10 Biggest Lies in Audio

Here we go...

In the article quoted in my previous post, it is pretty evident that a simple fiber optic cable is enough to disprove Einstein's relativity theory. Do I need to say more?

Sorry for this but I want to set things right after reading your "On the HFV forum at least, we should stop being tolerant towards anyone who uses the "if our ears hear a difference, then a difference is there, and will be proved when Science is sufficiently advanced to measure it" argument". To put it mildly, it smacks of impertinence.

cheers.
murali

Murali,
Thanks for the detailed reply. From my perspective, each of your points is made with the same underlying argument: Human emotional or sensory response to a device, event, experience, cannot be measured "scientifically". And my response to that is, currently no, it cannot. But taking that even further, why should a device designer care about this beyond a point?

My statement was not about whether, given that two devices (say amplifiers) measure the same in all relevant parameter spaces, that you prefer one and I prefer another. That is exactly where the "taste" of a person comes in, and everyone has a right to their own taste/choice/preference, based on their mental make-up, culture, experiences, and finances. In no post of mine have I ever said that one should buy a device based on only measurements. And the reasons are something we all know: individual tastes, room acoustics, synergy with the rest of the audio chain, et al.

What I am saying is that audiophiles should climb down from their self-made, exalted perch, and stop thinking that audio devices are the most exquisite, delicate, and resolving things in the world. And that only audiophiles can make out subtle nuances in the output of their engineered device, that no other discipline/area of today's society can.

The biggest indication of that non-scientific, irrational mindset is when we start giving emotional reasons as scientific answers for observed phenomena. It has been shown multiple times that the human sensory system is extremely temperamental, subject to inherent biases, and based strongly on emotion rather than rationality in many cases. That does not give us a valid reason to base every argument on "my senses say so, hence it is true". What is more accurate is: "My senses say so, and hence I prefer it." If one said that, I will have no argument with that statement. What really boggles my mind is the former sentence, along with an assertion "My senses are so sensitive that most equipment cannot measure what I feel". But as an engineer, one doesn't really want to measure what you "feel". One creates devices based on a notion of what is standard and scientific. And the standards come from what is measurable, provable, and repeatable.

And our senses are notorious at deceiving us. We all have seen the visual trickery of making parallel lines seem non-parallel when placed in a certain way: Wolfram Demonstrations Project

Now, if one were to assert: "My eyes tell me these lines are non-parallel. I don't need measurements to assert this. These lines are non-parallel because I see them as such." What would you say to such a person? I would tell them that they are non-scientific, non-rational, and closed. Because they trust their senses more than a geometric proof of the parallelness of lines. If the whole world thought like this, we would have no technological progress, no advancement. Our senses are not our friends when it comes to understanding the physical workings of our world. They are our best friends when it comes to experiencing and living in the world around us, to our emotions, love, empathy. But let's not confuse emotions for rational reasons.

Even if two devices, say cars, are identical in every measurable respect engineering-wise, I will never ask someone to pick one based on a side-by-side comparison with numbers alone. Because how the car looks, feels (to that person), and touches that person on an emotional level cannot (and need not) be measured. However, if that person asserts that one car is lighter than the other, because he can feel the difference when driving both, and if both cars have been weighed accurately and are the same weight, then I will take strong objection to his statement. This analogy can be extended to Rs 1 Lakh cables, Shakti stones, resonance dampers etc. in our audio world as well. I have never seen a Shakti stone being strapped on a car bonnet, for example, to "dampen the vibrations" in the chassis. It is ridiculous and if you attempted it, all your rational friends would laugh at you. However, most people don't frown when these things are proudly displayed perched on top of expensive audio equipment. This is the mindset that I am against when I made the statement about not being tolerant towards people who use what their senses tell them as proof of reality.

As far as the CERN experiment goes, it proves my point even more: Scientists did not blindly trust only the measurements because their training, rational understanding of the derivation of the theory, and experience told them something must be wrong. And they measured not in one or two blind tests, but over 4 years. And now they are willing to ACCEPT an error was made, and RERUN the experiment. This is rationality and scientific honesty. Not emotions.

And this is another thing with audiophile forums in general: People give examples of an extreme nature, going to Quantum mechanics in certain places, to justify the possibility of some small effect being present. As an engineer, one always looks at the global effect of phenomena: "Is it scientifically possible? Maybe. Ok, if so, will it affect my system in a quantifiable, measurable way and impact the end user? No? Then it is not something that I will worry about anymore."

If engineers designed everything using general relativity as the foundation, most devices would be prohibitively costly. Newton's laws work for us, for the time and velocity scales that we deal with. Does the mass of a car in motion change by a tiny fraction at speeds different from zero? Yes. Should we bother about it as engineers? No.

Hope that helps clarify my thoughts.

