110v - 230v convertion.

You can easily get a converter from a good local electric shop which converts 240V to 110V at around Rs250-350/- It justs like an universal adapter which directly fits into wall socket. Just make sure that its good brand (ISI) and test it from dealer before plugging it to your product.

Hi Nandakumar, use a 230 to 110 volts (1 kva ) step down converter avilable at SP road, that should work fine. A good one costs around 2,000 bucks. I am using the same for 1 year without any problem.

Regards,
Anil

Hi everybody,
How to use an amp usa 110v (50 cycles) in india which is 230v (60 cycles).

Last edited:
I am using the stepdown converter to drive my YAMAHA & PIONEER vintage amps (both are110 volts), absolutely no issues at all....1 KVA should be ideal if you are driving both amp & cd player. If it's a high current amp, 2 KVA should do the job. Any help regarding this, please PM me.

Regards,
Anil

I might require it for my krell 400xi amp and also for my cdp.

Hi,

Anil buddy It might just be a little less !! Am sure you might've missed the spec of this krell, so only you have recommended 2Kva ! once you see Am sure you'll agree with me:)!

Well if its for krell 400 Xi then you might have to go for a minimum of 2.5Kva converter !! the krell manual says max of 1800watts power consumption,so anything less then 2.5Kva will sure have adverse effect on the system !!

Please make sure of that the converter is of good quality and is of some reputed make !

If you need any help from me please let me know ! will try to help in my capacity:) !!

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Sreekanth buddy, yes i missed the specifications. A good quality 3 kva converter should cost around 4K.

Regards,
Anil

Hi,

Anil buddy It might just be a little less !! Am sure you might've missed the spec of this krell, so only you have recommended 2Kva ! once you see Am sure you'll agree with me:)!

Well if its for krell 400 Xi then you might have to go for a minimum of 2.5Kva converter !! the krell manual says max of 1800watts power consumption,so anything less then 2.5Kva will sure have adverse effect on the system !!

Please make sure of that the converter is of good quality and is of some reputed make !

If you need any help from me please let me know ! will try to help in my capacity:) !!

Regards.

Hi,
Yes the Krell will draw lots of current for sure and 3KVA should be the best option. If its 1800W then 1800 into a 4ohm or 8 ohm load? If its 1800W at 8 ohms then will consume much more and heat more into a 4 Ohm load. Am not sure of the krell specs so its best to confirm this. Of course this is at max output and one is never going to venture there but its better to err towards safety in these issues.

Dear Shreekant/Anil can one of u please suggest me a good millivoltmeter? Whether the Indian ones will give accurate readings and if yes which brand should i buy.
Regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Dinyaar the spec doesn't mention whether its @ 4Ohm or 8 !! it just says max 1800watts !!

I've attached the spec of that here for reference ! please check !

Krell%20spec.jpg

As with the Milivolt meter,could you please specify whats the exact use ?? its important coz We have determine the usage and then recommend !

But in any case the Indian meters which are best are :

1.Rishab
2.Meco
3.Kusam-Meco
4.Motwane
5.Aplab

These are the best of all available in India thats made in India ! but are of international standards !

Here's a few meters worthy of considering !

Rishab

Meco

Kusam-Meco best with 50 MV starting range

Hope this helps ! please let Us know if these are not what you are looking for !!

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry forgot to add imported ones !

The imported or MNC brands that are best are :

1.Texas Instruments
2.Fluke
3.Agilent

But all the above will cost a bomb so I'd not recommend unless its a must !! just to give an idea,the fluke basic one costs 15K upwards !!

Regards.

Last edited:
Can any one tell me the brands and what kva 2.5 or 3 or....., should i buy for krell 400xi.
thanks in advance
with regards
nanda kumar

Hi,

Nandakumar there is not particular brand that we can suggest as these are not normally available ! this heavy stuff are only made to order ! so have to go with some known circle and get one done !!

As with the KVA,3 is the safest bet !! 2.5 will also do since the transformer is only rated at 750VA ! but if you chose to play it safe then 3 for sure no doubt !!

As already Anil has said he can help you ! please shoot a PM to him ! if not PM me and I'll see what can be done !!

Regards.

thanks guys,
So i can go ahead and purchase this amps,
thanks once again to all of you for your guidence .
with great regards
nanda kumar

Hi,

Hey hey you've not bought it yet ??:eek:

Well in that case why are you bothered so much ?? just try to get a 230V itself ! whats the problem ??

Or IMO I'd say instead of that try the Odyssey Khartago or Stratos ! you can go for a passive or active pre from same company !They are very aggressively priced,besides the impoter is here in Bangalore so you'd get the max benefit from all this !!

Try PMing odyssey (Sridhar) he's the guy ! very friendly and very knowledgeable !

I Strongly recommend this before anything else !!

Regards.

I would not recommend a step down transformer unless you have no choice.

Transformers are the heart of any audio component (specially an amplifier) and good audio company's spend a lot on these. A bad transformer will mess up the sound and WILL be audible on a Krell.

Most importantly, some Krell's have a frequency sensor (to protect dealers from cross border trading), so simply converting from 220V to 110V may not work. I suggest you confirm this with Krell first as I think the 400xi is one of them.
You cannot convert from 50Hz to 60Hz unless you get something like a regenerator which is expensive.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Was not aware of this awedeophile. Interesting to know.
Thanks for all the info on mV meters shreekant. Was looking for fluke myself but if its 15 K i better look elsewhere. The reason i need one is that i need to adjust the channel bias preset on a friends old amplifier. Have been given the bias voltages and i just need an accurate meter.
Shreekant I saw the specs on the krell. Its safe to assume the Max consumption figure of 1800w is at a 4 ohm load. My 4BSST manual reads as follows :At idle 170 w, Both channels driven at 8 ohms 1280 W, Both channels driven at 4 ohms 2100 W, bridged at 8 Ohms 2040W. So its safe to assume that if a 300WPC which gives 500WPC @ 4 ohms consumes 2100 W then the krell which is 200WPC @ 8 Ohms and doubles to 400WPC @ 4 ohms should consume 1800W and will probably consume about 1000/1100 W if its driving an 8Ohm speaker.
Regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Dinyaar yeah what you say can be the thing !! but I just informed that there's no specific mention thats all !!

Ohh IC to adjust the Bias !! then I guess the meco one will do just fine ! Am using one their old model but still very rugged and gives a perfect reading !! even the Kusam-Meco is also in the same league !!

As with fluke as I said its damn expensive ! check out if get in local LT Road market without bill ! then it should be bit cheap !! here its available in local market ! so I guess it should be there available too !!

But with bill and safe bet is the MECO or Kusam-Meco ! even the Rish is known to be expensive !!

Regards.

Thanks Soundsgreat. Will check at lamington road over the weekend and get something reliable and not too expensive. I could have sent my buddy to some of my DIY friends and they would have done it in a jiffy but they are both sitting in bangalore and hence i have to do this myself!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again and best regards
DK

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back