2 speaker boxes per channel

keith_correa

Know the amps which have the A, B and A+B selector switches for speakers? What if we take 4 inexpensive but good speakers, stack them one over one per channel, set the amp selector switch to A+B and wire the four speakers with the four distinct sets of speaker outputs from the amp? Will it make a difference to the sound? +ve difference or -ve?

I can think of these relatively inexpensive but good speakers that can be used for this. In order of preference:
  • Wharfedale diamond 9.1
  • Tannoy F1 custom
  • Cambridge Audio S30
  • Q Acoustics 1010
  • Norge Nano

So you're looking at 2 singers and 2 sets of instruments?

You will get a lot of comb filtering using this kind of an arrangement, and likely at the listening position you will have a lot of dips and peaks in the final FR, with cancellation nulls of over 6dB depth. Not pretty to listen to.

thanks for the explantion. will you please explain what is comb filtering? i read this term many a times but failed to understand.

Sound is basically a series of changes in air pressure.

At say 1KHz, there are 1000 peaks and dips in one second in air pressure, measured at a given point.

When there are two sources emitting the same frequencies (peaks and dips), the peaks and dips will combine to produce very large peaks, or very severe dips, or cancel each other out at some points. This depends on the frequency they are emitting, their relative distance from each other, and their distance from the listener.

Think of it like ripples in water. When you throw one stone into a pool, you will get a series of even ripples. Now visualise throwing two stones in slightly different places (a few cm apart) and see the resulting waveform. That is comb filtering.

Would Bipolar designs be essentially the same as what I'm suggesting the exception here being that the 2 poles are close but in a Bioplar design they would be far apart [typically opposite each other]?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back