3d projector? optoma / epson

cool__abhi

hey there.. i m planning to build a dedicated home theater.. but more on that later.. for now..
1. is 3d projection the way to go? or should we still stick to 2d and 3d may be 5 years later?

2. i was thinking of going for optoma hd33 but the heavy costs in india, made me change to hd 21 which i have been told for about ~85K in delhi.
now i came accross epson tw6000 after reading posts on your forum.. for which i'll have to shell my be about 20k more than optoma hd21. do you think it'll be worth it ? should i go for it?

3. may be a silly questions, but does 3d projector convert the regular movies that we play via hdmi via laptop / tata sky hd to 3d as well?? or does it play 3d only via a dedicated 3d blu ray player ( which costs a bomb) ??

i mean will i need to buy a 3d converter as well or does epson tw6000 do it all?

and will the denon 1912 suffice or will i have to go for 2312?

any help with the prices in delhi will be of help..
i noticed not many users from delhi on this forum.. i wonder why...

In response to Q3

In general, any content(like 3D or 7.1) needs to be encoded so that it can be decoded and played back.So if it is not present in the first place it cannot be enhanced and played back in the enhanced format.

1. is 3d projection the way to go? or should we still stick to 2d and 3d may be 5 years later?
Go 3D

2. now i came accross epson tw6000 after reading posts on your forum.. for which i'll have to shell my be about 20k more than optoma hd21. do you think it'll be worth it ? should i go for it?
Definitely

3. may be a silly questions, but does 3d projector convert the regular movies that we play via hdmi via laptop / tata sky hd to 3d as well?? or does it play 3d only via a dedicated 3d blu ray player ( which costs a bomb) ??i mean will i need to buy a 3d converter as well or does epson tw6000 do it all?
3D projectors do not convert 2d movies into 3d. Movies have to be in 3d format beforehand. However there are some 3d TVs which do convert 2D images into 3d. Same thing is also accomplished by so called '3d converters' that can be used along with 2d/3d projectors. However this 2d-to-3d is artificial 3d which generally looks bad and is not very enjoyable

and will the denon 1912 suffice or will i have to go for 2312?
It should be suffice.

any help with the prices in delhi will be of help..
i noticed not many users from delhi on this forum.. i wonder why...
You are right :) I guess people in Delhi are more outgoing and prefer to watch their movies in theaters.
Prices in Delhi are usually 10% higher than the prices which keep getting quoted around here in this forum.

Buying a optoma projector is defiantly not worth it... In India you are better off buying an epson projector co they are priced much better... Like the hd21 is 90k while the epson tw3600 (US model no. 8350) is around 80k with 2yr warranty which btw is a much better projector than the HD21... Btw do chk weather the 85k price u were quoted was inclusive of vat or not... Normally these projector sellers love to quote u a price & then later tell u vat is extra(12-14% depending on which state u are in)... Anyway weather u want 2d or 3d that's ur choice but if u are buying with bill & warranty in India then the best vfm choices are Epson TW3600 for 2D & Epson TW6000 for 3D for about 1.05 lacs with 2 3D glasses... If u have a bit higher budget than the TW8000(US model no 5010) is available for 1.40 lacs... This is a very good projector & has won the projector of the year award on many websites...

Thanks for the replies..
So basically I should go for an Epson tw6000 with denon 1912..
Then if I download any blu ray 3d movies on laptop then I can play them on laptop and connect it directly to the denon avr via HDMI or will i need to connect it to a 3d blu ray player.. Any suggestions for the same? All my blu-ray and DVD are on my hard disk so not too keen to invest on blu ray player as of now.. Although i know a Samsung 3d blu ray player is around 12-13k .. Is that pretty decent?

