5.1 Home Theatre for 45K

R@jesh

Hello guys..

This is my first post !

I want to buy an LCD TV and a 5.1 channel Home Theatre System and I'm quite confused about which one to buy. My budget is around 20K for the AV Receiver and 25K for the speakers. I would use them mainly for movies. I also plan to use them with my HTPC.

Until this moment I thought Sony HT's where the best (and never knew Yamaha manufactured high end audio equipments:lol:).

What do you guys suggest about the new LED LCDs...should I get them or should I get a high end LCD (from existing LCD TV range) ?

Hello guys..

This is my first post !

I want to buy an LCD TV and a 5.1 channel Home Theatre System and I'm quite confused about which one to buy. My budget is around 20K for the AV Receiver and 25K for the speakers. I would use them mainly for movies. I also plan to use them with my HTPC.

Until this moment I thought Sony HT's where the best (and never knew Yamaha manufactured high end audio equipments:lol:).

What do you guys suggest about the new LED LCDs...should I get them or should I get a high end LCD (from existing LCD TV range) ?

dude a decent avr will set you back by 35-40k.

So i suggest go get a Yamaha YHT 195 (yamaha 363 + 5.1 speaker package=22k)/Onkyo 3105(22k)/5105(35k). You can save money here and get better speakers later. (remember good speakers usually last a long long time).

Save money here and put in in the display unit. Wait out the LED wave - get a good LCD in that segment. If you plan to use the screen as a HTPC screen go for the LG 80 series 42"" - is full HD, is a great performer and impeccable text rendition.

LEDs have great contrast ratios but are not VFM as of now - a 40" cost upward of 145k. Do not spend money on a sony v(72k)/w(95k) series go for the LG 80 (75-80k). BTW the sony x series is great too - buy it if you can afford it.

Hi!
I am in the 'hunt' mode too with some serious budget constraints - so thought i'd share my 2 cents. I agree with Suprateep that good speakers will last a long time and you should look only at floorstanders for now. But getting good floorstanders in about 20K is tough. And i say 20K for speakers since for 25K you can get Denon 1509 at ProFx. I listened to it (I dont think it has the latest DTS standard) - but the sound is way better than the Yamaha.
Since it's home theater - Would you want to consider the sat+sub combination from Lithos? Their Noa1 system is 18500 or so (vat inclusive) and covers rooms upto 350 sqft. I would actually really recommend that you listen to some indian brands such as lithos, norge, etc before taking a decision given your price constaints. They seem to have some repute. Since you're in mumbai you should be able to audition both lithos and norge.
I'm yet to find an OK sounding imported floorstander for less than about 30K (wharfedale 9.5 / Monitor Audio, etc are all higher than that) . So it might be worthwhile to get the sat+sub and when you have more money add the FS and use the sats as rear sats :)
For the 'in a box' system - denon as a DVD playe + sat + sub HTIB for about 55K (higher than your budget - but sounds good for an HTIB). Being in mumbai, you'll have the most choices compared to any city in India!!
good luck!
Vaibhav

only reason that i suggested the YHT 195 is that with time he has a chance to upgrade the AVR too. While surround speakers with the YHT 195 will serve him for some time, the fronts (towers/bookshelves) when bought judiciously can last a long time without a need to upgrade.

Since you are in mumbai go visit atria mall. Check out sonodyne too. You will have a lot fo choices there.

Denon 1509 is good but no fun in movies and i am sure movies will constitute a major chunk of the time spent with the AVR. yamaha is in between when it comes to music and movies. Onkyo last in music, first in movies in that price segment. I still think the 5105 will be a good choice and you can actually pair good budget bookshelves like psb image (dont remember the model number)/wharfdale 9.1-9.2/Norge to bridge the gap up in stereo

@suprateep - youve put me in some doubt now. I listened to denon 1509 yesterday (music only) with wharfedale 9.5 and monitor audio bronze FS.
It sounded quite good to me.
Is it no good in movies? My primary application is music but i want to leave room for future expansion (about 2 years or so down the line).
Is denon 1709 a better choice for music / movies combo?

@suprateep - youve put me in some doubt now. I listened to denon 1509 yesterday (music only) with wharfedale 9.5 and monitor audio bronze FS.
It sounded quite good to me.
Is it no good in movies? My primary application is music but i want to leave room for future expansion (about 2 years or so down the line).
Is denon 1709 a better choice for music / movies combo?

hey vaibhav - just one word of advice - 'You like it, You buy it, You have to live with it"

Onkyo 406/506/606 beats Denon 1509/1909 etc (in the same/similar price segment) in movies while denon turns the table in music. Onkyo is slightly harsh/forward in stereo while denon is laid back and nice when paired with slightly forward speakers. Denon 1509 with monitor aduio bronze should be a good choice - with wharf dale 9.5 would be muscial but less dynamics (auditioned it hence tellign you). Do not worry about the HT part too much if you do not plan to get a stereo amp later. Stick with the denon - you WILL listen to more music i am sure than watch movies in the long run

Last edited:
Hi
Check my earlier post( 1 wk back)

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/4223-av-kit-pricing-around-rs-40-k.html

These pricesare at hypercity -Inorbit Vashi

Posting so that people will get some benchmarks

1) Denon DHT 390 ( AVR-390 HDMI AV Surround Receiver and SYS-390HT 5.1 Speaker System , I think sub is active ) + Philips HDMI DVD Player DVP 3996 with HDMI Cable = 38K

2)Yamaha AMP HTR 6140 + FloorSatnders NS 8390 + Rear Bookshelf & Centre Pkg NSP 60 =37 K( 36899)

3) Jamo 5 Speaker Package with Front Towers S 406 HC S 1 @ 15 K( I am bit doubtful as this was offered at far higher price in the past)

Jamo S 406 HCS - Prices, Photos, Videos - Speaker Systems

Seems too Good Expert Reconfirm

------------

What is your location in Mumbai??

