10 best cds any audiophile shud posses/Your favourites

chandruybl

Hey Gang,

would like to have recommendations on the best imported cds any audiophile should posses, the genre can be anything from the best male vocal, female vocal, the best of guitar,piano,pop,jazz etc. etc.

Cheers

Chandru:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Hey Gang,

would like to have recommendations on the best imported cds any audiophile should posses, the genre can be anything from the best male vocal, female vocal, the best of guitar,piano,pop,jazz etc. etc.

Cheers

Chandru:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Hi There;

I shall Try :-

Male Vocal
Seal
Chris Rea
Dire Straits

Female Vocal
Diana Krall
Janis Ian
Tracy Chapman
Rebecca Pigeon
Eva Cassidy

Western Classical
Tutti

Indian Classical
Meeting by the River - Waterlily Acoustics
Madar - ECM

POP
Madonna
M Jackson

Jazz
Venus Records - Japan [This is not my preferred genre - so cannot suggest much]

There are lots of suggestions - Just depends what all you like.
Musical Preferences are very important.

DMB's crash, U2's The joshua tree (Remastered), Diana Krall's From This Moment On (Isn't this a lovely day is nice). Enigma's The screen behind the mirror (eu edition sounds good). The very best of 1990-1997 Dr.Alban (eu edition).

I recently discovered Katie Noonan. What a voice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lnPpAnvDbs&index=1&list=PL2F29FE2D2C759185

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkE9GB7JuU&index=3&list=PL2F29FE2D2C759185

On the rock front:

Opeth - Damnation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEaf9LqIUZQ&list=PLINesDgSwsOrAdXZvU4SsrF9ONha35O-P

A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVe
(A Perfect Circle and Tool are both very layered and well recorded. The latter is more in the genre of metal though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7HKwqNYmQ&list=PL488D0E953E0E9FE6

Most Radiohead albums are recorded well too.

Post rock is an interesting way to listen to one's system (and enjoy the music too, of course :p). It is an intersection of rock and classical (in a way). Most albums are recorded well, especially since the focus is on creating the right mood and tonality.

Most albums by:

God Is An Astronaut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34C41eEpM48

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8kgu6rf0Ek

Explosions In The Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTw-CwypKdk&list=RDxTw-CwypKdk

my fav CDs :eek:hyeah:

MONTSERRAT CABALLE - FRIENDS FOR LIFE

TINA TURNER - FOREIGN AFFAIR

PHIL COLLINS - BUT SERIOUSLY

RICHARD MARX - FLESH AND BONE

USA FOR AFRICA - WE ARE THE WORLD

GREGORY ABBOTT- SUPER HITS

STEVIE NICKS - ROCK A LITTLE

MADONNA - BEDTIME STORIES

PET SHOP BOYS - VERY

PAT BENATAR - BEST SHOTS

--------------------------------

my fav LPs

SMOKEY ROBINSON - ONE HEARTBEAT

QUINCY JONES - "THE DUDE"

JULIO IGLESIAS - 1100 BEL AIR PLACE

OLETA ADAMS - CIRCLE OF ONE

BILLY OCEAN - LOVE ZONE

LOBO- CARIBBEAN DISCO SHOW

BRENDA RUSSELL - GET HERE

STACEY Q - BETTER THAN HEAVEN

BACCARA - COLOURS

GLENN MEDEIROS - NOT ME

Last edited:
DIRE STRAITS - Brothers In Arms
PINK FLOYD - The Wall; Final Cut; Dark Side of The Moon
QUEENSRYCHE - Empire
JETHRO TULL - Aqualung (40th Anniversary Edition)
OPETH - Damnation
DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head (Audio Fidelity Gold Edition)
RUSH - Moving Pictures(Audio Fidelity Gold Edition)
AC/DC - Back In Black
REM - Automatic for the people
NIRVANA - Unplugged
THE WHO - Who's Next

Guys,
I believe this thread will be more useful if we could give suggestions/opinions from across different genres.

@OP: are you interested in well recorded/mastered albums (in the audiophile sense of the word), or are you looking for suggestions for good music? I know these may overlap, but I'm asking because there are albums which are well known for their good sonics, but not so much for musical content (and vice versa).

Guys,
I believe this thread will be more useful if we could give suggestions/opinions from across different genres.

@OP: are you interested in well recorded/mastered albums (in the audiophile sense of the word), or are you looking for suggestions for good music? I know these may overlap, but I'm asking because there are albums which are well known for their good sonics, but not so much for musical content (and vice versa).

I posted albums known for great sonics/mastering...if it was for favorite albums, I would list down Iron Maiden's entire discography :yahoo:

Guys,

Yeah,,I am looking at well recorded albums with good musical content..

Some I have heard some I have not. Totally Subjective list.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Steely Dan - Aja
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Dire Straits - Love over gold
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Neil Young - Harvest Moon
Cream - Disraeli Gears

Some Indian Classicals from Alurkar (Pune) and very early 'T-Series' (Immortal series if I remember) albums are good.

For Hindi Film Music Made in England CDs are preferred but out of some I have heard, only Kishore Kumar compilation stand out. That too some songs are not good. But see if you like them.

Some EMI recordings of western classicals are good. I have couple of them. Great recordings of century. Example

However my personal belief is to chaff out any bias in evaluating recording quality by avoiding Popular/often heard albums. Since I rarely listen to modern music which were recorded/mastered on analogue machines one can look for grittyness/grainyness (lack of better word:eek:) in high fq. region. some Digital recordings don't sound good in that region. Also look for clipping and sibilence. Some songs on George Michael hits double album has sibilence.

Regards.

Here are my favourite audiophile collections

Jheena Lodwick - Feeling
Eva Cassidy - Songbird compilation album
Patricia barber - Night club
Dire starits - Brothers in arms
Frankie goes to hollywood - Welcome to the pleasuredome
Dr. L. Subramaniam with Stephane Grappelli - Conversations
Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass - Passages
Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt - A Meeting by the River
Zakir Hussain - Making Music
Vishwa Mohan Bhatt & Jerry Douglas & Edgar Meyer - Bourbon & Rosewater

and some songs from the best artists/bands viz.
Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Fleetwood Mac, The police, Kraftwerk, Phil Collins, Duran Duran, Ultravox etc.

If one wants a great experience in audio listening you may want to have this album.

"Bowers & Wilkins - Very Audiophile New Recordings"

All of the recordings are mind blowing. Especially two tracks namely... "Allan Taylor - Colour to the Moon" & "Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone" will blow you away.
"Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone", has a very good bass line and is a very good candidate for testing one's sub. You will surely have ground shaking bass and ratting windows.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back