40" LCD - Samsung/Sony/Panasonic

Which is the BEST overall LCD in the 40" space?

• Sony

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Samsung

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seshanvr

Folks:

I am in the process of getting myself a new 40" LCD and have visited several showrooms and seen "demos". I have also read all the reviews on hifivision.com (being a new member myself and this being my first post).

I NEED YOUR HELP in helping me decide.

Here are the facts:
a) I have 8-10 feet viewing distance.
b) I will be watching STB/DVD/Dish video feeds only
c) Money is not too much of a constrant but I do prefer value for money!
d) It would be nice to have USB connectivity

Now, here come the questions:
a) Is 40" too big or just the right size fo rmy viewing distance?
b) I checked out the Panasonic 800 series and compared against Sony (V) and Samsung (5). I thought the Panasonic was better. The dealer said it had 100 Hz compared to 50-60 hz on the Sony (V)/Sam (5). Does Hertz matter?
c) At this size I gather all are Full HD, so what are the other parameters I ought to compare?
d) Can you tell me which is the best overall - better yet help me rank them on a price vs quality vs value for money?

Your inputs would be real helpful.

a) 40" is good for that distance for SD. For HD you can be even closer.

b) 100 hz makes a difference, as this makes motion smoother, and with LCDs this is a serious issue.

c) Neither the Sony V series, nor the Panasonic LX800 are Full HD, as far as I know. however, if panasonic has introduced its LZ800 that would be Full HD. THe Samsung 5 series is Full HD. Sony and Samsung will have better contrast , compared to the Panasonic. Viewing angle should be better on the Panasonic.

d) I have not seen the Panasonic, but between the Sony V series and the Samsung 5 series I would definitely go for the Samsung. It is Full HD, and Sony is generally a bit more expensive. If you watch a lot of sports, or stuff that has movement, then the 100hz on he panasonic might be very useful.

If Full HD is not essential (as this is expensive) why don't you consider a 42" Plasma?

Folks:

I am in the process of getting myself a new 40" LCD and have visited several showrooms and seen "demos". I have also read all the reviews on hifivision.com (being a new member myself and this being my first post).

I NEED YOUR HELP in helping me decide.

Here are the facts:
a) I have 8-10 feet viewing distance.
b) I will be watching STB/DVD/Dish video feeds only
c) Money is not too much of a constrant but I do prefer value for money!
d) It would be nice to have USB connectivity

Now, here come the questions:
a) Is 40" too big or just the right size fo rmy viewing distance?
b) I checked out the Panasonic 800 series and compared against Sony (V) and Samsung (5). I thought the Panasonic was better. The dealer said it had 100 Hz compared to 50-60 hz on the Sony (V)/Sam (5). Does Hertz matter?
c) At this size I gather all are Full HD, so what are the other parameters I ought to compare?
d) Can you tell me which is the best overall - better yet help me rank them on a price vs quality vs value for money?

Your inputs would be real helpful.

Thanks for your response psychotropic.

Apparently Panasonic does not have a 40" in the LX800 series. So that leaves Sony and Samsung.

Sony V 40" is Full HD indeed (V 32 is not). Samsung has a compelling story too, especially also from a cost standpoint.

The Sony W series and Samsung 6 series are 100 Hz but pricey.

I have read so many reviews and (as recommended by you) gradually coming to the conclusion that Samsung is preferred to Sony by most people and I might just follow the same decision.

well of the lot my vote goes for sony V series as a slight better shadow details compared to samsung series 5 .so the question is are u prepared to pay the extra for sony.

Well tough call as your question rightly points out. But how much of the shadow details (or lack of it) is really going to matter while watching STB/dish/DVD?? Especially for the first time LCD user like me?

I might not even notice such a difference!

Also do note that the difference between the Sony - S series and the V series is just the Digital Media Port (where you can connect the Sony Walkman, MP3 Player, iPOD+ etc) and the difference in the price is around 7000/-

Well tough call as your question rightly points out. But how much of the shadow details (or lack of it) is really going to matter while watching STB/dish/DVD?? Especially for the first time LCD user like me?

I might not even notice such a difference!

well u will notice it in every content be it HD content or ur local cable wala,and dont forget that CRTs have even higher contrast then all flat panel displays except for OLED screens.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back