in Picture quality is considerable between HD and SD.
Also would like to tell you check the signal Quality of your STB for AirTel it should be above 70 as it has feel able difference on SD channel with 51inch TV.

Attachments

• 27102012667-HD.jpg
    27102012667-HD.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 27102012669-SD.jpg
    27102012669-SD.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 27102012672-HD.jpg
    27102012672-HD.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 27102012679-HD.jpg
    27102012679-HD.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Hey, I have started watching tv though not full pledge because of busy schedule. However initial impression is too good. I am satisfied with what I got and FHD/3D is amazing.
I have also got videocon HD d2h. This tv also doing justice to SD channels which was not case when were demoing other 51" FHD tvs so mom is happy.

I have tried to take photos but my iPhone is not doing justice and I need to search charger/digi cam for better photos.

Seems many good things/deals are going around for this tv. It's worth considering 51" with 8 series from Samsung. It's really VFM for best tv from Samsung stable.

I am happy that I got one of our forum fellow member Sam from hyderabad convince and get this tv instead of e550 which we were thinking to go for long time.

Please keep sharing your experience and technicalities which would be helpful for all.

Thanks, Pralhad.

Here Only Movies OK is SD Channel and rest all pics from HD Channel.

The difference in Picture quality is considerable between HD and SD.
Also would like to tell you check the signal Quality of your STB for AirTel it should be above 70 as it has feel able difference on SD channel with 51inch TV.

The PQ definitely looks good but with the light coming from the left side a bit dull. Thats why i want to get an LED instead of Plasma. I don't want to worry about dimming the lights just to watch regular TV.

The PQ definitely looks good but with the light coming from the left side a bit dull. Thats why i want to get an LED instead of Plasma. I don't want to worry about dimming the lights just to watch regular TV.

You are right If the light is too high then Plasma is not great option.
In my hall I have Terrace on the side of the TV and a big opening window in front of the TV. Now for plasma (from old CRT) I need to use curtains for the Window.

Calibrate it properly with proper settings and the tv will give you great light output and pq. At the beginning to adhere to low power standards the settings will be in standard mode. You need to put it to movie mode and then get expert calibrated settings ( You will get plenty on the net) and then calibrate it. Then only you can get the best out of these kinds of plasmas !!!

Calibrate it properly with proper settings and the tv will give you great light output and pq. At the beginning to adhere to low power standards the settings will be in standard mode. You need to put it to movie mode and then get expert calibrated settings ( You will get plenty on the net) and then calibrate it. Then only you can get the best out of these kinds of plasmas !!!

I agree led can't match PQ of plasma when calibrated. But I doubt Josh will get better brightness in the pics he posted even after calibration.

David katzmaier of CNET has created this calibrated setting for E8000 plasma

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 41, Green 2, Blue 2
Green: Red 13, Green 53, Blue 0
Blue: Red 1, Green 2, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 12, Green 56, Blue 52
Magenta: Red 41, Green 5, Blue 48

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 27
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 27
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -3
Interval 2: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +4
Interval 6: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +4
Interval 7: Red +2, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +5
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +5
Interval 10: Red +3, Green 0, Blue +8

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Cinema Smooth

source : http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-561058/samsung-pn60e8000-picture-settings/

Josh! can you post pics of your TV playing a Bluray/or HD channel in complete darkness ? That will truly show off the capabilities of the TV :)

Josh! can you post pics of your TV playing a Bluray/or HD channel in complete darkness ? That will truly show off the capabilities of the TV :)
And take pictures at full resolution, maximizing the TV frame to occupy the whole width of the picture. Upload the picture on picture hosting sites such as ImageShack, Picasa, etc. and post the pict with

And if you can a pic in same style as just4kix mentioned but using those calibrates settings and under lighting conditions as your first pics. Thanks.

And take pictures at full resolution, maximizing the TV frame to occupy the whole width of the picture. Upload the picture on picture hosting sites such as ImageShack, Picasa, etc. and post the pict with tags.[/QUOTE]

First Sorry for late reply.

