5.1 speaker affordable/cheap advice for PC gaming without receiver

arnprasad

Hi. I have got a new PC assembled for kids gaming and I want them 5.1 setup for less than 5K if possible. I am not expecting anything great at this price range. But is it possible to get 5 discrete channels at this price point without running them through a receiver?

Something like below - are they 4/5 discrete channels or they just take stereo from desktop as input and all 4/5 speakers have the same sound?

without receiver, you will either need a 5.1 soundcard like Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro or buy speaker like logitech z906 which has optical input and use a hdmi to optical convertor to connect.

Zebronics one is only stereo input. See the back panel photo in the link you provided. But logitech does have 5.1 input. You need an internal or external sound card with 5.1 out as mentioned by FMs above.

Guess none of the options mentioned are cheap. Let my kids enjoy sound from the Iffalcon TV speakers only :( Thank you for the responses.
Check if your motherboard provides for surround sound. You don't need a discrete sound card for that. There will be usually 3 sockets at the back - one will carry FL FR, one will carry C and Sub and the third will provide SBR and SBL.

Guess none of the options mentioned are cheap. Let my kids enjoy sound from the Iffalcon TV speakers only :( Thank you for the responses.
There are many options available from intex, iball etc. Just check with the local retailers. online prices seems bit high. These usually sells for 3000-4000/-

can you post which motherboard are you using for your pc?
Most motherboards in the price range of Rs. 8000+now-a-days have 5.1 sound card built in.

Your motherboard supports 7.1 hd audio, however you need to use hd front panel and use connection on both front as well as rear panel. Then you need a speaker system, which will accept music in this connection.

I guess, a neater way would be to get an audio card (external or internal), which has optical/coaxial out. Then choose a speaker system with optical/coaxial input connection. This will be a true 5.1/7.1 setup.

Mine is a Asrock B450M ..one year old along with Ryzen 6 1500..My point is how do I get 5.1 wires out of this into the speakers without receiver?

Your mobo surely supports 5.1 audio. AFAIK, a lot of response posted above are incorrect.
A sound card is not mandatory in your case.

Logitech z607 should work. I was using an older version Z506 (should cost ~5k).
It comes with 3 stereo cable. These Cable should be connected to Audio out, Microphone and Line-In jacks on mobo.

When you connect these cables to the jack, you should get a popup from RealTek audio manager(or similar app). It will prompt you to map whether the device that you have connected is Surround speakers or Mic.

Select Surround speakers and that is it.
I remember connecting the Speaker out to Front Left and Right speakers, Mic to Surround sides/rear and Line-in to Center and sub.

As i got confused with the answers, I had an old Yamaha receiver at Hyd which does not have HDMI but has optical. So I got it transported to Bangalore. Got one question..Might get an answer later today when i try it - but yeah...pls do chip in.

Since the receiver does not have HDMI - HDMI from my desktop will go to TV for the video. for the sound, I plan to connect optical from desktop to the receiver. I am hoping that HDMI will take only the video to TV and I can go to the sound settings and the sound can go from desktop to receiver( meaning i want my desktop to output video only via HDMI and audio via optical) I can then mute my TV in case sound goes out via HDMI as well. This will work? Thx

Just simply you can use the Logitech speaker without any sound card directly to your motherboard rear 3.5mm ports for 5.1 surround sound. Connect all three wires to these three ports and then open Realtek audio manager and select the 5.1 option and configure your ports as Front, Center, and rear channel. See the attached picture. Again from personal experience, I am saying that there is nothing you have to spend other than the Logitech speakers.

Annotation 2020-07-07 162509.jpg I

I did this for some time and it worked..however running three RCAs from mobo..somehow didnt feel secure. So I bought a Yamaha 1840 from a fellow member..so now all HDMI...no longer have to worry about all this!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back