Thanks for the replies..
Then if I download any blu ray 3d movies on laptop then I can play them on laptop and connect it directly to the denon avr via HDMI or will i need to connect it to a 3d blu ray player.. Any suggestions for the same? All my blu-ray and DVD are on my hard disk so not too keen to invest on blu ray player as of now.. Although i know a Samsung 3d blu ray player is around 12-13k .. Is that pretty decent?
We would rather not comment on how to play "downloaded" 3D movies for obvious reasons. You can learn on your own through internet though.

Dont think you can play 3d from your laptop through the projector. You need a 3d player in the form of either a media player or a 3d blu ray player. If you are tight on budget, try few 3d media players which can play all formats.

For 3d blu ray player, the prices are coming down..so you can get a decent one for 6-7K.

@rshri .. LOL ! :) and thanks for the replies ..
any other tips/suggestions will be welcome guys..
ceiling mounting the projector is gonna cost me a bomb.. i probably need a 15 m hdmi cable which'll set me back by 15k .. audioquest cable.. should i compromise on that ? then what other brand for hdmi cable?

i have 10 m long hdmi cables that i bought from ebay for about 650rs... and they seem to be of excellent quality too.. nylon braided, etc..
but i have been recommended by home theatre "guy" to go for expensive cables for internal wiring..

@rshri .. LOL ! :) and thanks for the replies ..
any other tips/suggestions will be welcome guys..
ceiling mounting the projector is gonna cost me a bomb.. i probably need a 15 m hdmi cable which'll set me back by 15k .. audioquest cable.. should i compromise on that ? then what other brand for hdmi cable?

i have 10 m long hdmi cables that i bought from ebay for about 650rs... and they seem to be of excellent quality too.. nylon braided, etc..
but i have been recommended by home theatre "guy" to go for expensive cables for internal wiring..

Lolz I sincerely hope u dont fall for that trick... Buy a decent low priced cable from a reputed ebay seller or something like amazon which has good reviews and u will be fine...These expensive cables might make a slight diff(emphasis on slight) but maybe 1 out of a 1000 videophiles can spot that diff...

BTW y is the ceiling mount gonna cost u a bomb??? Mounts are in the range of Rs 850-3000... No need to over spend on trivial stuff... Instead if u want to spend extra cash then buy a upper version of a projector instead of this stuff...
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_nkw=...r+epson&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Last edited:
TW8000(US model no 5010) is available for 1.40 lacs... This is a very good projector & has won the projector of the year award on many websites...

Hi Rajadeep, I am planning to buy the TW8000/9000. I saw TW6000 advt. in eZone. Have asked them to revert with quote for higher model. It will be worth spend 30-40K more and get a high-end model rather than TW6000.

You know where I can get a demo?

Hi Rajadeep, I am planning to buy the TW8000/9000. I saw TW6000 advt. in eZone. Have asked them to revert with quote for higher model. It will be worth spend 30-40K more and get a high-end model rather than TW6000.

You know where I can get a demo?

Well if u talk about picture quality most websites have rated TW8000(5010) as the best projector under $3000 for 2011... It won this award while in comparison with Panny's AE7000, Benq's W7000, JVC X30 & another lower end Sony one... This is a great projector & I myself am now considering it... & its available at a killer price... Consider this its US price is $2600-2700 which in todays exchange rate is 1.43Lacs... & we here in India are getting it for 1.40lacs with 2 yr warranty :)... Now about a demo... Most shops wont have this for demo but if u are serious about buying do contact Varay Image... Its owner Mr Ashish is a pretty nice guy & I am sure he can arrange a demo for u at ur home & also give u the best price... A few months back I was trying to organize a group buy for the TW6000 he was the only guy out of the 40+ dealers that I called who gave me a decent price plus offered to organize a demo for me... I took the demo & I must say its a very nice projector... Going by how nice the TW6000 is I am assuming the TW8000 will just blow me away :eek:hyeah: ...

