120V Convertor options for USA AV Receiver(Pioneer 818AV)

s_sachin

Hello ,

I finally bought this reciever which the buyer had got from USA and i am now looking for a 120 V convertor. Anybody using a AVR bouught from USA ? Any suggestions on the convertor.

Maybe this has already be discussed in the forum. Any pointers to that would also help.

thanks
Sachin

This topic has been discussed in detail search option is your friend.:D

I used a 120V Onkyo Tx-Ds676 with a stabilizer/converter in one. I got mine cutom made in a electronics shop about 10 years ago, should be readily available now in the market.

Which reciever did you buy, from whom and at what price..
I am considering buying a AVR from US ebay.

regards

Hello ,

I finally bought this reciever which the buyer had got from USA and i am now looking for a 120 V convertor. Anybody using a AVR bouught from USA ? Any suggestions on the convertor.

Maybe this has already be discussed in the forum. Any pointers to that would also help.

thanks
Sachin

You need a simple Step Down transformer. At the input side (Primary) you feed 230V AC and at the output side (Secondary) you will get 120V AC. Remember trasformer can change voltage level but not the frequency, so after this Voltage Step down business , you AVR will operate at 120 V AC, 50 Hz. 50 -60 Hz doesn't make any difference as far as AVR is concerned.

Don't buy any ready made voltage converters, as most of them are meant for some small portable appliances such as Shavers, Hair Dryers etc . Get one such transformer made to your specific requirements.

Things to note here are:

1> Voltage ratio 230 -> 120 (or 230->110 V) check your AVR back panel for correct voltage level.

2> Current rating: Your AVR back panel will tell you power consuption in Watts. Divide it by 120 (or 110 as applicable) to know current rating, add some safty margin say 50% more to that.

3> Insist on high grade copper wire.

4> Insist on CRGO stampings to minimize heat (loss) and Hum.

5> Mount the transformer on a sturdy wooden platform.

6> Add good terminal strip with brass contacts, you need US style plug sockets . Easily available here in India.

7> Get a protective grill on the transformer.

A well made trasformer with above specs will cost you between Rs 1000 to Rs 3000 depending on current rating.

In your city check for any trasformer maker (small capacity) or check with anybody making UPS/ Voltage stabilizer for any pointers.

If you are in Bangalore, contact Mr Murthy, he will make one for you.

Hope this helps

Thanks Suhas and others. I am in hyderabad and will start looking here for a transformer/converter.

thanks
Sachin

What is the general power consumption for these kind of voltage convertors? I don't want the power to be wasted/ electricity bills to go up just because of this.

You need a simple Step Down transformer. At the input side (Primary) you feed 230V AC and at the output side (Secondary) you will get 120V AC. Remember trasformer can change voltage level but not the frequency, so after this Voltage Step down business , you AVR will operate at 120 V AC, 50 Hz. 50 -60 Hz doesn't make any difference as far as AVR is concerned.

Don't buy any ready made voltage converters, as most of them are meant for some small portable appliances such as Shavers, Hair Dryers etc . Get one such transformer made to your specific requirements.

Things to note here are:

1> Voltage ratio 230 -> 120 (or 230->110 V) check your AVR back panel for correct voltage level.

2> Current rating: Your AVR back panel will tell you power consuption in Watts. Divide it by 120 (or 110 as applicable) to know current rating, add some safty margin say 50% more to that.

3> Insist on high grade copper wire.

4> Insist on CRGO stampings to minimize heat (loss) and Hum.

5> Mount the transformer on a sturdy wooden platform.

6> Add good terminal strip with brass contacts, you need US style plug sockets . Easily available here in India.

7> Get a protective grill on the transformer.

A well made trasformer with above specs will cost you between Rs 1000 to Rs 3000 depending on current rating.

In your city check for any trasformer maker (small capacity) or check with anybody making UPS/ Voltage stabilizer for any pointers.

If you are in Bangalore, contact Mr Murthy, he will make one for you.

Hope this helps
hi, thanks for the info.
I'm planning to buy the Denon AVR-X1100W of the 2014 lineup, from USA coz unfortunately it's a 7.2 ch variant and grossly over priced in India.
Wanted your help about a couple of things -
How easy/tough is it to transport an AVR on an int'l flight
Also, Could you please refer me to the right person for getting the step-down transformer built ( my home's in Bangalore). TIA!
Regards,
Navaneeth Suresh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back