1080p projector placement

Shanmugam

I am planning to have a projector in my 12x24ft setup. I want to mount the projector 24 feet away from the screen (other side of the wall) to get 150 inch screen.
Does projectors have screen size adjustment software or do we need to physically place the projector away from the screen to get the required screen size.

Usually projectors has a zoom adjustment knob to enlarge the picture when the projector is placed close to the screen. But for most projectors the minimum picture size will be bigger than 150" from a distance of 24 feet . Please refer to the specs of the projector you are considering to buy

Usually projectors has a zoom adjustment knob to enlarge the picture when the projector is placed close to the screen. But for most projectors the minimum picture size will be bigger than 150" from a distance of 24 feet . Please refer to the specs of the projector you are considering to buy
Few of the projectors I checked had more than 150 inch screen size for 24ft. I don’t want the projector hanging from the ceiling oddly.

This depends on the projector throw ratio and other parameters. I think there should be option to reduce the size but not increase. I am new to projector usage, other FM will help you.

You need to get hold of a higher end projector for your requirement. Epson 9400 or a Sony or a JVC.

Your zoom requirements are not common in the entry level projectors of any brand, I'm afraid.

Since Sony and JVC are higher end projector brands, unlike BenQ, Optoma, or even Epson, they have excellent zoom capabilities.

I don't know any Full HD models that can do that. The 1080p models which has that zoom range are either discontinued or unavailable.

I would suggest to go with mounting. Or mount on the side wall if not on the ceiling. Please note you will need horizontal lens shift to get the picture aligned properly.

But most of the entry level 1080p projectors do not have a horizontal lens shift.

I suggest to go with mid-levels projectors which has both horizontal and vertical lens shift. I assume you are planning to use them in the living room.

Epson 7100 and above. Or an Epson 9400, which has a motorized zoom function and plenty bright.

Good luck.

At 24 feet, most projectors would have a larger than 150" minimum size threshold so not sure if you want to trade off having more projector options with higher value vs. deciding between just a handful models that meet this requirement. Any other reason you do not want to mount it on the ceiling other than finding it odd?

The zoom capability with a min. and max. threshold in the most entry to mid range projectors is actually to give some wiggle room for adjustment post installation.

I am planning to have a projector in my 12x24ft setup. I want to mount the projector 24 feet away from the screen (other side of the wall) to get 150 inch screen.
Does projectors have screen size adjustment software or do we need to physically place the projector away from the screen to get the required screen size.
Most projectors come with a dial to increase and decrease the size based on the throw length. Very recent projectors seem to do this digitally with auto key stone correction.

Best way to know this is by checking out the individual projector out in the room at different lengths before deciding.

Also, at 24 feet, you cannot discern the 1080p quality. You lose the full benefit of 1080p at 20 feet and 720p at 25 feet. This is roughly my understanding, someone please do correct me if I'm wrong.

What model projector do you have /intend to buy?

Most projectors come with a dial to increase and decrease the size based on the throw length. Very recent projectors seem to do this digitally with auto key stone correction.
That is the zoom range. Higher will give more flexibility in placement.

Best way to know this is by checking out the individual projector out in the room at different lengths before deciding.
You definitely don't need to do that :) . There are calculators avialable for almost all projectors online. The best site is projectorcentral.com

Also, at 24 feet, you cannot discern the 1080p quality. You lose the full benefit of 1080p at 20 feet and 720p at 25 feet. This is roughly my understanding, someone please do correct me if I'm wrong.
24 feet requirement is of the throw distance, not the viewing distance.

My recently done up room is 23.5 feet long.
I have an Epson EH-TW8100 placed in a box on the wall opposite the screen.
I have 150" projection with a viewing distance of 14 feet.
Photos are from before I installed the electronics.
The screen is acoustically transparent spandex cloth stretched over a wood frame and front LCR are behind the screen.

IMG20200615171410 - Copy.jpg

IMG20200820172039 - Copy.jpg

The same projector in my earlier setup in the living room. I like this sort of box arrangement for the projector.

1626409661914.png

The screen is acoustically transparent spandex cloth stretched over a wood frame and front LCR are behind the screen.

View attachment 59569

View attachment 59570

The same projector in my earlier setup in the living room. I like this sort of box arrangement for the projector.

View attachment 59571
I really liked the way you have fixed your screen.. Can you show me few pics behind the screen. I would like to install mine similarly...

Kudos on the grey interior. Looks fantastic

I really liked the way you have fixed your screen.. Can you show me few pics behind the screen. I would like to install mine similarly...

Kudos on the grey interior. Looks fantastic
Thanks for your kind words.
I have finally posted a thread on the HT build. I have described the screen in some detail. Do look it up

View attachment 59569

View attachment 59570

View attachment 59571
Man, I love that set up!
Have been thinking painting the walls grey for my (much smaller) media room, and your pic just made up my mind.

Man, I love that set up!
Have been thinking painting the walls grey for my (much smaller) media room, and your pic just made up my mind.
Thanks a lot!
Look at putting up curtains too so you can have both, light coloured walls and dark ones.
There's a lot said on velvet curtains.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back