BTW here is a reference video of 4 projectors side by side for a test... You will notice the skintones are much more natural in the TW8000(5010)...
Panasonic AE-7000U, AR-100U and Epson Home Cinema 3010 and 5010 go head-to-head - YouTube

Even I am planning to buy TW8000. Is it officially released in India yet? I heard lots of rave reviews about this projector in multiple online forums. I heard TW8000 offers very flexible placement options compared to TW6000. But if you are building a dedicated room, I think the placement flexibility may not be an issue. I saw the performance of TW6000 and it was awesome. 3D was great and reasonably bright. I think it performs as a great 2D projector as well.

One more fact about Epson 3D projectors is that you can use Sony Playstation 3D Active-Shutter glasses with them. PS 3D glasses are priced at $57 in Amazon. While the original Epson glasses will cost you $99.

-John

@rajadeep

regarding hdmi cables. so i should just go for hdmi cable v1.4 of ebay which 'll cost me about 2500 rs. for 15m then??

am not sure how to go about ceiling mount and stuff and therefore i was getting it done by a "home theater guy" who's basically a profx dealer in delhi since we dont have any exclusive profx showroom in delhi

i can provide him the cables and stuff and he can do the rest of wiring work.. so you think i should just go with 2500 rs hdmi cable and not go for an audioquest cable..? as it is i dont intend to spend much as i'll personally use my HT for about 6-8 months and after that i'll be going abroad for work for a very long time..
and then a new HT 4-5 yrs later :)

Thanks for the replies..

The 3D movies from your laptop will work ok. If you use powerdvd then you can even convert normal 2d to 3d and project it through your 3d capable projector. You do not need any special hardware but yes you do need powerdvd or any other capable software.

Hey Abhi
With your budget, I would suggest you to go for a 2D projector. If you could find any old models for a good price, go for it. Benq W6000 or an Optoma HD 82 are great models and they are DLPs.
Don't trust any of the reviews and only your eyes. I had been reading reviews since last october and last weekend, I decided to pick either Epson 5010, Panasonic 7k or Benq W7k because I am interested in a little 3D myself.
I called a dealer about my choice and he asked me to come for a demo and decide.
I ended up buying JVC RS45 (X30). It was a no brainer and the 2D performance was easily the best for JVC. Wasn't really impressed with 3D oon pana or JVC (somewhat dim on 108" screen on demo). He told me that reviews are highly skewed towards Epson and Panasonic due to their contribution in terms of advertising to those review sites.
My brother is using an HD21. He wasn't happy with the black levels and bought a ND filter. He says that the perfomance is much better and you could look into that as an option.

@abhilash
Thanks for your opinion.. But you see although I am a movie addict.. Its a pain to fot these demos.. Specially in Delhi.m hardly any dedicated places..
The demo place I went to had a 85" screen.. So all projectors mostly looked pretty ok.. Couldn't see a noticible difference.. So I m kinda ending up trusting on reviews..
I understand your opinion and may be my 2nd projector will be highly reviewed by me personally..
But now with a budget of any 1 lac... I personally think Epson tw6000 is the way to go. Though I haven't been able to demo it yet.

Hey Abhi
With your budget, I would suggest you to go for a 2D projector. If you could find any old models for a good price, go for it. Benq W6000 or an Optoma HD 82 are great models and they are DLPs.
Don't trust any of the reviews and only your eyes. I had been reading reviews since last october and last weekend, I decided to pick either Epson 5010, Panasonic 7k or Benq W7k because I am interested in a little 3D myself.
I called a dealer about my choice and he asked me to come for a demo and decide.
I ended up buying JVC RS45 (X30). It was a no brainer and the 2D performance was easily the best for JVC. Wasn't really impressed with 3D oon pana or JVC (somewhat dim on 108" screen on demo). He told me that reviews are highly skewed towards Epson and Panasonic due to their contribution in terms of advertising to those review sites.
My brother is using an HD21. He wasn't happy with the black levels and bought a ND filter. He says that the perfomance is much better and you could look into that as an option.

At what price you bought JVCRS45

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back