5.1.2 speakers for Yamaha RX-V585

Ok.. Then you don't have much options.. All you can do now in the present position is, keep the speakers on either sides to the TV, firmly on the unit..
Yes, that is the plan.. but I am so much confused between zensor 5 and 3...
Dimensions With Base (HxWxD) [mm]
Z5: 825 x 162 x 253
Z3: 351 x 205 x 293
So Z3 is larger in foot print than Z5.
Z3 has 7" driver with rear port
Z5 has two 5.25" driver with front port
Which one will be more suited to my setup?

Hi everyone,
I got an Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver. I want a decent 5.1.2 setup (usage- movie:music=50:50). Living room size is 10×24 feet with viewing area 10×12 feet (couch 12 feet away from tv, rear side of couch open). I am thinking about Dali Zensor 3/5 as front LR, Zensor Vokal as center, Spektor 1 as surrounds, Polk Audio OWM-3 as atmos and Polk PSW110 as sub.
Please help me out with the following:
1. According to my room what to choose for front LR: Zensor 3 or 5?
2. Will Spektor 1 as surround with Zensor LCR be a problem considering sound match?
3. Are sub and atmos choices correct with respect to Dali?
4. Dalis are rated 6 ohms but Polk OWMs are 8 ohms- will mixing different impedance speakers be a problem?
5. What cables should I use for connecting the speakers?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
u can buy q acoustics 3020 or wharfedale Diamond 225 as fornt , Zensor Vokal or Polk S35 as center ,

Last edited:
Fine.. If budget isn't a concern, then Z1 for surrounds..
Z1 pair is about 3-4k more than spektor 1 pair. They are not in stock currently. I guess i will wait for them.
Final question, for stereo mode music.. z3 or z5 LR according to you?

Z1 pair is about 3-4k more than spektor 1 pair. They are not in stock currently. I guess i will wait for them.

Since you are getting rest of the speakers, try to negotiate Z1 for the price of spektor 1.

Final question, for stereo mode music.. z3 or z5 LR according to you?

For the space limitations you have, Z1 is just fine.. But i believe you are concerned abt lesser bass ability in Z1 over Z3.. So get the Z3..

With a FS like Z5 over that TV unit (guess, should be 3ft high), may just not be right as you will overshoot the tweeter height at ear level by a long margin..

Hope, you are getting a subwoofer too..

Since you are getting rest of the speakers, try to negotiate Z1 for the price of spektor 1.

For the space limitations you have, Z1 is just fine.. But i believe you are concerned abt lesser bass ability in Z1 over Z3.. So get the Z3..

With a FS like Z5 over that TV unit (guess, should be 3ft high), may just not be right as you will overshoot the tweeter height at ear level by a long margin..

Hope, you are getting a subwoofer too..
The TV unit is below 2 feet (22.5 inches height).
Actually Z5s have same foot print as Z1s, just they are taller. At around 80 inches, they are the same height as the TV. Whereas z3 has footprint close to Z7.
The thing that draws me to z3 over z1 is the 7 inch driver over 5.25inch. The Z5 has 2 5.25s. Since I will be using the LR at times for stereo music, I am so worried and confused :(
One more question: Say if I put the crossover for sub at 70hz, will the speakers continue to play sounds below 70hz in adddition to the sub, or the sub will take up below 70hz sounds totally cutting them off from the speakers?

Last edited:
The TV unit is below 2 feet (22.5 inches height).
Actually Z5s have same foot print as Z1s, just they are taller. At around 80 inches, they are the same height as the TV. Whereas z3 has footprint close to Z7.
The thing that draws me to z3 over z1 is the 7 inch driver over 5.25inch. The Z5 has 2 5.25s. Since I will be using the LR at times for stereo music, I am so worried and confused :(

The 7 inch drivers are more than enough for bass at this point...again it depends on your source quality and content used for playback....

One more question: Say if I put the crossover for sub at 70hz, will the speakers continue to play sounds below 70hz in adddition to the sub, or the sub will take up below 70hz sounds totally cutting them off from the speakers?

If the speakers are set as small.....it will play only till 70hz...rest will be sent to Sub.......there is a setting called MAIN + LFE....see the manual....this way both speakers and sub get bass....if the speakers are set to Large...all frequencies below 70hz will also go to the fronts (manual tweaking)

If the speakers are set as small.....it will play only till 70hz...rest will be sent to Sub.......there is a setting called MAIN + LFE....see the manual....this way both speakers and sub get bass....if the speakers are set to Large...all frequencies below 70hz will also go to the fronts (manual tweaking)
So considering I will be having a sub which of z1/z3/z5 makes sense as front LR?
Also, if I set to 2 channel stereo on receiver, it will be 2 or 2.1 depending on whether i set the suwoofer to on or off, right?

