10" Subwoofer build pics

Naveenbnc

Hi All,

I built a 10" sub today ... please see the simulation graphs.
Green graph: 39Hz F3 & and 31Hz F10 @ 29L internal volume
Red graph: 33Hz F3 & and 26Hz F10 @ 44L internal volume
Vent air velocity less than 15m/sec

My priority was to keep the size as small as possible.
So I built the sub as per green graph.

If we want to push the F3 further down.... it is not possible with this driver without a dip and peak near the roll off...
You can see the peak and dip in RED graph. How ever, I struggled a bit not to let the graph drop below F3 line....

10 inch sub iwai_6.JPG

10 inch sub iwai_8.JPG

10 inch sub iwai_9.JPG

please correct me if there is anything wrong or any improvements.
Especially in phase responce, group delay and system impedance graphs

Are these transmission line model subs?.. Hope you would be powering up these using external amplifier..
Passive sub with external amp gives us lot of flexibility elango..... So I prefer passive sub always. We can keep on upgrading the sub and keep the same amp :D:D

This is not a TL sub....it's just a long rectangular port :D:D

I would love to build a TL sub....but I haven't understood the design basics and calculations for TL design yet

Nice. How does it sound?
Could you also please upload the measurements and the driver used. Would be helpful for other members too.

Passive sub with external amp gives us lot of flexibility elango..... So I prefer passive sub always. We can keep on upgrading the sub and keep the same amp :D:D

Yup.. True.. Same reason, i made sealed subs, externally powered..

This is not a TL sub....it's just a long rectangular port :D:D

I would love to build a TL sub....but I haven't understood the design basics and calculations for TL design yet

Oh k.. There was a similar resemblance to the TL sub, the bass duct.. Hence asked..

Nice. How does it sound?
Could you also please upload the measurements and the driver used. Would be helpful for other members too.
Sounds good and as expected. But since I already have 12" sub, this didn't surprise me.
Unfortunately I don't have any measuring equipment. I have to buy soon.... It's a must for me....

Of course your ceiling subs is a crazy and super interesting idea.... !!!:D:D

Ha ha.. I thought why not use ceiling for subwoofer as it is the most unused spaced, also you get floor space.. Especially in my tiny room.. It turned out to be good.. Planning to go quad identical sealed subs.. Will begin the work once i get the drivers..

Basically I'm thinking of the below two options. I have one more 10" bass driver.

Option1: Build one more sub exactly the same. And use both of them to build 2.2 with a full range later on.

Option2. Build the second sub as per the RED graph. This will be a larger box, but will go deeper than the current one. This helps me to learn and compare the difference between the two as per graphs. Also I can check how the peak and dip in the graph work in reality.

Need to decide one of the above.... Let's see ...

:eek::eek::eek::D:D 4 subs in a room hanging above :D:D:D

Nope.. Not all 4 on the ceiling.. 2 on ceiling as you recollect earlier, and 2 more on the front wall, in-between L-C-R..

You have the amps to drive all of them ??

Yup.. Got a used & faulty 5 channel Parasound HCA 2205 A, of which only 4 channels work.. So plan to used that to drive the subs..

Need to decide one of the above.... Let's see ...

I understand the experimentation, but with identical ones you have the same freq response..

built a sealed sub with the same driver.
see the below simulation. Yellow is for the smallest possible box 12x12x12, and green is slightly bigger 12x14x25.

I made the box 12x12x12 to how it performs in the smallest box possible.
As you see from the below graph, F3 is quite high @ 110 Hz compared to ported (graph in post#1)

It clearly shows in listening too... this particular driver is more suitable for ported, and the bass is relatively deep in ported compared to sealed.

However I couldn't notice the SQ difference that sealed will give tight bass compared to ported. May be some more listening is needed.

10 inch sub iwai_10 SEALED.JPG

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back