10 vs 12 inch sub. Bottom firing vs front firing

sunster

I currently own a bottom firing Boston BT1110 sub. It’s an old model but really good. Love the fact that it has a front volume control so very easy to increase bass volume on the fly. Just that it sounds very boomy and not tight. What would be a better upgrade. How about a front firing sub with front volume controls.

I currently own a bottom firing Boston BT1110 sub. It’s an old model but really good. Love the fact that it has a front volume control so very easy to increase bass volume on the fly. Just that it sounds very boomy and not tight. What would be a better upgrade. How about a front firing sub with front volume controls.
More details such has your set up, room dimensions, layout and budget is critical in selecting a subwoofer. Bigger is always better but a dual 10 inch is better then a single 12 inch sub

If you think it's too boomy, have you tried playing around with placement? Plugging the port with foam or towels?

Why not turn the sub around and have it's controls facing the front and hide it using creative placement of something else?

Front vs down firing has very little difference on sound

It is not clear if you are using the sub for home theater or stereo (music). Either way, the volume pot you see on active subwoofers are not really volume controls but sensitivity pots to attenuate the input signal to match/integrate with your main speaker output/roll off. So ideally it should be set once and left that way.

I use it for Hime Theater, music 2.1 channel since I love the extra bass and for Netflix amazon etc. have an Atmos setup with 5.1.2

Like the front pot control since I play a variety of music files and sometimes bass is lacking especially on retro. I can just crank up the low end and it sounds better.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back