Yes Now I have seen all the settings in the TV.
The Pics I have posted were taken during Day Time Light.
The TV Setting was Standard i.e. lowest brightness available amongst the preset.
For example : As told by Madhav the cali settings says Cell light : 20/20 where in standard I have kept just 6/20. and the Contrast : 95/100 where as the TV was at 45/100.

Hence For sure there is hell lot of difference.
Kindly allow us a little more time i.e. max weekend. I will post the Correct pics as told by Just4klix.

Yes : I will also post the pics during day lights for better comparison and will take the pic of the house to know you better for the natural light source in my home.

Last edited:
First Sorry for late reply.

Yes Now I have seen all the settings in the TV.
The Pics I have posted were Take during Day Time Light.
The TV Setting was Standard i.e. lowest brightness available amongst the preset.
For example : As told by Madhav the cali settings says Cell light : 20/20 where in standard I have kept just 6/20. and the Contrast : 95/100 where as the TV was at 45/100.

Hence For sure there is hell lot of difference.
Kindly allow us a little more time i.e. max weekend. I will post the Correct pics as told by Just4klix.

Yes : I will also post the pics during day lights for better comparison and will take the pic of the house to know you better for the natural light source in my home.

Use the complete settings i have posted and then you will see tremendous difference and the picture quality of the E8000 is one of the best in the world( bettered only by pioneer kuro, sharp elite and VT50)

Use the complete settings i have posted and then you will see tremendous difference and the picture quality of the E8000 is one of the best in the world( bettered only by pioneer kuro, sharp elite and VT50)

Yes Madhav,
I will do this today night and will let you know.
Josh!

Hello Madhav,

I have done the settings and currently checked with AirTel STB only as yet to get the BDP.

My Review is:

This has exceptional changes than my previous Preset settings named STANDARD.
It is little yellow+red shade with more natural looks.
The direction of the source of light kept during shooting a particular shot is clearly visible.
This setting is a perfect MOVIE settings hence felt exceptional for HD movies channel.
The HD NGC & Discovery also looking excellent with this setting and now it has a clear feel of Natural.
I have recorded the Movie I am No.4 on movies NOW and on Saturday Night I will post very comparative pictures in day and night timings.
Just for example : In the morning My mom has switched on the TV set and then she told me See now it looks very clear and good I replied ohoo yes ;-)

Last edited:
Yes I do feel that the Calibration settings we should not use during initial break in period. But this gets stored in the preset Name MOVIE and then normally you can switch to other preset may named STANDARD.

Anyway I must have done 70hrs+ as I am running Break-In slide show for 2-3hrs in the night.

The Samsung 51E8000 is one powerful device and gives out impressive pictures from most sources. I got it for our living room last week as dad watches sports on Airtel HD and mom regular TV serials. Occasionally some movies, as we use my HT for that. I must say i was pretty impressed with the GT50,ST50 and the E8000. Dad was influenced by the tab2 and the extra 1inch on the Samsung. Moreover there was some doubts aboiut Panny service in chennai , few friends complained about the service being lousy.:) . Thus the deal was struck and we made the purchase.

After almost a week of viewing i am quite happy with the purchase. Out of the 4 pairs of 3D glasses given 1 did not work and samsung replaced it promptly. The movie mode is best suited as i found the standard very bright. I have calibrated it to my requirement and find it excellent under regular lighting. I really dont care much for 3D and will not be using that feature much but the kids may watch a few of the 3D blu rays.

The 51E8000 is an excellent TV and the SMART TV internet works well if u wanna use it. Personally i prefer using my DELL 17inch for all internet related work. But i prefer the quality of the Epson projector anytime to watch movies on my 166 inch sized screen! :)

i have got just the 1 year standard warranty. They did not offer an extended warranty for the plasma. Think you get it only if you go through the finance option,which i did not.Since Samsung is one of the leaders in plasma tech i thought this shouldnt be a problem unless i get a lemon..:) . We had a regular CRT Samsung TV and even after 10 plus years its going great guns. Had to give it to a cousin who is still using it happily! So my dad had no issues. He said Sony 46 HX850 or the Samsung 51E8000. Once he saw the sheer size and pic quality of the Samsung, it was a no brainer. The extras sweetened the deal.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back