I think this is in your budget

IMHO YHT 195 s speakers are below avarage - in fact in Croma Malad Yamaha 6.1 speaker ystem was available @ Rs 5.5 k 1 Year back - also in YHT 195 Sub is Just 6 Inches which i feel equivalant to speaker.

Let me check this deal again..

A correction
Jamo Speaker package @ 16 K
Model Number S 406 HCS 1
It Includes
Tower Fronts - S 406
Center S 40 CEN
Rear Mini Bookshelfs - S 402

Just reserch about a good AVR - partner this and add SUB in future....
Also I asked if this is display peace -and sales person told that fresh pieces available.

I think price is really good ---
Expert comments please...

Rest - The DEnon and Yamaha packages still on display - In case of denon DVD is too free .. and HDMI cable free with DVD....:)))

Last edited:
What about a receiver which also does upscaling, as I don't want to get a separate DVD player for that ?

What about a receiver which also does upscaling, as I don't want to get a separate DVD player for that ?

a receiver that does upscaling would set you back by at least 40-42k (onkyo 606/denon 1909). If you have a LCD or a plasma leave the upscaling to that for the time being. You also plan to use a HTPC - that can do upscaling too IMHO

If you have a LCD or a plasma leave the upscaling to that for the time being. You also plan to use a HTPC - that can do upscaling too IMHO
I have not come across any LCD/Plasma in the VFM Indian models that does upscaling, or am I missing something? Based on personal experience, I suggest that you should for an upscaling DVD player like Pio-610, rather than leaving it to the LCD/Plasma.

I have not come across any LCD/Plasma in the VFM Indian models that does upscaling, or am I missing something? Based on personal experience, I suggest that you should for an upscaling DVD player like Pio-610, rather than leaving it to the LCD/Plasma.

And i thought (experts please clarify) that all LCD/Plasmas upscaled (the quality need nto be that great). By the way with a proper HTPC at disposal - it could make make any DVD player (mid level atleast) bite the dust when it comes to scaling and PQ.

LCD has to upscale / change resolution to its native resolution. Refer older thread:

http://www.hifivision.com/television/1038-do-lcd-tvs-upscale-all-inputs.html

Videcon is great VFM - new haute range. 24k odd for 32 inch TV.
LG recently ran some promos in hypercity dropping price to about 30k for a large TV .. 37inch if i remember correctly.

BTW a panay le8 is gr8 VFM in the 30k range. Its HD ready though.

Another HD ready TB with great PQ is the Sharp Aquos. We just auditioned it - its great. Only where the panny le8 loses out is in the text rendition where it appears slightly blurry. Apart from it the level of detail on the le8 (halo3) surpassed the sammy 32 a550/b530 and the sharp aquos.

BTW a panay le8 is gr8 VFM in the 30k range. Its HD ready though.

Another HD ready TB with great PQ is the Sharp Aquos. We just auditioned it - its great. Only where the panny le8 loses out is in the text rendition where it appears slightly blurry. Apart from it the level of detail on the le8 (halo3) surpassed the sammy 32 a550/b530 and the sharp aquos.

Even I felt the Panasonic and the Sharp Aquos were the best and even Philips compared favorably... leaving the others behind.

Settled on the Panasonic since was not sure about the after sales service for Sharp. No regrets whatsoever. Even Tata Sky looks good on it. DVDs/Divx rips absolutely are stunning.

Even I felt the Panasonic and the Sharp Aquos were the best and even Philips compared favorably... leaving the others behind.

Settled on the Panasonic since was not sure about the after sales service for Sharp. No regrets whatsoever. Even Tata Sky looks good on it. DVDs/Divx rips absolutely are stunning.

believe me the level of detail and colour that panny le8, lx800 rendered in halo 3 was way way way better than the Samsung A550 or even the Sharp for that matter. I also had a chance to see the Samsung B530 (5 series new model) and found the coulors and contrat matching the panny le8, lx800 but still way off in the details - and seemed to be very soft too.

The only place where panny loses out is in text rendition - sharp did the best rendition closely matched by samsung. Panny lost out because of overscan issues (that can be fixed) - but the text distortion remained.

Well to my eyes and the other 3 family members who were with me the Sharp was certainly better than Samsung and LG. In fact very little difference and very little to choose between Panasonic, Philips and Sharp in the 32" LCD segment that we saw. And this was for all kinds of content thrown at it like SD - STB, DVDs, Divx, HD Ready and Full HD content too.

Well to my eyes and the other 3 family members who were with me the Sharp was certainly better than Samsung and LG. In fact very little difference and very little to choose between Panasonic, Philips and Sharp in the 32" LCD segment that we saw. And this was for all kinds of content thrown at it like SD - STB, DVDs, Divx, HD Ready and Full HD content too.

I liked sharps SD picQ,but when I checked panal with news ch,I found letters running at bottom were uneven.

Which one should I go for

Samsung LA40A610
LG Scarlett 42LG60FR
Sharp LC 42A65
VIERA TX-42LZ80
Sony KLV 40V400A

A guy from Croma told me that Scarlett Series would be phased out very soon. Is that true ?

Also from another post, I learnt that Croma is selling LA-40A650A at a discount (76,500)..:eek:

Or should I go with the LG 80 as said by suprateep...

As Plasmas have low native resolution(1024 X 768)...would that mean they cannot display HD Ccntent better than LCD..

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back