5.1 HT build one or go for a htib..?

uberhurtz

Hi people,
I'm thinking about getting a 5.1 system,but I'm not sure about which way to go..
For 30k is it possible to get a decent sound by buying the speakers,amps and sub separately or should I go for a htib?

I need it to be an all rounder of sorts(I play music and games and the occasional movie) while my family will probably be watching a lot of movies on it..).

If building one is better,how should the cash be split..as in..amp/sub/surrounds/center/fronts? Or maybe get the amp from a company and the speakers from another one?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Hi people,
I'm thinking about getting a 5.1 system,but I'm not sure about which way to go..
For 30k is it possible to get a decent sound by buying the speakers,amps and sub separately or should I go for a htib?

Personal satisfaction has no direct correlation to the cost of your equipment. Some people are satisfied with systems at half your budget while others are not even with 3-4 times yours.

having said this, it will be stretch to get separates with your budget unless you are looking at low end or used.

I would suggest to get a decent HTiB well within your budget that has decent connectivity and build your system around the AVR piece over the next few years. This has a better return than a closed system (meaning compatible with selected components from the same manufacturer).

Onkyo, Yamaha are front runners for what I am referring to while there are others. Go ahead take your fav tunes and audition some of these to get a feel.

I need it to be an all rounder of sorts(I play music and games and the occasional movie) while my family will probably be watching a lot of movies on it..).

If building one is better,how should the cash be split..as in..amp/sub/surrounds/center/fronts? Or maybe get the amp from a company and the speakers from another one?

Thanks guys.

I still suggest HTiB but if you are hell bent on building around and AVR at this time, you need to increase your budget by 10-15K. Is this doable? I could suggest more options then with bookshelves and sub.

uberhurtz, since you are in Chennai, I would suggest you go and meet with Mark of Audiocraft. He might be able to get together a system for you at around the budget you have mentioned including the 5.1 amp and speakers. I have heard his systems, and I can vouch for them. Get a Pioneer DVD Player at around 7K, and you are all set.

Contact Audiocraft at 2852 1243.

Cheers

marsilians has given great pointers. I would only say for 30K you would get great entry level systems from Yamaha and Onkyo that would give very good bang for buck. Have a listen and decide for yourself.

My 2 cents on this would be to follow the steps below

*Before commiting on anything listen & see. Your ears and eyes are your best friend.
*Consider the future or to put it in a different way How future -proof is your present choice?
*Then consider the options at a slightly higher price level , say by adding 15-20k to your present budget.

To speak from my experience I found the system of my choice after browsing through showrooms for a period of at least 3 months.Now I am really enjoying my system because my choice was based on my taste.My ears and eyes did the testing.

What i am coming to is the fact that both 5.1HT build from scratch or a ready made htib will be good for you. The choice is up to you.You have to do the hard work and arrive at the solution.This is based on the assumption that you are not a novice to the field of Home Theatre and it's setup.:)

Thanks for the replies guys...

I thought it was possible to get a better setup for cheaper by assembling one myself like in computers..but building one seems to be more expesive here(I think)..and I'm also pretty new to the home theater thing..

Anyway will do a bit more research...I've short listed these as of now:
Onkyo 5105
Philips 4750
Sony DZ777
Sonodyne...??

Will probably try demo these...does yamaha have a showroom here in chennai?
One thing I'm worried about is that most of these receivers are only 1080p compatible and not 1080p...my tv(a 42 inch LG scarlett..prob .not decided though...)...will be 1080..so I'll miss out on full HD though :(. But will think about all that after I demo these speaker...

I will check out audiocraft,thanks venkat...btw anyone know how good torvin speakers are? And also pure acoustic speaker..they seem to have a love or hate relationship with most reviews on the net(most hate seems to be based on the word china though..)...

Last edited:
Well...Apparently when I was off at work my dad bought a sony 870(5.1)..

*sigh* It doesnt sound too good.

I guess I gotta save more money and buy another set later and ask him to move his into his room..

I auditioned a few speakers..over the weekend.. though:
1)Onkyo 3110:This was okay I didnt like it a lot,bass was okay,but I didnt like the highs o,they seemed muffled,while playing music cd's..

2)Philips 4750:Sound clarity was nice,bu the setting it was played at,it was too bright and I felt it lacked bass..

3)SOny 570:The mids and highs were okay,but the bass was pretty sloppy,it didnt sound too bad,but the music just didnt seem right..

4)Jamo:I didnt even know about this brand,I thought I was actually checking out the onkyo 5110,when I realized that sound was coming out from just two speakers,then the shopkeeper chcked and said the onkyo wasnt connected and it was the jamo...this was pretty awesome! EVerything just sounded perfect! I LOVED it...but the only problem was before I could listen more,I was dragged out..Will go again and find..These were really cool..But I guess they;ll be pretty expensive too :(

You are invited to check the 4750 in my house :)

To be frank, base is what I loved in 4750 as it has powered Sub woofer unlike other models

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back