1. Suggestions for better sound 2. Voltage fluctuations/stabilization

hcs

All,

I am finally getting some time to play around with some audio gear I purchased quite some time back. Specifically, Klipsch F-2 floor-standers, NAD amp & CD player, Onkyo HT and JVC multi-component system. When I bought the Klipsch speakers (in Pune, more than a year back), I really liked the sound, not sure what amp they were connected to back then (either rotel or marantz, not sure which). But when I hooked them up with NAD, they just seemed loud and bright with unsatisfactory bass response. We just moved in to a new place and the room acoustics could definitely be better (not much upholstery and stuff yet) but I was still a bit surprised at the sound quality. One other thing is that this set up was sparingly used for a couple of days and then they were packed up and were lying unused for a year or more.

Upon checking on the net, it seemed like there were quite a few folks talking about how loud and bright the F-2's were..but it was hard to say if what I am seeing in my set up is a speaker issue, or an amp issue or the room acoustics issue. Anyone else with F-2s? Do you think NAD should go well with it? Any suggestions for placement, improving room acoustics? Any good experience with biwiring?

Also, it seems like in Bangalore people seem to use voltage stabilizers a lot. I have never used them so far in any of the other places that I have lived in. If I look at just the audio system comprising the NADs, F-2s and maybe one other component, what kind of a stabilizer would you recommend? Would using a good quality spike buster do the job? I am just interested in seeing that the equipment does not get damaged..having them work through fluctuations is a secondary requirement; don't mind switching them on again. However, if there is an affordable solution that protects against voltage fluctuations *and* provides continuity of operation, i'd definitely be interested.

Thanks all,
-hcs.

Ill let the experts help you out in detail but you mentioned that the speakers were only used for a few hours. They will take anything from 50 - 100 hrs of breakin time. So I'd suggest to try and play them continuously for sometime and see if they sound any better. The cables you use also would affect the sound.

thanks Deepak.

i did allow for the speaker break-in - keeping it on overnight at low vol a couple of times and using them over the last two weekends for a couple of hours at a stretch. i think i am using reasonably good quality cables - heavy monster cables (at least guage 14 if i remember right).

the amp is NAD C 325BEE btw. room size is 13'x13.5'.

is the amp/speaker pairing thing more of a 2nd order effect? or can it be really much more critical in defining the overall sound quality? i have read about tubes going well with F-2s but have no details.

i was hoping that a good amp (325BEE) and a good set of speakers (Klipsch) would make for a decent stereo system. CDP is NAD C 525BEE. i am still keeping my fingers crossed though as i make some changes in the room for acoustics. will also play around with other cables. beyond that, i really have no other ideas (short of doing some replacements - not something that i am
looking fwd to).

anyone else out there with this combo?

btw, the voltage fluctuation issue has already claimed a washing machine and a worldspace radio. i can't believe BLR is this way!!!

-hcs.

seems like one big factor was the speaker placement (the room is almost a square). so with better placement the quality is definitely better (better sound stage, better resolution etc.) - although i couldn't go the whole hog given that the speakers would really have been in the middle of the room if i were to go by some popular empirical rules. the coolest thing is to realize that it is a good setup, great sound! perhaps not too surprisingly, this has also taken care of the fatigue issue. earlier it was bright and loud and a bit jarring on the ears. now it is rich, deep, 'spread out' and warm with good resolution and i can listen for hours. sweet.

next, i want to experiment with some bass traps..not sure how much it will buy me..but at least the corners and primary reflection areas and the rear wall etc.

for the voltage issue, finally settled on v-guard and running a powerstrip down stream of it. should take care of the fluctuation issue but the repeated power cycles would definitely be irksome...perhaps i should invest in a UPS as well. one that just about tides me over to the time the backup DGs kick in. that's just like under 10 seconds or so.

there's a ton of really good stuff on here - a real treasure trove. all with folks all too ready to part with some good advice. awesome! found out an indian DIY site as well...this week has been good :)

-hcs.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back