4 core speaker cable - Belden 1310a or Mogami 2972?

Mayank Shah

My 2ch setup is slowly coming together and hoping to rig up everything soon. Initially I would like to bi-wire my Tannoy XT8F and later experiment with bi-amping. Honestly, I don't know if it is going to make a difference. Since the wiring work at home is coming together, I would like to run a 4 core wire now. I prefer bare wire connections or at the most banana plugs for convenience.

These 2 wires mentioned are readily and easily available. Belden 1310a is about 400 per meter (14 AWG each core) and the Mogami 2972 is about 750 per meter (15 AWG per core). I do not wish to spend anymore than this.

Each channel will be around 3 meters (10 feet). I do not have the option to run 2 x 2 core wires per channel and hence a 4 core wire in one outer sleeve. Since the per channel lengths are quite short, I do not know if running different AWG's for bass and mids would make a difference.

I do have some 14 AWG multi soft strand wires lying around which I will need to play with.

Keeping all the technicalities aside, which of these 2 would be better. Please do suggest any other 4 core wire within 750 per meter range. I am also open to much cheaper and unbranded cables, but the first preference would be that it has to be in one sleeve.

Will be experimenting with regular, manually twisted electrical wires as well. Hoping to get back home soon and start enjoying the music.

Tannoy XT8F will be driven by 230 wpc poweramp, the first 10 watts of which are Class A.

My 2ch setup is slowly coming together and hoping to rig up everything soon. Initially I would like to bi-wire my Tannoy XT8F and later experiment with bi-amping. Honestly, I don't know if it is going to make a difference. Since the wiring work at home is coming together, I would like to run a 4 core wire now. I prefer bare wire connections or at the most banana plugs for convenience.

These 2 wires mentioned are readily and easily available. Belden 1310a is about 400 per meter (14 AWG each core) and the Mogami 2972 is about 750 per meter (15 AWG per core). I do not wish to spend anymore than this.

Each channel will be around 3 meters (10 feet). I do not have the option to run 2 x 2 core wires per channel and hence a 4 core wire in one outer sleeve. Since the per channel lengths are quite short, I do not know if running different AWG's for bass and mids would make a difference.

I do have some 14 AWG multi soft strand wires lying around which I will need to play with.

Keeping all the technicalities aside, which of these 2 would be better. Please do suggest any other 4 core wire within 750 per meter range. I am also open to much cheaper and unbranded cables, but the first preference would be that it has to be in one sleeve.

Will be experimenting with regular, manually twisted electrical wires as well. Hoping to get back home soon and start enjoying the music.

Tannoy XT8F will be driven by 230 wpc poweramp, the first 10 watts of which are Class A.
Hi
I had amazon basic 16gauge cable n was not happy with output lagging mid bass n few details n was very low vocal. Later 2 weeks ago changed to belden 8477 bought at good price in group buy in Bangalore which significantly changed the quality of sound n improved mid n details n vocal clarity check out this cable can help u getting better for ur setup.

I have been using Van Damme Hifi series speaker and interconnect cable and found really good and they are priced at part or even less than international price. Got introduced to this brand as the internal wiring of Harbeth uses the same brand cable. The official distributor is in Bangalore https://www.ansata.net
You can try Van Damme cable (Just checked with them and they have the below in stock):

Van Damme Black Series Tour Grade 4 x 4.00mm multicore INR 570.00 + GST
Van Damme Black Series Tour Grade 4 x 2.50mm multicore INR 360.00 + GST Prices are per meter.

30% discount on the above prices if bought more than 10 meters.

If interested can pass on the direct contact from Ansata.

iirc the xt8f does tend to have a bloated bass and a bright treble. Iso bare copper, I'd suggest you use tinned copper like the Belden 8471/77 to tame the low and top end a bit. If you can use two cables in parallel then have a look at FM jls001's technique explained here

iirc the xt8f does tend to have a bloated bass and a bright treble. Iso bare copper, I'd suggest you use tinned copper like the Belden 8471/77 to tame the low and top end a bit. If you can use two cables in parallel then have a look at FM jls001's technique explained here
Thanks. Would you be able to recollect under what conditions you felt so.

Thanks. Would you be able to recollect under what conditions you felt so.
I heard them at a friend's place a very long time ago hehe. I vaguely recall it was a denon amp paired with the xt8f. It might have also been the unfurnished/untreated small apartment that contributed to the bloated bass and piercing treble but on the whole they are excellent speakers for the money if paired with the right gear! What speaker cable did you select?

2972 is a warm cable. I dont know about belden. I never preferred biwiring, it creates a hollow sound though more 3d and some people like that. Biamping would surely on another level but its tricky and expensive to setup.

I heard them at a friend's place a very long time ago hehe. I vaguely recall it was a denon amp paired with the xt8f. It might have also been the unfurnished/untreated small apartment that contributed to the bloated bass and piercing treble but on the whole they are excellent speakers for the money if paired with the right gear! What speaker cable did you select?
Yes, she isn't for small, smallish rooms. Have got hold of a reel of WE magnet wire.....that will be a fun experiment.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back