The thing that draws me to z3 over z1 is the 7 inch driver over 5.25inch. The Z5 has 2 5.25s. Since I will be using the LR at times for stereo music, I am so worried and confused

Ok, per the Z3/Z1 specs mentioned earlier, Z3 does only lil more Hz than Z1.. This is nothing to worry abt.. It is not something you can distinguish..

The sub will take up below 70 Hz..

So considering I will be having a sub which of z1/z3/z5 makes sense as front LR?

Z1..

Also, if I set to 2 channel stereo on receiver, it will be 2 or 2.1 depending on whether i set the suwoofer to on or off, right?

You can use 2.0 (or) 2.1.. It is your choice..

So the zensor 3 it is!!!! I got z3 pair and z vokal as of now... will add z1 pair as surrounds next.. then sub.. and then atmos in the coming months... Thank you everyone for your valuable advice.. specially @efernand1 and @elangoas..

I am playing out the speakers at low volume for sometime now.. (may be 20hrs done) then gradually I will increase the volume in stages.. that is the plan for burn in.. is it correct?

But I am having a problem.. when I choose input source set top box connected to HDMI2, the volume is very low (say -15db required for audible dialogue volume) while fm tuner (-35db for the same level of volume) or net radio (-40db for same) require much lower volume. I have put the input gain at max (+6db) for hdmi2 source.. still this is happening.. and due to this.. when switching from cable to radio.. there is a sudden jump in volume and the speakers start playing at full blast.. I am worried as this is going to be bad for my new speakers which are not burnt in properly yet.. I try to lower the volume before switching sources.. but twice I have forgot and this has happened.. I reduced the volume within 5 secs though.. Please advice..

Last edited:
But I am having a problem.. when I choose input source set top box connected to HDMI2, the volume is very low (say -15db required for audible dialogue volume) while fm tuner (-35db for the same level of volume) or net radio (-40db for same) require much lower volume. I have put the input gain at max (+6db) for hdmi2 source.. still this is happening.. and due to this.. when switching from cable to radio.. there is a sudden jump in volume and the speakers start playing at full blast.. I am worried as this is going to be bad for my new speakers which are not burnt in properly yet.. I try to lower the volume before switching sources.. but twice I have forgot and this has happened.. I reduced the volume within 5 secs though.. Please advice..

Please check if the STB volume is set to full with its remote first and leave it like that, so that you can use AVR volume.. Before you do this step, reduce the AVR volume..

Last edited:
So the zensor 3 it is!!!! I got z3 pair and z vokal as of now... will add z1 pair as surrounds next.. then sub.. and then atmos in the coming months... Thank you everyone for your valuable advice.. specially @efernand1 and @elangoas..

I am playing out the speakers at low volume for sometime now.. (may be 20hrs done) then gradually I will increase the volume in stages.. that is the plan for burn in.. is it correct?

SOme sources are low in volume and so you can manually increase the source volume levels on the AVR...pls check the owners manual...steps will be mentioned on how to do it......set top box FM etc are always low......

SOme sources are low in volume and so you can manually increase the source volume levels on the AVR...pls check the owners manual...steps will be mentioned on how to do it......set top box FM etc are always low......
Yes there is something called as input trim in Yamaha receivers.. so you can increase the level for the STB input

Yes there is something called as input trim in Yamaha receivers.. so you can increase the level for the STB input
Yes.. i have already increased input trim to max (+6db) for STB..

Fm plays good at -35db.. but stb requires -15db for same level.. at -22db it becomes barely audible..
Once or twice that my speakers have been put for sudden blast for brief period.. did it cause harm to my speakers? :'(

Fm plays good at -35db.. but stb requires -15db for same level.. at -22db it becomes barely audible..
Once or twice that my speakers have been put for sudden blast for brief period.. did it cause harm to my speakers? :'(

speakers are designed to handle continuous and peak levels of sources......i dont think anything happened...if it did. you would have noticed some damage on different sources at low levels during playback

Yes.. i have already increased input trim to max (+6db) for STB..

Why dont you setup scenes/.. so scene 1 would be for STB with volume -15db and input as the HDMI you use for STB
Then scene 2 for FM and desired volume.
Now you can change from STB to FM and vice versa using scene 1 and scene 2 and it would automatically set the volume also
You can check user manual to find how this is done
regards

Why dont you setup scenes/.. so scene 1 would be for STB with volume -15db and input as the HDMI you use for STB
Then scene 2 for FM and desired volume.
Now you can change from STB to FM and vice versa using scene 1 and scene 2 and it would automatically set the volume also
You can check user manual to find how this is done
regards
I have set up scenes.. but i dont think volume level is associated with each scene.. only input.. output.. sound program and such are associated..

I have set up scenes.. but i dont think volume level is associated with each scene.. only input.. output.. sound program and such are associated..
I don't know about your model.. but volume level is supported in my RXV683

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back