200W power amplifier

I know you said "preferably no Class D" but consider Crown's XLS Drivecore series. Reviews and feedback from many many people has been very strong, even for many who had reservations of Class D amps. They are also very reasonably priced and are very strong amps. XLS 1500 or the newer XLS 1502 for example, is rated at 300W at 8 ohms, 525W at 4 ohms, and costs only $400.

Even after a price markup in India, I would presume it should fit your budget. I would also imagine that most pro audio equipment suppliers would stock Crown amps.

Which also reminded me - I think there was a forum member from Chandigarh who was designing his own pro audio and hifi audio amps (class D mostly but also class AB/A) with strong specs. He also designed a kit for this forum and there was a group buy effort in this forum.

Last edited:
Hope nobody is going to ask/question you why you purchased a 200W amp! :eek:hyeah:

:) people did ask. i infact wouldve settled for something lower - around 125-150w, but AP has only two models, 75w and 200w. so i went with the 200w. makes it future proof as well. though i doubt i;ll ever get such powerful speakers

:) people did ask. i infact wouldve settled for something lower - around 125-150w, but AP has only two models, 75w and 200w. so i went with the 200w. makes it future proof as well. though i doubt i;ll ever get such powerful speakers

If the amp can do 200W at 8 ohms, it will probably do 300W at 4 ohms.
That is a whopping 75A of instantaneous current when the music/room/speakers/volume demands it.
You can be rest assured that the amp will never run out of juice :)
I have been running speakers rated at 100-120W on 200W amps for a few years now.

Cheers,
Raghu

If the amp can do 200W at 8 ohms, it will probably do 300W at 4 ohms.
That is a whopping 75A of instantaneous current when the music/room/speakers/volume demands it.
You can be rest assured that the amp will never run out of juice :)
I have been running speakers rated at 100-120W on 200W amps for a few years now.

Cheers,
Raghu

for easy listening, i turn the volume up 10%. i've never taken it above half. but its always nice to have headroom. otherwise clarity at higher volumes suffer

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back