2.1 stereo setup with norge 2060

darin_rozario

Planning to have 2.1 stereo setup at home connected to the TV and later on have a 5.1 setup for watching movies and listening to music.
Confused whether to buy an active or passive speaker for the fronts. If active planning to get the JBL LSR305 and passive speakers my options are - MTX MONITOR5I Monitor Series 5-1/4, Sound Appeal 6.5" Premium Bookshelf Speakers, Boston acoustics - CS 26 II ,/ A26, Wharfedales, Taga. I heard the latest norge 2060 comes with two ports only for left and right speakers and not 4 for 3.1 setup. Somebody please suggest?

Hi,

First of all, Welcome to this forum.

Now lets take your queries on by one:

2.1 Setup with Norge 2060
--------------------------------

Norge 2060 neither provides direct option to connect SUB nor A+B speaker option, but still you can do 2.1 setup.

Requirement: SUB must have SPEAKER IN and SPEAKER OUT

polk-psw-125-cherry-back.jpg

Stereo Amp ----(speaker cable)----> Sub Speaker IN

Sub Speaker Out -----(speaker cable)-----> Speakers

A) Connect one end of speaker cables to stereo amplifier and other end to sub into speaker-in. Normally all active/powered sub have speaker IN and OUT.
B) Now connect your speakers to Sub on Speaker Out jacks. This just like connecting your speakers to any amplifier/receiver.

5.1 Setup Later
-------------------

If you intend to setup 5.1 sooner then better option might be to invest in AVR in the beginning itself, considering your primary requirement is MOVIES.

Speakers
------------

Considering the information you have provided, I would have gone for passive speakers if I were you.

Hope it helps.

Unless you are into studio mixing and recording, active speakers are probably not a good choice. You may have to go above 25k to enjoy music on the active speaker ones just like passive speakers.

There are stereo amps with connection only for two speakers. These are only for music.
Some stereo amps have connection for four speakers. This is for two pairs of speakers, Both pairs get the same stereo signal to listen to music in two different locations form the same source. These cannot be connected in 3.1 format.

There are multi channel amplifiers which have connectivity for multiple speakers. These are meant for movies with surround sound.
Active speakers like the JBL have an amplifier built in. These are not meant to be connected to another amp.

I hope this makes sense.

Your best option for dual purpose of music and movies is a multichannel amp (AVR in common terms) with a set of 5 (or more) speakers and one (or two) subwoofer.
It is, of course, very much possible to enjoy movie sound with only a stereo setup.

Thanks guys. Going for a 2.1 setup for now and planning to buy a set of passive speakers to match with Norge 2060. Are the front ported ones better or the rear ported ones? Any suggestions Please?

Planning to buy either one of the following brands
Front ported
MTX MONITOR5I Monitor Series 5-1/4,
Sound Appeal 6.5" Premium Bookshelf Speakers,

Rear ported
Boston acoustics - CS 26 II / A26, Taga

I have space constraints so i think front ported speakers will be better

Last edited:
Small rear ported speakers can very well be wall mounted. e.g., Dali Zensor 1 (which I use wall mounted), Polk RTi A1.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back