Last edited:
interesting..this thread is still on :clapping:

And uncharacteristically no one has yet left the forum in a huff on this..yet

There is something special to most of these Philosophy Vs Science debates

Last edited:
alright... but what about the stuff that was recorded, but could not be measured at the time it was being measured by equipment that does not have the capabilty to measure it????
It was recorded, therefore it was measured. A movement in a microphone was translated into electricity that could move meters, be displayed on screens, and either recorded analogue, or stored as digital data.

If it wasn't measurable it did not get recorded. This must be true, whatever the recording medium. There is no analogue/digital/tape/wax-master controversy relevant. We could think of it, analogously, like the network level modelling: sound -> microphone transducer to speaker transducer -> sound. Movement of one thing leads to movement of another. Measurable.

I don't understand why people get so mad about this: it is like denying that there is oxygen in the air!

Murali,
Thanks for the detailed reply. From my perspective, each of your points is made with the same underlying argument: Human emotional or sensory response to a device, event, experience, cannot be measured "scientifically". And my response to that is, currently no, it cannot.
What can't be measured? See my point that recording itself is an act of measurement.

There may be no dials with the words used by "audiophiles," but if sound A differs from sound B, then a recording of sound A will be different from one of B. Dynamic range is easy, even for a beginner, to see in a waveform: perhaps some of the other "audiophile qualities" could also be pinned down by comparing wave forms and spectrographs.

Wouldn't it more productive for the anti-metric audiophiles to actually have a go at this? Maybe even master the art. Of course, if they are too busy enjoying the music, then that I can understand, but then let them stop going on about this "unmeasurable" thing!

But taking that even further, why should a device designer care about this beyond a point?
Exactly. It is the result that counts.
My statement was not about whether, given that two devices (say amplifiers) measure the same in all relevant parameter spaces, that you prefer one and I prefer another. That is exactly where the "taste" of a person comes in, and everyone has a right to their own taste/choice/preference, based on their mental make-up, culture, experiences, and finances. In no post of mine have I ever said that one should buy a device based on only measurements. And the reasons are something we all know: individual tastes, room acoustics, synergy with the rest of the audio chain, et al.
Neither have I. Also, let us stress the difference between measurements and specifications.

What I am saying is that audiophiles should climb down from their self-made, exalted perch, and stop thinking that audio devices are the most exquisite, delicate, and resolving things in the world. And that only audiophiles can make out subtle nuances in the output of their engineered device, that no other discipline/area of today's society can.
And that their ears are more sensitive than the microphones which recorded the music in the first place?

Dogs make human hearing look stupid. Nothing to write home about. We're lucky we can appreciate music at all! :cool:

I'll drink to that! :thumbsup:

(Which also raises an old & interesting question -- how & why humans took a liking to music in the first place)

I guess it started with nature in the first place. plenty of music there. you will have to goto a jungle to hear it. the world we live in has killed all natural music and replaced it with industrial noise, by we the humans, the scum of the earth.:lol:

Some interesting articles so far. I liked that part about vinyls. Always thought vinyls sound better than cds, dont have vinyls though. Maybe its better because its usually recorded better, no drc etc, not much superiority in the medium itself. I always compared the sound of vinyl vs the sound of cd. Never thought from the point of view of inserting an A/D and D/A converters in the chain and then seeing which one is better. I wounder how many people would be able to pick the fact than a good quality a/d and d/a converter has been introduced in their chain.

.... Always thought vinyls sound better than cds, dont have vinyls though.

Owning both media I say that if only the equipment is really good then vinyl does sound better than a well recorded CD. Otherwise it sounds different for sure, but better would be subjective atleast in my opinion.

Owning both media I say that if only the equipment is really good then vinyl does sound better than a well recorded CD. Otherwise it sounds different for sure, but better would be subjective atleast in my opinion.

I just read somewhere that there were around 250,000,000 iPods on the street and if playing lossless files, and not the crappy MP3, they are as good as any. The world has changed and time we also move forward.
P.S. After all these years of wavering whether to plunge into vinyl or not, it looks like I need to renew my quest towards a Wadia iPod transport and a decent D/A converter.

cheers.
murali

I just read somewhere that there were around 250,000,000 iPods on the street and if playing lossless files, and not the crappy MP3, they are as good as any. The world has changed and time we also move forward.
P.S. After all these years of wavering whether to plunge into vinyl or not, it looks like I need to renew my quest towards a Wadia iPod transport and a decent D/A converter.

cheers.
murali

ipod is not the best sounding portable player, there are others that play flac too.:)

cheers.
murali

what you mention is another option for music listening with a lot of convenience. Wadia is definitely one of the better options however there are a no. of good yet cheaper options like the onkyo ND-S1 and CA iD100. All these read raw output from the iPod. by the way you are stuck to aac for iPod as they dont support flac - like another one of those messed up Steve Jobs ideas of controlling everything thats in and on the device.

FYI, ipod sales have crossed the 300 million mark.

What I have realised is that its not a fairly st. forward to get into Vinyl as compared to digital media due to the limited of equipment options, LPs and also ongoing maintenance. BUT once you get the feel for quality analogue sound, its very hard to go back to digital. You will yearn for more and thats for sure.

