110v/60Hz CD player use?

jai1611

Folks,

I was thinking of picking up a CD player from the US. However, this would be on a 110V/60Hz power supply and would need to be used with a transformer. I had 2 queries about this:
1. What kind of transformer would be needed and how much would it cost?
2. Would it have any impact on sound quality? (the CD player is in the $1500+ range and I wouldnt want to sacrifice any part of the SQ)

Thanks in advance

Jaibir

which one? which one?

Folks,

I was thinking of picking up a CD player from the US. However, this would be on a 110V/60Hz power supply and would need to be used with a transformer. I had 2 queries about this:
2. Would it have any impact on sound quality? (the CD player is in the $1500+ range and I wouldnt want to sacrifice any part of the SQ)

Thanks in advance

Jaibir

Folks,

Thanks in advance

Jaibir

Good questions asked.

1. You will need a step down transformer. It is available in many electrical shops. Ask specifically for a step down transformer that adjusts for the frequency also. Cost os about Rs. 800/-.

2. No.

which one? which one?

Thinking of one of the CEC belt driven ones (TL51XR). Unfortunately no dealer in India. Will be in the US for a few days towards the end of this month and should get a chance to listen to one and buy it if I like it (the reviews are positive but cant be sure until I've actually heard it).

The tl51 is cheaper in hong Kong than the US (when i last checked) and they do ship it to india
also never get a 110 to work on a 220 even with a stepup..it is not worth it.

A CDP shows the most differences with power and most stepup transformers only ruin the power.

BTW do try to see if it can be convereted to a 230V by any internal jumpers or by the dealer himself.

Last edited:
Thanks ARJ. I didnt realise it was cheaper in Hong Kong. I guess the purchase can wait till my next HK trip (if I get too impatient, I will probably order it)

Hi,

Thinking of one of the CEC belt driven ones (TL51XR). Unfortunately no dealer in India. Will be in the US for a few days towards the end of this month and should get a chance to listen to one and buy it if I like it (the reviews are positive but cant be sure until I've actually heard it).

First things first, I'd be vary of suggesting a converter for a CDP of that caliber,Power Supply is the integral part of overall sound in any equipment and Especially in these high-end one's where they give utmost importance in designing the whole PS !

Its not that a converter will screw the whole sound and make sound shit (it will if one is not careful in choosing a proper one) but just that it robs certain quality from the product its connected with that's all !

Anyways since the brand is CEC Am very confident that if you look around properly you'll get a 220V one for sure !!

Also just another thought,why don't you look at some pre-owned stuff ? try in Audio Asylum,Audiogon and such there are pleanty of super duper players in the said budget which will take you to another level altogether !! Most of the folks there are friendly and will certainly let you Audition the unit before you can make decision, I'd strongly suggest you to give it try before jumping on the new one !!

Regards.

Hi Jai
Ebay USA has loads of cdps. I am sure you will find one with a 220 volt PS

Thanks audio_engr . I guess I can wait.

BTW, anyone have any experience regarding how the CEC compares to the Arcam CD37?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back