250W+250W power amp build

Neat build Aniketh!

Is that a preamp with tone controls what I see near the front panel? If so, have you not considered placing it closer to the input to minimize signal path?

I understand that electrolytic capacitors with vents should not be mounted upside-down. I read that the vent may not function properly and the electrolyte may leak out.

Upright mounting is recommended, particularly when the capacitors are fixed by their terminals, by a clamp near the base. In case of horizontal mounting, the safety vent should be at the "12 o'clock" position.

Cheers!

Is that a preamp with tone controls what I see near the front panel? If so, have you not considered placing it closer to the input to minimize signal path?

Hi,

Yes it is a preamp with tone and volume controls. the controls have to be mounted in the front. the signal run is not that long, comes from the rear panel to the front through shielded cables, still is much shorter than RCA cables and interconnects we use for connecting the amp with the source.

Regards,
Aniket

Congrats Aniket! its a great build..

Post something about the cabinet too like where you got it and for how much :)
I have few amps (including the one 100W+100W) without clothing :D

I got the cabinet made at a local fabrication shop in Faridabad. the cost incurred was 2100 INR including powder coating.

Regards,
Aniket

Wish some one could build such an AMP for me in Chennai

in that case it won't be DIY and you won't get joy of making. Many of us here started learning soldering somewhere with simple circuit and later went on building F5 turbo also. So you can think building your own, it may take more time for you. But definitely doable.

And this statement makes little discouragement for publishing work, if one get 100 request to build one for each of them.

Last edited:
in that case it won't be DIY and you won't get joy of making. Many of us here started learning soldering somewhere with simple circuit and later went on building F5 turbo also. So you can think building your own, it may take more time for you. But definitely doable.

And this statement makes little discouragement for publishing work, if one get 100 request to build one for each of them.

Agree in toto.

Agreed on the DIY part. As of now my DIYs are limited to Cars/Bikes and painting. Being a Mechanical engineer, I have limited to my DIYs to those section. A Bookshelf and an SUB build are in pipeline, but as of now, a BIG no to electronic circuits until I understand them better.

And please, my comment is not be taken in a negative way. Only if the job impresses someone, they are going to request you for a build. Ofcourse, DIY is a small part in HFV and it not a dedicated DIY forum, you DIYers will have such acknowledgements. So please relax.

If I am going to Build an AMP, I am going to trouble you and others a lot, but not until I refresh the basics of the electronics first. :) I don't believe in starting something without any preparation.

If I am going to Build an AMP, I am going to trouble you and others a lot, but not until I refresh the basics of the electronics first. :) I don't believe in starting something without any preparation.
You are welcome! :D so start soon. ;)

Hello Guys,

sharing some pics of my current project, a 250W+250W amp with integrated tone controls. design and schematic is by me and PCB's are by Mr. AlexMM from DIY Audio. the chassis is under construction at a local sheet metal shop, would be ready by tomorrow.

Cheers!!
Aniket

Can you share the pcb files or it's not for share?

... as of now, a BIG no to electronic circuits until I understand them better.

... If I am going to Build an AMP, I am going to trouble you and others a lot, but not until I refresh the basics of the electronics first. :) I don't believe in starting something without any preparation.

I can personally vouch for this. I always thought soldering is not for me, and it will be difficult to understand circuits. (My background is programming.) Just about month back, I re-initiated my interest. I had already got the Pass B1 kit from 2012 group buy - assuming that I will get it soldered by local shop. But never got to do that.

And just last week I completed power supply module of Pass B1. Didn't work. Luckily Omishra is here in Pune and quite near too. He identified the stupid mistake (of how a regulator was soldered in reverse) and got it to work in few minutes. And he explained why nothing went wrong (because of use of diodes in right places). Even if I were in some remote part of country, I am sure folks would have been able to help me out! And just today, I completed Pass B1, and right now listening with lot of happiness!

I guess the power supply is designed by our own FMs here; and this design is also by FM. But most of designs are usually standard designs discussed elsewhere in depth, with some easily understandable tweaks and mods. I guess it will take good amount of time to understand intricate aspects. But the designs are well tested, and usually work in first go. My Pass B1 build is working without any flaw in first go, and I spent only about 4-5 hours. I really feel stupid that I didn't build it all this time.

Last edited:
Anik the link you gave imageshack.com can not find anything in pdf in sematich -pcb.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back