4k with older AVRs

Amarendra

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone is able to use older AVRs without HDCP 2.2 to passthrough 4k signals to a 4k TV or PJ. For example the Marantz SR 7007 talks of 4k passthrough and upscale but none of its HDMI ports support HDCP 2.2. So if I connect a amazon fire tv stick to the AVR will it display a 4k image on my 4k TV ?
If not is it possible to use a HDMI splitter to achieve this ? (sound processing by AVR and picture straight on TV ? Ditto for lets say a media player like Nvidia Shield.

Thanks

Does it mean that if a 4K fire tv stick is connected to an older receiver (HDMI 1.4), there will be no signal on TV ?

Does it mean that if a 4K fire tv stick is connected to an older receiver (HDMI 1.4), there will be no signal on TV ?
It will work just fine, however the device and TV will fall back to the highest rate possible via HDMI 1.4 i.e. 4K limited to 24 hz, no HDR
,no ATMOS etc

Practically speaking, the only reason you may want to use a HDMI splitter/extractor is if you really really want HDR at 4K because audio via extractor will anyway be rate limited to what you would have got through a direct connection

lf AVR has arc,then source can be connected to TV and let TV pass audio to avr via arc.Lt supports DD/DTS 5.1.

The ARC in my TV only outputs stereo. Hence the need to first connect the fire tv/ nvidia shield to an AVR and then AVR to TV. If older AVRs can out put 4k at lets say 30 hz without HDR then what is the fuss about HDCP 2.2 all about. In my understanding the HDMI port had to be necessarily HDCP 2.2 compliant to accept 4k signal ?

Ok thanks. So do the 4k shows or movies on Netflix or amazon prime need hdcp 2.2 ?
As said before, everything will work but will be limited to 8bit color (i.e. no HDR) and 24hz (which is good for movies which are at the same native refresh rate although not necessarily for TV)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back