I just read somewhere that there were around 250,000,000 iPods on the street and if playing lossless files, and not the crappy MP3, they are as good as any.
As good as any what? :eek:hyeah:

I never tried any of the iGadgets, and probably never will. By coincidence, though, I just got my first Android phone. Lots of learning and messing around to be done, lots of discoveries to be made. I found that it easily accesses the Windows-shared directories on my Linux desktop, so I plugged in the Audio-Technica 'phones and played a file. A WAV file, too, so no MP3 problems. It was good. Damned good ... but not as good as then listening to the same song on the 'phones output of my M-Audio speakers. Possibly not as good as my nearly-10-yr-old Cowon portable, but I didn't get that out for comparison yet.

ipod is not the best sounding portable player, there are others that play flac too.:)

Has the Apple-fanboy iLynch-mob reached your house yet? ;)

iPhone is not highly spoken of by people with interest in hifi.

I think we should discuss about iProducts in computer audio forum.
Thanks to Wadia, I have been using iTransport for years and happy with the product.
With digital out I am able to enjoy cd (redbook standard) quality sound.

FYI: Steve Jobs was awarded Grammy, which recognises contributions to the music industry in areas other than performance.

Last edited:
iPhone is not highly spoken of by people with interest in hifi.

Only because Steve Jobs is no more/Apple has not pursued stereo/audiophile equipment.

I still remember how mobile phones were before the first iPhone. Now of course everything is a ripoff/wannabe of the iPhone.

Only because Steve Jobs is no more/Apple has not pursued stereo/audiophile equipment.

So shouldn't we all wait until apple comes up with decent hifi gear to put the crown on its head

I still remember how mobile phones were before the first iPhone. Now of course everything is a ripoff/wannabe of the iPhone.
That still does not qualify apple products to measure upto current ones for hi-resolution playback.BTW, I own apple products and so am no biased against them.

Hi Ajinkya,

We all perceive depth, height and width of soundstage and separation of instruments. By your logic everything should be measurable else its a figment of imagination, so am curious, what instruments currently exist to measure these parameters in playback?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Stevieboy,
Since these things are perceived by us, measuring them directly is difficult as present. I say "at present" because in the future, there is always the possibility of brain-mapping techniques that will be accurate enough to pinpoint what the brain is perceiving at each instant. But such things are still in the future.

However, as I've tried to explain in my (admittedly long) reply post to Murali, the designer does not create the device by measuring these things. Devices are engineered based on a different set of parameters that are closely related to the output that the device has to produce (whether the device is an amp, speaker, or a cable). Let me know if my other post helps elucidate what I'm trying to convey.

And I've never said that measurements should alone be used to buy devices. What I do say is that audiophiles should recognise that there may be other reasons why they hear certain things, many of them because the human sensory system can be affected by emotions and has biases that may not be related to the auditory experience itself. If audiophiles were open to admitting this and trying to see if this effect is playing a part in the differences they hear/feel, instead of attributing it to the "There are more things under heaven and Earth..." clique, our hobby would benefit immensely. That's what my statement tried to capture.

So shouldn't we all wait until apple comes up with decent hifi gear to put the crown on its head

That still does not qualify apple products to measure upto current ones for hi-resolution playback.BTW, I own apple products and so am no biased against them.

I'm no fanboy... but I'd still give Apple credit where its due.

In music... they wiped out the Walkman with their iPods.

Now I'm not saying their version of hi-fi would wipe out the competition... but its equally "dumb" for people with interest in hi-fi to say the iPhone sucks.

.. because the human sensory system can be affected by emotions and has biases that may not be related to the auditory experience itself.

Priming (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Simple common gestures can also unconsciously influence our thoughts and feelings.
In one demonstration, people were asked to listen to messages through new headphones. They were told that the purpose of the experiment was to test the quality of the audio equipment and were instructed to move their heads repeatedly to check for any distortions of sound. Half the participants were told to nod their head up and down and while others were told to shake from side to side. The message they heard were radio editorials. Those who nodded (a yes gesture) tended to accept the message they heard, but those who shook their head tended to reject it." (page 54 THINKING FAST AND SLOW- DANIEL KAHNEMAN)

I'm no fanboy... but I'd still give Apple credit where its due.

In music... they wiped out the Walkman with their iPods.

Now I'm not saying their version of hi-fi would wipe out the competition... but its equally "dumb" for people with interest in hi-fi to say the iPhone sucks.

Fair enough, the world owes apple a lot of credit and should recognise as such to apple. They have created many industries in the last 10 years especially.

But your assertions about iphone being a source for hi-res music is absolutely wrong. Convenience and simplicity is iphone's strength but hi-quality music is not. Thats why the Wadia and CA read native format files from the iPhone and process through their signal processors. This is because the native iphone sound sucks absolutely. Now their earbuds are absolutely horrible to be kind to apple's desire for delivering quality products.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back